Hybrid with cassette?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by SteveP, Feb 28, 2017.

1. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Does anyone know of a small hybrid that can be bought/ordered with a cassette potty rather than a fixed black tank?

2. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Nope.

Every hybrid made since the first ones came out in 1998, had a toilet and black tank.
    I believe some did have a wet bath setup but still had a black tank.

Only way to find what you're asking about, is if someone modified theirs.
    Which would make it virtually worthless on the resale market.

3. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

Oct 9, 2013
    While not truly a hybrid, you may want to look at Aliner's. I think cassette is an option on those. In my case, DW is not camping without a potty and perhaps you should discuss this further with your sig other.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Not sure why you don't want a regular black tank ?

5. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    yea, i'd rather dump a black tank, than a cassette toilet's black water.

6. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I'd rather dump a cassette than to deal with the unsanitary dump station. I can dump the cassette at home and not have to wait in line. I can even do it the next day if I'm in a hurry to get on the road. I understand his wishes and I'm disheartened to learn that a cassette won't be an option in a hybrid if I were to lean that direction.

7. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    You must have been to some pretty nasty dump stations. I guess I've been lucky. I dealt with a cassette and greatly prefer hooking a sewer hose and a water hose and watching it drain.

No reason you couldn't remove the toilet and place a cassette over the space. It would not have to be a permanent modification.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    With a few plumbing mods to your house and a macerator pump (a.k.a a poop cannon ) you can empty a black tank at home too...

Besides most parks want anything with a tank larger then a porta potti emptied at the dump station, this includes a cassette tank. ..

9. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Yep . just keep the toilet in case of reselling your Hybrid

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    A cassette toilet has a black water tank. It's just much smaller. When dumping you don't have a sealed system so it smells and you really have to look at the crap.

I understand not wanting to wait in line, but again I can't remember waiting for more than one person.

Emptying a black water tank with a sewer hose is super easy. With fittings on both ends it is less messy in my book.

Not to change your mind but for anyone considering the pro and con of each system.

11. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Jimbow that is hysterical... and I can only assume.... so true... [:D]

12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Just got back yesterday from an 8 day dry camp in Big Bend Ranch State Park. We have visited this campsite every year since the park opened. This is a "walk in" tent site but its quite comfortable for us, as its one of only two or three in the park which have parking space for multiple vehicles. Its 4 miles by road to the next neighboring campsite, 6 miles to the nearest vault toilet and 19 miles to the park headquarters, where the only flush toilets and source of water for the park are available. Park roads are narrow, unpaved and rough, it's an hour to drive that 19 miles to water. RVs are not encouraged by the park but park staff have always been extremely friendly and helpful. There may be a dump station in Lajitas, 50 miles, but the closest one I think I remember is at the west entrance to the national park, over 80 miles away.

We camp at several similar sites in West Texas and New Mexico, but this is the only one we return to each year.

I think I can put an 18 foot, overall length, trailer in the site without blocking the road to the trail head, which would limit me to about a 14 foot floor plan. I haven't looked at hybrids in years but what I remember about those of this size is very low cargo capacity and a ridiculously small 9 gallon black tank. I don't know what the comparison of volume per flush is for cassette potties vs rv toilets but I assume it's at least 2x. So I think that I would need at least a 28 gallon black tank for one week in a primitive site.

Not only does the cassette allow for dumping without moving the trailer or (yuck) offloading into another container, it would allow the use of bigger fresh water tanks. And 9 additional gallons of fresh water would be a good thing in remote camp sites.

As far as the smell goes, if was so offensive I'm sure I could hold my breath for the less than a minute it takes to remove the cap, dump and replace the cap and I don't have to deal with a stinky slinky. And yes, I've seen some pretty nasty dump stations.

A quick review of the major manufacturers this morning makes this a moot point since I can't find any 14 foot hybrids currently being built.

13. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
  14. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    If a nine gallon tank is to small how are you planning on dumping the one gallon tank in a cassette?

Btw, there are a couple of dump stations in Terlingua if you are heading that way.

If you are looking for solutions specific to the ranch check out Big Bend Chat. There is a ranger who posts regularly and many posters who frequent the area.

Tamiami likes this.
  15. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I pull out the 7 gallon cassette, put it in the bed of the truck, go to the nearest facility, and dump as described above.

Big Bend is simply used as an example. On this trip I dumped twice, once mid week and then the day before we left.

16. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I've never seen a bigger tank than the five gallons we had. That got super heavy. I still gag thinking about emptying mine. It seemed like it took forever standing there in a campground bathroom, all that crap emptying out. No amount of deodorizer could contain that smell.

Have you considered a composting toilet? Then you just have the liquid waste tank to empty. The solid would compost in-between trips. Following leave no trace guidelines you may even be able to empty the liquid without heading to a bathroom.

By the way, from past experience, some people will complain when you walk in with the cassette. They seem to think the clean plastic nozzle is less sanitary than an organic butt on the seat for delivering waste product to a toilet. In Yellowstone a lady complained to the camp host who told me to use the dump station next time. Both because of the gross factor and not wanting rv chemical down the toilet.

17. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Thanks Dan, The FR website shows the overall length as 20', but that might be the one.

The book that came with mine say's the capacity is 7 gallons, if it's 5 then my black tank calculations are way off. I may have to measure that to make sure.

Did you not use the vacuum release button when dumping? That's the only reason I can think that it would take more than a few seconds to dump.

I normally use the dump station when one is available.

18. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Steve, the new 2017 model is longer i think.
    that's why i linked a 2016 model.
    i believe the earlier 176Ts are a little shorter.

the Oregon-built ones are called Hood River Edition.
    here's the off road option i mentioned:

Hood River Edition (Advanced ground clearance, X-Treme 15" Off Road tires, aluminum rims, double entry step and MaxxAir® vent cover) (West Coast production only)

19. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Mine was a Thetford. Five gallons black, two gallons fresh. Holding 45 pounds of crap when really full, nothing between me and the crap, a minute felt like eternity.

I used dump stations when available. Less headaches if I spilled. Plenty of room to maneuver.

It wasn't horrible but hooking a hose to a pipe, fitting the other end into the opening, turning on the water and bombs away is much easier in my mind.

20. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Not arguing about the ease of dumping, but about having to break camp and drive, sometimes 40 or 50 miles, to dump.