How to tell when water tank if full?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Delane Barrus, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Delane Barrus

Delane Barrus New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    I feel awfully dumb asking. I filled the tank thinking I would be able to see the water line. It is a thick acrylic cube toward the rear of the unit. I put a flashlight up...but you can't really see through it. Do most owners just let it run till they suspect it is full? How do you tell?

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    fill till it starts running back out

Delane Barrus, jnc, Fbird and 7 others like this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    First off make sure you are looking at the right tank. Some campers have more than one. All of the fresh water tanks in my camper history I could see the water level. I only fill them at the campground, water weights a lot so no sense towing it around. Do you know what the advertised capacity is? And if you are also filling the water heater thats six more gallons. To be sure fill it full with gallon jugs once. There is no problem filling the tank until it comes out the vent at the filler. With all this said, my black water tank (for our toilet) I can not see the water level, it is black plastic, so I fill it by the bucket, about 5 gallons total, when setting it up an empty tank.

Delane Barrus likes this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota.

When filling the fresh water tank, just let the water run into the filler hose until water starts coming back out. It may back splash for a couple of seconds. Don't use too much water pressure to do this or you could blow out the filler hose. It is also recommended to sanitize the tank at least once a year before you use it.

Delane Barrus likes this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    If you know the capacity of your water tank, you could use a meter to monitor the tank fill. I use the following in combination with the filler below. I attach the meter to the hose and the filler to the meter. You may also want to attach a Water Filter at the water faucet so what's going in your tank has been cleaned. You may also want to use a Water Pressure Regulator at the water faucet as well.

31uhYuCWzpL.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-56854-...pID=31uhYuCWzpL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

71mk+0YT7KL._SL1500_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutof...rd_wg=UhysP&psc=1&refRID=0HFW5JRYQJSMD4C0X9XS

61xtVHt1L8L._SL1050_.jpg

Delane Barrus, jnc and Popiworks like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    When shoes get wet, your tank is full.. Providing the tank drain is closed.

7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB

Snow..AGAIN you took the words right outta my mouth...lol....
    Great minds as they say [LOL][LOL][LOL]

Delane Barrus and Snow like this.
  8. Delane Barrus

Delane Barrus New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Thank you much for the awesome replies! I will go double-check our camping spot has culinary water at Zion National Park...and plan to fill there. I have filters also (for taste if nothing else), and blue hose for culinary water in...orange for grey out. I also purchased a pressure meter so I keep the pressure at a safe level when filling with city water.