I loved my popup, but now, I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jackyl, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jackyl

Jackyl New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Hi everyone, I'm John, from NY. 5 years ago I bought a StarCraft 1019 popup from a dealer. It was like new, and we loved traveling with it. (I myself loved getting 24 MPG pulling it most of all).
    Do most of you have better luck with your campers? Are we not supposed to tow our campers in the rain? We camp nearly every weekend, and go on a 2 week excursion annually. Love the compactness and light weight of my popup, its like it isn't even there.
    Anyone else from the northeast, central NY northern PA area?

2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I’m not from the Northeast, but what is it you didn’t like? You mentioned the rain, does it leak? Sorry, just confused by the post

3. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Your post is confusing???

emoney likes this.
  4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We live in NJ and we have never had an issue towing the pup in the rain. Are you having problems towing it in the rain?

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome from South Carolina and confused here, also. Are you thinking about getting a 2nd pup?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I like singing in the rain, but not towing in the rain - usually means setting up in the rain (or raining on my parade). But, rainy days and Mondays always get me down, too.

Hope we can get your point cleared up, because honestly I don't know what's going on [:D][:D][:D]

sceri, myride, emoney and 5 others like this.
  7. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I’m in Syracuse.

I went from a pup to an HTT. I get horrible gas mileage now.

What issues do you have with the pup?

8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    I've towed in the rain, but no longer sing in the rain...most of my issues now are w/ the wife & spaghetti sauce... maxresdefault (1).jpg

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Posting and Ambien don't mix! Please post responsible [:D]
    All kidding aside we need more information on what you specific problum is. We cant guess! No, wait, we can guess but it probubly will not be helpful.

Orchid, WrkrBee, jnc and 2 others like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Over time the weatherseal on the roof lid can disinigrate, split, etc and cannot hold the weather back particularly if you are driving. Hard to say if this is what your problem is. All campers are slapped together and over time something always needs to be repaired, maintained etc. Rain is a headache when you own a popup. It never fails something will get wet inside if you have to set up or close up in the rain. However if you are just driving in the rain , rain should not be able to get inside your camper if fully shut and sealed.

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I've towed and camped (many times) in the rain... I also now have a tt. Rain has never been a huge concern as I own a camper that keeps me dry.

Jackyl likes this.
  12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would think that after 5 years of use it may need to be resealed.

13. Jackyl

Jackyl New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Ok, my bad. I didnt want to bash in this thread, just introduce myself.
    After towing 11 hours in torrential rains, when we got to where we were going, at 2am, when I lifted the top, the lift system pulled out of the floor. Hence my question about hauling in the rain. The back 1/2 of the floor became spongy. And this was last summer. 7 years old.

14. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Those things should not happen. There's a problem. You should be able to tow/camp in the rain without issues as long as you maintain your PUP. Start by fixing the leak, then the lift system, then the floor. Lots of advice to be had here with each of those 3 problems. Good luck!

Jackyl and neighbormike like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Yes, agreed you have a leak that weakened something. And it sounds as if it's been leaking for a bit. I have a older 18 yo pup , it had minor rot in one corner from a roof/seal leak. The unprotected wood underneath was solid in the rest of the pop up. Its bad news, but may be fixable, shoot some pictures and let the technical guys give some ideas.

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This could be directed at me. [LOL] Have you ever tried to be responsible on Ambien? :tongue: It just doesn't happen. It is always interesting the next day to see what I said, when I thought I was [SNZ][SNZ] I'm a chronic Ambien poster both here and social media.

Jackyl and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    My doctor told me some horror stories of what people do on ambiem. Seriously, computers and ambien do not mix! But better to post crazy stuff here than to be shopping on Amazon.... [:D]

It definitely sounds like you have had leaking for a while. My rules are to ALWAYS go inside the campers after the first rain of the season and check for leaks, and then check after every heavy downpour. It only takes one leak to destroy a camper if it's ignored.

Jackyl likes this.
  18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I get Amazon packages almost daily. :laugh: They'd probably subsidize my Ambien.

I agree the OP has a leak. If we didn't tow in the rain, we'd never tow at all. It rains every day in Florida, during hurricane season, at least for 20 minutes.

19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I do too. But it's not ambien induced (I actually use belsomra and have been very happy with it). Amazon is a definite addiction.

KamperKel and Orchid like this.
  20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Amazon is no more addictive than PopUp Portal. I don't even take Ambien, and I usually have to get a daily fix from both.