Hydroflame 7916-II: Turns off, MAY run again if reset, blowing fuses.

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by ChrisS, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

So, we have a new-to-us 2008 Coleman Mesa Popup & I know next to nothing about popups or furnaces. The furnace will run initially for 5-30 mins, then turns off and sounds like it slows down 2-3 seconds. Then 4-5 mins of random, fairly quick clicking. When I remove the grill the Reset/Off switch has flipped to the Off position. If I turn the thermostat all the way down, move switch to Reset position, and raise the thermostat then it may come on. Sometimes this is right away, usually this is minutes to an hour later.
    The red error light blinks once with three seconds between indicating Limit Switch/Airflow problem. I don't see anything in the exhaust pipe or evidence of muddaubers. We have been randomly blowing lots of fuses (different ones) as I have been trying to figure out how this whole thing works. This process has blown a few as well, no circuits have ever flipped. Just bought a new deep cell battery so that is not the issue. Above scenario happened when plugged in at campground.
    From reading other posts, I am wondering if this is a limit switch problem but that is really just a shot in the dark.
    Can anyone shed some light on what may be happening or how to fix? Thanks in advance for any input!!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would check the limit switch , bypass it and see if it works normal. Of it does replace the switch. Blowing lots of fuses does seem like you have another issue going on as well.

3. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

OK, will do. As the two wire connectors for each side of the limit switch is a female connection how should I connect them to bypass the switch?

4. Sjm9911

I usally just strip a peice of wire and insert it into the conectors? There wires, they dont know female from male. Or if you want get a peice of wire and crimp a male end to each side. Its a new age whaterver works. And to emphasize, this is to test it, so you know if its the switch or not, i wouldn't leave it hooked up permanently like this. And would monitor it while on for the cycle.

5. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

Makes sense. Didn't want to just stick random wire in the middle without hearing from someone more knowledgeable first. Seemed too basic, guess I overthought it. Thanks!

6. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

Well, I bypassed the limit switch. The fan ran, the heat kicked on, and within 15 seconds the fuse blew. It is a 15 A fuse. This happened initially (see original post) and the only fuse I had left was a 25A. I hate to admit it but I did put that in just to keep the kids warm as it was snowing out. That is when it would run, shut off and throw the Reset/Off switch to off, 4-5 mins of clicking, and then had to turn down thermostat, hit reset, and turn up thermostat just to repeat this cycle. So, seems like the furnace is drawing too much power for some reason???? The error code says Limit Switch/Airflow. I can see all the way down exhaust pipe without restriction and Limit Switch does not appear to be the problem. Any other ideas what could be causing this to keep blowing the fuse and the other symptoms? Thanks for any ideas.

7. Sjm9911

Unfortunately, i have no ideas for you, but at least you eliminated one part of the equation. But if its blowing a fuse, it has to be an issue with the fan? Not sure on your model, but on the older ones the fan was the only part drawing electric.

8. frolin

frolin Member

I would check all connections. I had a similar issue and found out a connection I checked probably 4 times was shorting out

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Spin your fan by hand. If it is stiff, it is drawing more current than it is rated for. Oil the bushings or replace the bearings. It could be in a bind in the housing, also.