I do not have a roof a/c so I have a cooling question

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by xgeer1, Jun 1, 2013.

1. tjvellone

tjvellone New Member

Has anyone ever replaced their heater in their pupup with a window ac? If so can you attach pics. We live in AZ and really do not need a heater. Thanks

2. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I have the most time off in the summer... So I have no choice but to camp when it's hot and humid. I usually can't take off work for more than a night or two, so we haven't been able to go far enough north to escape the weather.

We do have family in MI, and it still surprises me that most of them don't even have AC at home!

3. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We do try to find sites with trees so that we are in the shade. We have never had AC in either of our PUPs. Our 2011 is wired for AC but we did not get one installed. I think if we did I would go for the roof mounted one.
    We do use the Create A Breeze fan in the roof vent and the bunk fans if it is hot at night. But we are lucky to live in the north country and it is usually cooler at night.

4. popitup84

popitup84 New Member

i run a portable a/c unit in my pup and have no problems what so ever with it generating heat...as long as your ehaust is ran to blow outside..you're fine....it's a bit of larger unit so i does take up some precious space...but saving a couple grand and my lift system...definetely worth it to me...i picked up my portable unit at big lots for 79.99.....i would never be able to convice my fiance to join in on a july camping trip without it!!!

5. xgeer1

xgeer1 Why wait for tomorrow for what you can do today!!!

@Popitup84 the unit that you use is it a window unit?

6. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I can appreciate the desire to save money. We used a window unit in our Scamp. However, I would like for folks to know that it doesn't cost a couple grand to add a roof air. A Coleman Mach 3 is about $550. Our dealership added one for free to our new pup. No charge for the unit or for the installation. Obviously, if you have a used unit, you aren't going to get this kind of a deal, but you should be able to add a roof AC for about $550 plus a little bit of wiring. You want to make sure your roof is made to support an AC unit first.

7. popitup84

popitup84 New Member

nope....it's a portable unit on casters...i've made a small "plate" i guess you can call it that sits on top of the bench so it's not in the middle of the little walkway.....i have a used unit and my local dealer quoted me 1900 parts and labor to add the rooftop unit...i paid less for the pup!! i do agree though that if you buy new...spend the extra bread on the rooftop ac!!!

8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

McBrew,
    I was relaying about the cord hanging down from what the Service Dept., told me. With mine being a 93 they weren't about to run down inside the walls or add conduit as they're not about to do more than they have to. The bottom line being is that if they tore out more than absolutely necessary they may night like what they find or give me more problems that I would blame on them...I can't blame them ofr it.

Doc

9. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Doc, I'd take a pic, but the wife and kids are sleeping in the pup,now, as I sit in front of a dying campfire. Between the two windows opposite the door, there is a "tunnel" of fabric that hides the 12v and the AC wiring. Wouldn't be too hard to do on an older pup. Oth than that, the wiring is either in a conduit, or in the channel at the bottom of the roof wall (above the windows).

10. Twin2

Twin2 New Member

Our Jayco popup did not come with roof AC. We are in Maryland and the dewpoint can get pretty high, so we want the AC. We just bought a portable unit from the hardware store. It is on casters, and has a vent hose, which we put across the extra bunk and vented outside. It worked fine when we tried it out, but it was not the hottest part of the day, and the temps were in the 80s not 90s as it likely will be when we go away. Our portable is only 10,000. I tried to talk my husband into the 13,000 btu since the popup is not insulated, but he thought 10,000 would be fine.

We use our popup to sleep in when we go away to a week-long campmeeting. We mostly want the ac for the afternoon, maybe from 3:00 till almost 7:00. That's the time when we go back and want a nap, or to at least be able to relax in the camper and talk. Its usually too hot for a nap even with the fans, so we sit outside in our chairs in the shade. I usually go in and zip the flaps shut and get a sponge bath just before the evening service, which helps, but without AC, even with all the fans running, I leave the camper sweating again. My husband sometimes gives in to a nap, and gets up from his nap and his back will be wet. We are hoping the ac will be enough to make us comfortable and keep us a little dryer.

11. postnetnc133

postnetnc133 Member

Do you have reflectix in all of the windows or at least the bunk ends as well as having gizmos or solar bunk end covers to reflect heat?

If not go to the bunk end section and look at samples and ideas. You can either make your own or buy them pre made.

12. MOCampin

MOCampin ><((((((*>

We have a window unit that is supported on a wood bracket. We also use windshield sun shades in all windows on the pup. Works great!

13. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I personally like the AC because it takes moisture and dampness out of the pup. Mine came with AC but if it didn't. i would figure out a way to get AC no matter how it got installed, whether it came on the roof, taking up space in the pup or trying to retro fit through the canvas.

14. rslaback

rslaback Member

I said I'd report back after our first portable AC excursion. We bought a 7000 btu unit and used it in our 12' with slide out dinette. It is a pretty big space inside our camper. The sight was partially shaded and the temps were about 80 to 85. Inside the camper without the AC on it was about 87 degrees or so. With the AC on it dropped it down to about 75 or so. It definitely wasn't going to freeze you out but worst case scenario it at last got us to ambient outdoor temp.

15. jdubois

jdubois New Member

I was a tenter for 40 years so, needless to say, I can camp w/out AC, although I live and die by AC at home. Seems to me that, if your roof can support it, the rooftop AC is the best bet, followed by window cutout insert, followed by roughing it as God intended one to do while camping.

What's next, microwave popcorn by the campfire?

16. tjvellone

tjvellone New Member

We just went camping at Parke, AZ last weekend and used are window ac, it got down to 76 degrees at night and 84 during the day. Keep in mind it was 106 outside during the day. We removed the furnace and replaced it with a small window ac. I will post pictures soon.

17. camping dad

camping dad New Member

I dont know if some of these people have tried a portable a/c unit or not but, I have a 10k portable that I use and it gets my camper cold. It might take alot of electric but your paying for it in the fee to camp. Venting the unit is as easy as sticking it out the window. The biggest inconvienence is having to drain the water out of the tank, but it even comes with a hose to run out the door when you need to drain it. As far as the space it takes up, mine is 3 feet tall but only about 1 foot wide by 1 foot deep. Not enough space to suffer through a 90 degree night! [8D]

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I have an ac but didnt use it last weekend. We have the attic fan and a clip on fan that came with the camper and also bring another fan. It the daytime I just stick those shades like you put in your car window inbetween the screen and the tinted window on the sunny side then zip all window down about 1ft. and it is fin inside. Make a big difference and we did not turn the AC on all weekend, 95 degress also.

19. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

One of the bells and whistles we didn't get on our PUP was the a/c. Being frozen out while camping has been more of a problem in our experience. but with the PUP, wed like to branch out to new places, some desert. We did get the heater and heated mattresses.
    We were quoted $1200 for purchase and installation. I've seen a/c kits on eBay for $500-600. We have a corner fan, but assume that the a/c should be centrally installed. Is this something that can be done DIY, or is it worth it to spend the money?
    Also, where can you buy gizmos and reflectix? We determined that we need to cover the bunk ends if there will be any napping in the daytime. It got rather warm. Thank goodness I brought the tent fans! The magnet attached to the tension bar of the bunk end, right over the sleeping kiddo and my mom. It helped.

20. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

the gizmo add pops up all the time at the top of the page here.