Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by PopUpSteve, Sep 10, 2018.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Looks like the Mid-Atlantic states are going to get hit and it looks like it may stall over NC & VA for a few days.

What’s your plan for you, your family, your camper?

Be safe, be smart.

324C91DD-CB20-4654-A926-9D0D5D3B7F3F.jpeg

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Luckily it will miss Fl. (this time) I hope it is a fast mover, (but the weather geeks seem to think different and guess up to 2 ft. of rain)
    But there again, all they can do in estimate what Florence will do. I have some good friends in Wilmington N.C. and live withing spitting distance from the Ocean. Hopefully they are getting ready to move on out, but I haven't heard from them yet, The might have evacuated already.
    The folks in the path need to evacuate when directed to do so, as this thing sounds dangerous.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I'm in nj , still plan to buy some gas, make sure the generator runs, have extra water in case we loose water pressure. I fill up 3 clean garbage cans, for flushing or washing. For a few minutes of preparing, you can save your self a lot of trouble if the worse happens. People think I'm a bit nuts, untill they need to borrow something that they didn't have on hand. Good thing is the garage is almost cleared out to house the pop up. It atually is cool to know, that I can use it if I need to.

4. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

For now we are planning on weathering out the storm in Chapel Hill North Carolina. But if a catastrophe we’d hook up the Pup and head up north to Warminster Pennsylvania to our closet relatives. Still hoping for the best especially since our house is on high ground.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm far enough inland that the winds shouldn't be that damaging although flooding is going to be a huge possibility. Gosh knows we've already had a bunch of rain and now a whole lot more is coming. Going camping soon but it doesn't sound like I'm going to beat the storm.

6. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    Picked up 3 gal of water this evening. Gonna check the generator and maybe the chainsaw tomorrow. Fill some buckets with water. I'm expecting power outage, even though we're inland.

The pup stays where it's at. Hopefully, Florence won't test how tough the grizzly grip is! Like @jmkay I am concerned with road flooding and downed trees.

7. Kampus

Kampus Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Slate Belt, Pa
    Hoping to get at least of few hours of sun before the rain Florence will bring here to dry out from this past weekend.
    Otherwise, if the wind picks up, I may have to take her down wet again and start over.

While it doesnt look like we are going to get anything other than more rain here, we are still fueling up the house generator, flushing our water storage and refilling the water storage, and filling the spare propane tanks just in case...lesson learned from Sandy.

Best of luck to everyone to the south and closer to the coast than us.

8. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Stay safe everyone!

myride and megcabra like this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    My youngest son called tonite, they live in Summerville, near Charleston and he was worried about what to do, I told him if it does not seem safe then get the heck out as material things are not worth a death, and told him to come on down and I have a TT and a 31 foot MH also a spare bedroom in the house. I also finally got a call from a really good friend who lives in Wilmington ,NC He is going to ride it out as he has a house full of family and his home is 30' above sea level.
    I was not able to convince him to get the heck out of Dodge, so hopefully they will be ok.
    My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone in the wake of this hurricane. Please stay safe and do not be afraid to haul butt as this thing is deadly. Good Luck and Stay safe.

fourhallatts likes this.
  10. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the region. Be safe.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Well, she's here. As the sun sets, it's peeking under the edge of the cloud cover of Florence. It's starting to spit rain, the wind is gusting around 30mph, power flickered, and we've settled in for a long weekend. Glad she's down to a tropical storm.

[​IMG]

hayyward likes this.
  12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Meh. We're in WV.
    Probably going camping tonight.