how to remove and test 2003 shurflo hand pump faucet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by SpecialGreen, Jul 20, 2018.

1. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

We just bought our first camper ('03 Santa Fe), and it came with a hand-pump faucet. It looks just like this (which I borrowed from an ebay ad):
    [​IMG]

When sanitizing the fresh water tank, I was able to get some bleach water through... after about 50 pumps on the handle. I came back 5 minutes later, and can't get water, even with 100+ pumps. Does the pump/knob need to be rotate to the "On" position in order to pump water from the tank? Or "Off", or does it not matter?

I was going to pull out the faucet and test it in a bucket, and probably replace the line from the tank. But I can't see how the faucet is removed. Is it fastened from beneath, like a kitchen faucet? From above, I see four indentations where the faucet meets the sink, each about the width of a flat screwdriver blade. But I wanted to ask before shoving things around, because the plastic looks pretty flimsy and breakable. I swung-out the galley and propped it on a crate, but

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would think it has a nut underneath. The rubber seals inside the pump dry out.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

After you remove it , if you can get it dis-assembled, try some Vaseline on the seals to limber them up. Also there should be a ball in the bottom which acts as a check valve, check that it is free to move

4. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

I noticed an old post from 2011 ( http://www.popupportal.com/threads/sink-hand-pump-not-working.42877/#post-303034 )

When I fill my clean water tank, it fills until the water starts spilling back out the filler neck on the outside of the camper (there does not appear to be a working overflow valve underneath the pup). Is that normal for an '03 Coleman pup? Or might I have a problem with a check valve somewhere?

One other item: the previous owner (of 9 years' use) said they hadn't used the fresh water. However, I found the water tank to be 100% full. This is in Minnesota, so it's possible that the old tank was frozen solid through 9 winters.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine overflows there also , 2000 Coleman. The check valve is so when hooked up to city water it dosent fill and flow out your water tank. It's a one way valve. I think that's how it works anyway. Yes a frozen tank could lead to more frozen things and busted plumbing.

6. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Thankfully, my tank and hose seem OK: I connected a hand vacuum pump to the hose (where it would normally connect to the faucet/pump), and I'm able to pump water. So I think it's the faucet. I can't figure out how it comes off. Here's a picture of the underside. I can't find a ring, screws or bolts to loosen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Posting from a campground 500 miles from home :) )

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Success! I turned the faucet spigot sideways (may not be necessary), and was able to walk it up and off the base by using two screwdrivers on opposite sides. It's just a press-fit.

With the spigot off, I could pry the base loose. You need to pull the front lip forward and up, then repeat with the back lip. That reveals the four mounting screws.

There are two o-rings inside, which look good. Seems like plenty of silicone grease. Nothing obvious amiss. If there is a check valve, it's tucked away.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Sjm9911 likes this.