I have seen the dark side and it is good!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by NW_Dale, Sep 13, 2017.

1. NW_Dale

NW_Dale Member

May 31, 2009
    After a fantastic week of camping in our beloved 10 year old Coachmen 1285 SST, my lovely bride confessed that her knees were killing her after all the kneeling to reach into the low cabinets, fridge, etc.

The years have been rolling along, so it was not really unexpected. We'd always figured we'd get into something like the Rockwood high walled A-Frames, but there you go again with mostly low-placed storage. She started looking around online and fell in love with the R-Pods, the 179 in particular with its large rear kitchen. We even went out to a local dealer to look at a few but the ones on the lot didn't have the options we wanted. We didn't pursue it further because the dealer was quoting a pretty low trade-in on our pup. It was still worth much more than that to us!

The very next day I came home from helping my mom with some chores at her house and my wife tells me that she had called a dealership 6 hours away and asked about some of the R-Pods they had on their website. The salesman asked if she had a trade and was told what we had. He then asked what we'd expect for a trade-in value. With nothing to lose she said twice the offer the other dealer had made. After chatting a bit about how it was equipped and its condition, he thought for a bit and then told her they would match what she asked for and add another $700 to that. On top of that he also knocked off another $500 from the lowest price we'd found anywhere on the new unit. Apparently, mentioning that she hadn't told me she was calling them had motivated our sales rep to put together a deal I could not refuse.

When I heard what the price was and what they offered in trade, I shoved the phone in my poor wife's hand telling her to phone right now before they changed their mind! They hadn't and so that's how my lovely wife bought us our new R-Pod.

I honestly never wanted to have to tow a TT- ever! But even I have to admit it's really easy to tow, regular side mirrors give a great view behind and along with our (overkill, I know) rear view camera, it's probably even easier to tow than our pup was.

While I'd never trade all the memories we made in the old pup with our growing family, I do have to admit that our new TT is just about perfect for the two of us.

2. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Congratulations ! You will love the dark side !!

KS-Scout-dad likes this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Good to hear you got what you wanted, enjoy your new R-Pod.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Congratulations! Be sure to post some pics for the rest of us!!

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Congrats

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Congrats on the new TT. You will not be sorry and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Of course now for the mods to "make it your own":)
    Wishing you many great camping trips in the future, good luck and Happy Camping

7. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I don't know what an rpod is but I am very happy for you

happy trails

bob

8. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Congrats - I like the R-Pods. We looked at them a while back, but they're too small for DW. Its the bathroom, after 20 years of tent camping (Boondocking - no CG's), she wanted a "real" bathroom with a "real" shower.

9. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I think the R-pods look like a nice compromise between a PUP and a TT. The sad part is the beds are only 74" long and I am 78" long. At least our pup has an 80" long mattress. :/

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It looks like R Pods have decent sized holding tanks compared to many single axle trailers.

11. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Congrats! I officially go to the gray side next Saturday. I just am tired moving the PUP around in my yard and having to pop it up all the time. Now I’ll have enough room to bring my sons friends and my nephew.

12. LauraLieTx

LauraLieTx Member

May 9, 2011
    Hi was wondering how well the excursion pulls the rv? I have been considering a SUV! I have a keystone travel trailer 27' 4000 lbs an a Ford f150 right now....

13. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Very, very happy with ours. Our TT has a gross weight of about 6500 lbs, and the Excursion is rated to tow nearly double that. I never have the feeling that the trailer is pushing the Excursion around.

14. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Apparently, mentioning that she hadn't told me she was calling them had motivated our sales rep to put together a deal I could not refuse.

Used it on the travel trailer, ford explorer and Toyota tundra purchase in the last few years.... works. My wife would even come out and call me or her mom and chat a few time to mess with the sales guys. Love the r pods. maybe when we are out of the kids stage.
    A older lady in her late 70s tows it with her ford explorer and does a lot of trips with her grand daughter and when she goes on AKC dog shows with her dogs.

15. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Nov 21, 2010
    North Carolina
    Congrats! But pics or it didn't happen....lol