Hydro flame FA7916-II blows cold air only

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by EdZilla, Sep 19, 2017.

1. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

The service manual (rabird) and the annotated photo (Douggro) help with identifying all the parts so thanks guys.

The battery is reportedly new. I bought it from a friend who said it was a new spare, so maybe, maybe not.

When on shore power, should the battery charge?

Regarding the time delay relay:
    When running on shore power, and heating,
    • the voltage on the top red lead (and bottom red lead) of the timer delay relay is 11.2VDC and goes up to 13.2Vdc when the heater cycles off.
    • The voltage on the white leads are about 10.9 when heating and about 10.6 at the furnace switch.

I still haven't yet tried switching to battery power. Is it ok to switch to battery when the heater is running, or should I wait until it cycles off?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Great story. :) Let's hope that we can get this power issue figured out so that you're not restricted to needing shore power to run the furnace!

EdZilla likes this.
  3. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

When on battery power, The voltage on the top red lead of the time delay relay is 12.3VDC, same as the battery with no load (except for the two LED ceiling lamps)

I waited until the heater cycled off, switched to battery. Now I'm waiting to see if the heater will kick back on.

4. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

On battery and the fan came on, then the Heat came on!

On battery with the furnace running:
    The fan is running slower.
    The voltage on the battery is now 11.8VDC
    The voltage is 10.6VDC at the time delay relay top red lead.
    The voltage at the furnace switch is just under 10VDC.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

So glad to hear it works. You're making me want to run out and see if my furnace works on battery now. I've never tried it myself just assumed it would since I've had no problems on 120v.

EdZilla likes this.
  6. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

Well, it Seems that the furnace actually does work. I'm not sure why it wasn't coming on the first few times I tried it on battery (after I reconnected the solenoid lead that is), but it's working now. Maybe this battery isn't quite good enough or maybe I had to run it on shore power first to force out all the bugs.

Thanks to all you guys for jumping in to advise! I owe you a beer or a milkshake or whatever.

By the way, On advice of a friend, I purchased a Mr. Heater Big Buddy as the primary heat source. He advised that because he said that when running the furnace, the fan will drain the battery over night.

So I'll run the furnace a bit here in my driveway and see how fast it drains the battery just so I know.

Also, I'll take note of the voltages and all the other troubleshooting tips from you guys for future reference.

Thanks again.

Ed

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

I'm trying to get out tomorrow morning to work on my furnace before I have to head out in the afternoon. If I have time, I'll try to remember to check the power readings (on shore power) on mine to see how they compare. There's something about that voltage drop from the relay through the switches that *seems* off to me, but it's only 0.5V...

I'd also be inclined to take the battery in and have it load-tested to see how much capacity it actually has in it when fully charged, since you don't know the actual age and usage of the battery. With the LED lights, the furnace is going to be the biggest power consumer, so the alternate heat from the Mr. Heater isn't a bad idea if you want to keep the heat up all night. For ours, I just intend to use the furnace to take the edge off in the mornings or to warm up before crawling in the sack at night..
    That will depend on the converter. If the converter is original of that vintage, probably not.

ETA: if we cross paths, beer preferred over the milkshake. Unless the milkshake is made with a good Porter or Stout.. ;)

EdZilla likes this.
  8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

ole power centers with the CONV/OFF/BATT switch do not charge the battery. On BATT, the battery powers the lights and furnace even if plugged into shore power. I tried to leave it on OFF when closing up the PU.

Don't let the battery sit around uncharged EVER unless camping and then recharge ASAP for best battery life.
    below 12.4v left for a while and the chemical reaction (sulfate) gets hard and is harder to reverse by charging. The reason for charging is to reverse all the sulfate back into solution otherwise there is loss of battery capacity with each recharge ending the battery life prematurely. It is all a compromise!

The converter in the power center will make 13+v DC while the battery voltage will start full @ 12.7v and drop as it is used. The sail switch ought to close down into the 11.?v battery volts but as some mentioned in this tread, poor connection along the way can reduce load voltage, who knows what sitting for years unused does.

For long battery life don't use the battery so much as to go below 12.0v or 50% discharged (this is without load voltage). Charge fully ASAP, keep it on a trickle charger or give the battery a charge ever month or two or add solar to maintain it!. Having heat and light one more night can be more important than battery care, that;s your call!

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    EdZilla likes this.
  9. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

Thanks for the battery care and feeding tips rabird. Too bad that the existing ole power center won't charge the battery when on shore power. Unless there's some reason it's not, that Seems like an obvious feature/requirement to me.

So much so, that I'd be inclined to replace the existing power center (MagnaTek 6409) with one that includes solar and shore battery charge controller capability. Thoughts?

It seems that this thread is now evolving into a battery power thread. I reckon that happens a lot on these forums.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I kept my 6409 and just carried along a 15A/8A/2A charger (something like this) so that after several days without power, when I had it I could recharge overnight. If ya move the battery into storage for theft or winter it is portable ...

The big boxes HD/lowes/wmart carry a few different sizes of auto/smart chargers, some with these brand names http://www.baccusglobal.com/

converters and power centers, the WFCO is in most newer PUs. It charges @ 13.6v which I don't want.
    http://www.bestconverter.com/

I'd consider https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/pd9200-series-rv-power-converters/ for its charge profile but the smallest @ 45A is overkill of one battery.

Solar charge controller generally have a better charge profile!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  11. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

I'm siding with rabird: use a dedicated battery charger. Even the moderately priced units will do a better job than what you'd find in a power control center for the PUP. And they are portable - can travel with the battery to the garage when not in use. I have two chargers; a standard 2/10/40 AMP unit for the quick charges and a float charger for maintaining the battery while in storage.
    Quite often. ;)

12. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Worked on my furnace this morning. Problem solved (fingers crossed!). I only had time to take basic readings of the voltages at the furnace when running from shore power.
    13.76V - no load*
    12.75V to 13.15V - furnace lit and running
    11.78V - fan running, time delay relay active
    (*only load was one LED light on.)

The lowest voltage with the time delay relay makes sense since it's using a resistive element to control the delay time.

13. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

Go Broncos

14. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Seems the Seahawks followed their lead.. :mad: