hypethetical

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Caper, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Caper

Caper Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Mini van
    front wheel drive

i was day dreaming about this today and i cant come up with an answer that I'm comfortable with...
    so hypothetically ...
    you get a flat on your TV say the rear tire blows.
    do you
    A) put the spare doughnut on the rear where the tongue weight is
    B) move the front tire to the rear to support the tongue weight and put the doughnut on the front where your traction and steering is

I know disconnect the pup and drive to have the tire repaired or replaced or call CAA for a tow, but barring that. Where would you put the spare?

Caper

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    It only my 2 cents but I would put the doughnut on the rear. And get off the road as soon as I can. That said ALL my cars have full size spares. And if I going on a long trip an extra spare for the camper.

Just to add ....the last time I went to Cape Breton I had to wait over an hour for cows in the road. But the view was nice. The day before I couldn't get to PEI because of heavy fog. But we love all of Canada except Montreal and Niagara Falls too many people.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Paula72 and Caper like this.
  3. Caper

Caper Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I think a full size spare is a good option as well.

I thought about the doughnut on the rear but the tongue weight concerns me
    but when i think about it on the front then steering and traction are my concern.
    Id obviously be going slower and not maintaining regular speeds with the doughnut..

just looking for opinions on the lesser of the two evils lol

thanks for the reply

Paula72 likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I think control of the TV is the main thing. You have to steer and move. The trailer may even take weight of the frond end.

Paula72 likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I do not use do-nuts on any of my vehicles except maybe farm trailers and they are never going on the road nor travel to fast anyway. My vehicles all have full size spares including the TT and MH.

Paula72 likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I think if you were in an emergency situation and all you had is a do-nut to put it on the back and get off at the next exit. Drop the camper off somewhere and find a tire shop. i was told to never ever put a do-nut on the steer tires. If you don't have control over the TV you won't have control over the camper.

Paula72 and neighbormike like this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    My uncensored self says "good luck getting the spare down and out on a busy highway... drive that SOB on the rim until you can get off the road"... my real life self says "put the spare wherever the flat was, then safely get to a repair facility"....

Paula72 and 1380ken like this.
  8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I think it would all depend on the actual tongue weight (for me, anyway). If the tongue weight is "up there", I'd be inclined to put it on the rear. If the tongue weight is "manageable", I'd put it up front for the same reasons that jmkay1 states above. In any case, I'd make a bee-line to the nearest permanent resolution (find an exit and go about replacing/repairing the flat ASAP).

All this is a perfect argument against using a doughnut spare for anything more than an emergency. And I would CERTAINLY observe all speed and load limits listed on the sidewall of the doughnut and/or in my car's owner's manual.

Paula72 likes this.
  9. Paula72

Paula72 New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Have you been to Newfoundland? I always recommended going around June so you can see the icebergs.. I’m from Newfoundland but currently living in beautiful British Columbia.. Happy Travels
    P.S. I love the picture of your dog. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who is a certified Therapy dog. We spend a lot of time visiting hospitals, schools, senior citizens, etc. Her name is Lucia & I can’t wait to take her camping this weekend..