Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by nineoaks2004, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Looks like (as of now) that we may get a piece of Michael. usually (and hopefully) it will do as many others have done and downgrade and just be a rain and light wind storm prior to reaching our area. We are 60 miles inland from the gulf coast if it does come our way I hope it moves fast instead of stalling out what many seen to do lately.

2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Yeah I didn’t think we could get that lucky as we haven’t had much to fret over this year. I’m 8 miles off the “Nature Coast” and we got put in the “watch area”. Looks like Tallahassee is in the center of this cone. Good luck and I’m hoping for the same thing that he gets “sheared” before long. Water is still pretty warm in the Gulf so I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

3. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We are awaiting for this storm to make land fall later today as very near to a cat. 5
    so far it looks like we are going to be on the very edge of the left side which is a little better. Luckily we are not close enough to the Gulf for the storm surge to affect us, mostly will be rain and wind. Hopefully when it makes landfall it will simmer down a bit. Being born and raised in Fl. storms are nothing new, but this one is making history as none have ever been this strong on landfall. I can only imagine the beating the Navy ships will have ride this thing out is. I rode a few out during my 22 yrs. in the Navy and some were damn scary. Any way I have the TT filled with water, the Genny is waiting to be fired up so when we lose power we are ready to do a camp driveway :) Stay Safe and Dry.

4. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    My cousin and her husband live in Lynn Haven and they chose not to evacuate. We are all worried sick.

5. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida

You Have Good reason to worry, this is the worst Hurricane to ever hit the Gulf, sustained winds near the eye are 145 MPH sustained, The storm surge will reach 13 feet or more right on the coast the bridges are not closed and the EMT's cannot respond. So anyone that stayed MUST stay in place in their homes, I hope and pray that that they stay safe.

6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    It's a bad one:

upload_2018-10-10_11-54-23.png

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Prayers for all in the path.

I'm so sick of hurricanes. We took a direct hit from Irma last year, and couldn't evacuate, despite mandatory evacuation in our area. Other than being without power for over a week, we fared okay. From Micheal we are only in the outlying area, but still our entire town is shut down.

We have reservations at St. Andrews in the spring. I'm praying it's still there.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    This was the sky yesterday morning. Not a good sign.

Matthew 16:2-3 (NIV)
    2 He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
    [​IMG]

9. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    We had reservations at St. Andrews for Thanksgiving. Not very optimistic about THAT one, let me tell ya!

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

Oh, I can almost guarantee that's not happening now. [B)]

Depending on the outcome, DH may be headed up that way tomorrow. His cousin lives in an old single wide trailer in Panama Beach. No insurance. If there is anything left for them to live in at all (they have a block garage with apartment on top,) and need help with repairs, he will take the camper up to stay in while helping them.

11. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    Cousin did ok. She was finally able to get a text out. They lost every tree in their yard (quite a few) and the roof off their shed. One tree caught the corner of their roof on its way down. Unsure of the extent of the damage yet, but no leaking into the house yet. She said the wind was driving the rain through the cracks around their front door. She won't stay for another one ever again. They will probably be without power for a good while.

Orchid likes this.
  12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Thinking of all of you. Saw news when I got home from work today. I rode out a couple hurricanes when we lived in South Florida but nothing like what happened today. [:)C]

13. Orchid

St. Andrews is closed. No details yet on how much damage there or when it will reopen.

DH's cousin's old 70's single wide trailer took no damage from the storm. I'm pretty shocked, as they didn't build them to hurricane standards back then. They didn't even lose a tree. They were very blessed.

As I'm sure everyone already knows, Mexico Beach took the worst hit. Here, we just saw a little rain and wind. Prayers for all effected.

14. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    We have been vacationing in that area annually for six years.
    St Joe Peninsula is now an island. The ocean cut the state park in half. I guess I will cancel next years reservations. Even if somehow it is open it will be to sad. It will never be the same.
    Mexico Beach was such a special and unique town. No development and crowds. I wanted to retire there someday.
    I’m just heartbroken. So sorry for all the locals.

15. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Packerland
    How about an update you guys. nineoaks, emoney?

16. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    My parents rode it out (stupidly) in Callaway which is in between Mexico Beach and Panama City. I had a friend deliver supplies yesterday to them and reported back they are safe and well. Their saving grace was that the eye went over them. They lost all but one tree with one falling on the house. It's large enough and positioned that they cannot cut it down and will need a crane to pull it off. They have no power, water, phone or cell service. The main roads are open and people can enter only outside 7-7 curfew hours now.

He also reported there is no gas south of Dothan Al and most stations in Dothan were out of gas. They brought in gas and water tankers and are allowing 5 gal of each a day which is enough for them to run the generator a short time. Fortunately they do not have medical needs that require power. There are plenty of stations handing out bottled water and various groups giving hot meals. There are several rescue groups in the area.

There are power trucks everywhere. They have to replace the broken poles before they can hang the lines. It's a slow process. It could be another couple of weeks before they get power and water. It cooled down a little so it's not terribly unbearable like it was the previous week. I sent my battery powered fans to them.

Unfortunately there are many reports of looting which is why my parents won't leave. They lost all their fencing, bushes, plants which leaves them wide open. I adamantly disagree with them but understand their viewpoint.

Panama was not hit as hard. Noaa satellite photos don't show a lot of destruction at St Andrews park. Although I imagine its very low on everyones priority list, I can't imagine it would be closed for more than a few months.

hayyward likes this.
  17. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    Called Florida state parks department (via ReserveAmerica) to discuss the situation (actually to try to cancel the trip), and was told they would not refund my reservation for Thanksgiving because St. Andrews is stating they will be open again on the 21st of this month!

Looking at the damage to the areas around the park make me think that simply can't be right. I doubt they will even have power by then.

18. Orchid

[:O][:O][:O][:O] Wow, I hope this is correct!

19. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    Hah! Well so much for that. Just got an automated call from ReserveAmerica saying the reservation has been canceled and the full amount refunded since the park anticipates being closed "indefinitely" due to the storm.

20. Orchid

:sad: