I do not have a roof a/c so I have a cooling question

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by xgeer1, Jun 1, 2013.

1. xgeer1

xgeer1 Why wait for tomorrow for what you can do today!!!

So my pup didn't come with a roof top a/c unit so the question is as follows. Has anyone used a portable a/c unit in their pup's or what about fan's that install in the roof port are they worth it? In the evening time it isn't that hot that I have needed an a/c yet but during the day it get's kind of sticky in the pup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Portable A/C take up in side room and need a vent to the outside. A "Fantastic Roof Vent" does help no matter what, in to me the first step.

My photos [CAM] show me cutting the hole in the roof.

3. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

It takes a LOT of cooling power to cool a pup, because they aren't insulated. Most of them have 13,500 BTU units... A lot if portables are 5,000 to 8,000 BTUs. Also, a lot of portables dump air from the room out a vent. Warm outside air is going to come in to take its place, and will then have to be cooled. They are not very efficient.

Can your roof support an AC unit?

4. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] Most roofs on newer pop ups have a vent that will open and close. This is where they would mount the roof AC is so equipped. Contact your manufacturer with your serial number and they can tell you if roof ac is something you could add. As far as the efficiency is concerned, you are being charged up to 5 dollars per day by the CG for electric. All day running a 5 to 8 K AC would only account for around less than 2 dollars a day worth of electricity. My entire electric bill running a heat pump AC for 1700 sq. ft.home runs a little over 3.50 per day. Most pop ups are around 120 to 180 sq. ft. I have seen photos where people set a window mounted AC next to the screen using a home made wood stand and cooling their pop ups this way. It looks like they use 10 to 12 K units

5. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Pick you spot carefully, if possible, near the water, under good shade trees and fasting east, that way the sun warms you in the morning but falls behind you in the afternoon.

6. xgeer1

xgeer1 Why wait for tomorrow for what you can do today!!!

@Mcbrew, I have seen some with the roof mount a/c on them. I also have a roof bubble that does open. Thank you for the advice. I am going to try a fantastic fan 1st and go from there.

7. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We do not have AC or the roof vent. I think portable AC units, as another poster said, generate heat, so for me why bother? The vent sounds like a great idea to help let heat escape.

We use home-made popup gizmos to help keep the bed ends cool. I have noticed a really big difference in the inside temp with the homemade gizmos.

We bring two table fans and pretty much run them all day/night to keep the air moving.

Others use reflectix window inserts on the 'sunny' side of the popup to help keep it cooler. We haven't made reflectix inserts for our popup, maybe we will someday?

I think too, having a shaded site helps, using the awning helps. We have put our EZup on the side where the afternoon sun is the strongest to help shade the interior.

I have seen some on the portal have made their own awning for the back of the camper to help shade the interior...

And we always camp where we can swim, it helps keep us cool [:D]

8. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Using Gizmos or making your own with solar blankets is the first step in keeping the inside of the pup tolerable in the heat of the day. My husband installed a window unit AC in the back of our pup and I love it. Keeps us plenty cool, day and night, and is far cheaper than a roof top unit.

9. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Just FYI, sometimes a roof AC is installed in place of a roof vent, but now always. My Palomino has a Fantastic vent in the corner, and was framed for an AC unit in the middle towards the rear of the roof. There was no indication that the framing was there, but the guys at the dealership knew where it was. Also, there was already an outlet for it to it into behind the converter (under one of the dinette seats). The wiring from the plug to the AC was run as part of the installation.

10. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

We have friends with a 10 foot box livn lite camper. (Big as they come from them. )

THey took out the egress exit on one bunk end (The whole panel unzips) and fabircated a panel with an a/c cutout in it. They didn't bother to put zippers back in, just hold the panel to the supports via bar magnets.
    Allows use of a window air just like they were intended to be used (half outside). It does not get COLD during the day, but it takes the edge off and allows for that mid afternoon nap if needed. Only thing to remember is a support brace for the outside of the air conditioner vs the ground. When I did this with my pup I used a ratchet strap and strapped it to the deck lid (bunk) but mine is steel and has spots for straps.

11. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Regarding the Livinlite Quicksilver setupÂ… .

We ordered our QS 10.0 with the AC option. An extra AC door opens. The AC unit sits on a special bracket that extends/slides out through the opened door. It's a pretty slick setup. It allows the part of the unit that is getting rid of thermal energy to be outside the camper.

12. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

We have the same problem with our '93 Coleman Royale...no a/c or vent in the overhead. The local dealer CW, gave us a figure of $1300 but then told me that I was better off cutting a hole in either the forward or aft portion of the box and installing a window unit. That way the electrical cord would be on the floor as compared to hanging from the ceiling. Also since ours is a '93 the roof may have other issues once a hole is cut due to weight issues and the possibility of a leak if it isn't sealed perfectly. Bottom line, they didn't want the responsibility once it's installed for any further issues and I don't blame them. So I'm looking at later this summer cutting that hole in the box and creating a bracket for the unit to rest on from the outside thus taking the weight off the box.

13. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

When you have roof air, the cord doesn't just hang from the ceiling. It goes through a conduit over to the wall, then comes down along with the other wiring (12v lights, vent fan, etc). Then it plugs into a hidden plug. The only place you can see the wire in my pup is right next to the bottom cushion of the dinette.

14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I have a simple solution for that. I don't go in there during the day. I spend most of the time outside and only use the pup to sleep.

Tom

15. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I can't sleep when it's hot and humid. The dew point is just over 70 here in MD today. I have been trying to tighten up my pup's brakes, and just pouring with sweat.

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I hear you,
    Jersey isn't much better, but I don't go camping for air conditioning, AC power and sewer and showers.
    I can stay home for that.

Tom

17. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

18. fccjje

fccjje New Member

What kind of PUP do you have? Some are set up for an easy install of a roof mounted unit. The nice thing with them is they don't take up any floor space and don't require any set up once installed. I had a roof mount installed on mine when I purchased it. I am thinking about getting the solar blankets for the bunk ends and dinette slide out to help with the efficiency.

19. rvalimont

rvalimont New Member

I really had no need for one i thought about it when i first purchased my pop up but it cools real nice in the evening not only that i don't spend my time in the camper during the day ....so it is just preference if you want to spend the money on one.

20. rslaback

rslaback Member

I'll let you know in a couple weeks how a portable unit works in our 12' with a slide out dinette. When we bought the pup it didn't have an AC on it even though it is wired for one. It does have an opening roof vent.

My wife is pregnant this year and she has been getting warmer than normal lately. We came to an agreement that perhaps we wanted to try AC after all. However, our pup lives in a storage unit in town. To better use that space I built a free standing loft that the pup parks under. This means a roof unit is a no go if I want to keep that loft (which I do).

We picked up a 9000 btu unit off craigslist for $175 and are going to give that a try the week after Father's day. I'm not expecting it to cool it down to an ice locker, just remove some humidity and drop the temp a bit. I plan to open the roof vent and use our bunk end fans as well.