I have some questions? 30 amp to 50 amp

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by stacey short, May 8, 2019.

1. stacey short

stacey short Member

I will be taking my first camping trip on May 31 and my camper TT is 30 amp. I use a C pap at night and I'm concern about blowing fuses or messing something up. I heard you can buy adapter but I'm not sure about? Then I would like to know do I need to buy more fuses to accommodate the 50 amp? If I do need to buy more fuses what ones do I get? I will have phone chargers, TV playing, no microwave but I will be using my nuwave, and my 3 in one skillet grill and griddle from time to time . Then the AC is still running and the refrigerator. I understand that you can't run everything at the same time. I heard you can turn the air down or maybe off while using other electric appliance. Thank you in advance

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You cable going to the electric hook up is only rayed for 30 amps. You csnt use more unless you redue the ellectrical system. I would just get a heavy duty guage extention cord and run you machine independently. Most hook ups can accommodate more then one plug. I have a contractor cord real with a resettable breaker build in.

stacey short likes this.
  3. stacey short

stacey short Member

I have one of them. Great idea

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

It makes no difference if you are plugged into a 30 or 50 amp pedestal. Since your TT is only 30 amp, it will only use 30 amp max.
    Your C pap will not use enough power to trip any breakers (fuses). The fuses are on the 12volt side. The TT has circuit breakers just like the ones in your home

neighbormike and stacey short like this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I carry a regular 25-foot Extension cord to plug into the 20A SERVICE at camp grounds for special things...

Most camp grounds I have been to provides pedestal connections for 50A, 30A, and 15A/20A service...

Typical Pedestal at Camp Grounds
    [​IMG]
    Google image

These are all fed from their own circuit breaker on the pedestal side... If you had your C-PAP plugged into this service connections then you would not have to worry about over loading your 30A or 50A side and tripping off the C-PAP....

My POPUP trailer has many places I can run the external extension cord into the trailer. On my fifth wheel I can run the external extension cord into the bottom storage area through the door. Mine has a rubber seal and I can close and latch the storage door with the extension cord going thru it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. stacey short

stacey short Member

7. stacey short

stacey short Member

I may try this as well