I guess we're done for the year

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jeanmariemc, Sep 21, 2015.

1. changingground

changingground New Member

We too are lucky to have a late season. My son has three more races for which we're planning to camp, and then he and I head off to Utah for his fall break and some biking/canyoneering/climbing. And my first real vacation of the year. Definitely looking forward to it!

2. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

After the Wisconsin Fall Rally I will winterize too. I am going to try camping a few times by Ottawa Lake in the Kettle Moraine Forest as they are open year round. Funny thing is I go there from time to time through the summer to go swimming and never camp. [?:~{]

3. mtnbkndude

mtnbkndude Member

I am not ready to hibernate. I just bought my camper a month ago. We used it once and have two trips planned in Oct. Maybe I'm in denial, but I would like to keep it semi-ready to go, so if a nice warm weekend hits in Nov or Dec, we can have one more tip to close out the year. At some point, the NW rains [{}=] will move in for good and I will have to face reality [:!]. But until the weather turns, camp on!

[PU] 2002 Coleman Utah
    [TV] 2012 Toyota Sienna

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

As much as I don't want to face packing things up for the season it is just about that point for me too. I have one more trip to PA in October for the apple festival and then I'm done too. Although if I had my pup I would probably squeeze a fall color trip in too. If everything is already winterized, just don't use your water you could still possibly get one more trip in, although it sounds as if your husband is done for the season.

5. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

I totally agree id try to get out one more time and I am in Maine and leaves have very little change too

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Move to California, folks! Camping here is year round....

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sounds like my weekend father son campout might be cancelled due to low participation, I'll find out in a few hours.

I just might be arranging my own version at a very last minute notice (it's supposed to start tomorrow night). I've already cleared my calendar for it and the boys were looking forward to it as was I. Plus it's my oldest's last year for it as he ages out next year.

The question is, if I do that, should I take the pup, or tent it like we had planned with the group?

8. bondebond

bondebond New Member

If you do end up just you and the boys, I'd stick with the tent approach even though I love taking the PUP out whenever I can.

Jr. and I did a father-son trip last fall and hauled gear to a primitive spot of a friend's land. We did just "man" stuff all weekend like learning how to fuzz a stick to make a fire, tie a hammock to the tree properly, etc. He wants to do that again as the weather starts to cool off this year, so we must have done something right.

Either way, time you spend with the boys will be good but I think taking the tent puts you just that much closer to "roughing it" and can make for stronger bonds and memories. Just my not so humble opinion.

9. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

Hey wait a minute. We have a tent! I hadn't considered doing a tent trip. ***wheels spinning***

10. tfischer

The group trip was indeed cancelled, and I think that's what we'll go with. Supposed to be a super beautiful weekend too.

11. Garywt

Garywt New Member

That is a shame, fall camping is my favorite. Nice weather and cuddling at night...

12. BALTIBCAMPER

BALTIBCAMPER Member

For us unless there is 5ft of snow is always camping season for us!

13. tfischer

Well we did it, must me, and my 11 and 8yo boys. They were troopers, really helping with everything (I feared that I"d be stuck doing all the work while they ran off and played). We had a lot of fun and hopefully made a lot of memories (I know I made some)

14. bondebond

bondebond New Member

tfischer,
    [​IMG]

15. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Halloween is usually are last recreational family trip.

16. fletcher4pa

fletcher4pa Member

I tried to talk the hubby into one more trip this year but since his ridiculously long deer season has already begun he wasn't hearing anything I was saying. I also tried to talk him into the NEPA rally as we haven't done a rally yet. He's not interested at all. Perhaps I should sign up (as you did) and tell him I'm going even if he's not lol.
    Kathy

17. Islandwoman20

Islandwoman20 New Member

Where and when is the Vermont rally?

18. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

Fletcher4pa...do it!!

19. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

The Vermont rally is held at Winhall Brook Campground in Londonderry, VT, usually the last weekend in September.