I need suggestions on how/where I should mount my spare tire!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Rachel LeCureux, Aug 12, 2017 at 8:41 AM.

1. Rachel LeCureux

Rachel LeCureux New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hi all!
    I'm fairly new to this, only had my PUP about a month, and only camped twice so far. I've been keeping busy fixing little things on my new-to-me 2004 Rockwood 1640 LTD. The previous owner did a few things in a manner that I wouldn't have...I like to do things right the first time, every time. They wanted to add air conditioning, but instead of bracing the roof and adding a rooftop AC like I would have, they chopped a hole under one of the slides (right where you step up to get into bed) and stuck a window AC unit there. It's wired properly, at least, so it comes on automatically and I don't have to fool with it. It does, however, pose a problem since I now have nowhere to mount my spare tire, and it's yet another thing taking up valuable real estate in my camper, yet another thing I have to take out and put back in during setup and tear down. I'd like to mount it back on that bumper where it belongs, or somewhere else, but all the products I'm seeing are for 4" square bumpers. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might be able to have this thing mounted?

I've included the only photo I have handy to show why my spare tire can't be mounted where it's supposed to be...because there's a window AC unit sticking out there. I thought I was pretty self explanatory but sometimes people need to see what you're talking about to understand.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 1:35 AM
  2. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Here's a crazy idea. Cover the spare with a nice white vinyl cover and put it on the roof toward the front. It's lighter than an AC unit and you only need to put one or two long bolts through the roof. Make sure you seal the bolts and you're good.

3. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
  4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I carry 2 spares with me when I go. The one is on the rear bumper in the normal spot. The second one simply gets put on the floor just inside the entrance door. If I was to get a flat, that one would be the first I go for. When I get to a site, I pull it out and just lay it on the ground under the rear bumper area somewhere. No fuss, no muss.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Like Wrench, I carry two spares.. One on the rear bumper and the other sits inside on the floor or beside the toilet..

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I also carry two spares, the few times I had to use the spare I wasn't comfortable driving 500 miles with no spare. So now I have a spare spare.

7. Douggro

Douggro Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    That's what I did. The original spare carrier under the rear of ours is missing the lug bolts for holding the spare and the PO just put it on the floor inside. Until I get the original mount sorted out, the HF unit was relatively inexpensive and easy to mount. Thought about mounting to the rear bumper but it just doesn't seen structurally strong enough to handle that mounting.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You did not say what you are pulling with ? I pull with a pickup and toss extra items in the bed.
    Other than that it seems you do not have much of a choice. BTW the AC mount looks nice and someone did a good job. Look at the better side of things, the roof will not buckle without the weight of the AC and it is a lot easier to raise. Good luck and Happy Camping

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Like others have said, you really only have two easily accessible hardpoints on the PUP to mount it: the tongue or the rear bumper assembly. The box of the PUP is no good to mount to... it's just plywood. The other option is the loose spare. Just chucking it inside the door is quick, easy and works well (if your PUP allows the door to open with the roof down). Another loose option is to keep it in the TV. Like many above, I carry two spares when I am going on gravel roads for more than 10 miles or so. I just throw the extra one in the bed of the TV.

If you wanted to do some fabrication, you could mount it to the main frame rails UNDER the PUP, but it would be a pain to get to. You could do it like some truck spares with a little winch that pulls the tire snug up against the bottom of the PUP floor... but that's a lot of work. You could also look into a dual hitch adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpow...502550818&sr=8-3&keywords=dual+receiver+hitch

Then use a hitch mounted spare tire holder in the top mount like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Adjust...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R28P36XZJHR4F2372AJD

I don't know anything about your TV, hitch or GVW, so you'd need to run the numbers to be sure that all works for your rig.

Good luck

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    My spare in mounted to the underside of the A frame tongue. It uses a simple heavy duty door hinge welded to one side of the frame and a piece of channel and bolts to a threaded stud and short piece of angle iron on the other. The bolt is the same size as the lug nuts so no other tools required.

An alternative for under the pup is to rob a cable lift spare tire carrier from an old Toyota p/u, Small like from the 70's or 80's and adapt it to the pup. That would solve the gettin to it problem.

11. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Check out the BAL spare tire mount. I "talked" to a few others that have them and are happy so far. I want to go to one so that I can put my bike on the back. Other obligations have kept me from doing it, but its on the scope for installation this Fall.

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    For 25 years, I have been carrying the spare under one of my trailers. I drilled a hole through the floor and put a long carriage bolt through the it. I put a wing nut and fender washer on it to hold the tire up....My TT has a mount similar to the one pictured above. It works fine....With either, you have to remember to put the valve stem down so you can check the air.

13. Rachel LeCureux

Aug 1, 2017
    Thanks for the replies everyone. There are some good suggestions here, but unfortunately I'm still not any closer to knowing what I'm gonna do.

Not sure. This would mount on the tongue? I have a propane bottle, a battery box, and an automatic lift system box. I'm sorta cramped for space. I'm gonna probably have a platform welded to the front of the trailer to hold a generator on one side and a small storage box on the other, for hoses and the like. Hopefully I'll even have enough room for that!
    Thank you! I'm pulling with a small car, a hatchback, so space is limited. This is the main reason I wanted to have the tire out of the way, so I could store more stuff in the floorboard of the PUP. It's a teeny camper as it is, so the microwave, grill, toaster oven, and screen room that zips to the awning in it's bag takes up most of the floor space without the damn tire being in the way. If I'm able to get that box mounted on the front like I want it I could put all my hoses and maybe even the screen room into it, and free up so much space. So also could that tire being mounted elsewhere.
    This is a good idea but not sure I could handle this myself and not sure who I could have to do it for me. I used to be all for climbing under something and doing it myself but I'm unable now. What I can't do myself I have to take somewhere, and shops seem a lot more willing to install new parts than fabricating older ones to work, and I don't have any men around to help me with things like this.

14. Douggro

Douggro Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    IMG_0430.JPG
    Not the best pic, but you can see where I mounted the Harbor Freight (Tow Master) spare carrier on the tongue of ours. There's enough offset on the carrier to keep the tire away from the items on the tongue.

15. Rachel LeCureux

Aug 1, 2017
    Your spare looks a lot shorter and fatter than mine. Where you have 2 propane bottles, I have one bottle and a battery box. Further up on the tongue is my auto lift box. Where your tire is mounted is where I was planning to have a rack for storage on one side and a generator on the other. Was planning to go to harbor freight today to grab a generator and supplies for this project that I'm hoping to have welded together this coming week. (Before the eclipse, I wanna be prepared for camping!)

I wish I could just mount it on the back of the camper somehow, on the left side of the AC unit, but I don't know how strong the bumper is, if it would be strong enough to hold the tire, if it could be reinforced. I wonder also if that bumper is supporting part of my AC unit as it comes out the back. It sits right on it. I don't want to overload it, but I'd love to have it there, out of the way completely.

16. Douggro

Douggro Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not sure of the size of that spare off the top of my head..
    I looked at mounting it to the bumper but decided that the bumper just didn't look strong enough stucturally to mount it there, and there would have been some issues getting the mounting plate and bolts installed without removing the bumper.

17. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    IMAG0773.jpg

18. Douggro

Douggro Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    How about a hybrid and using a spare tire hoist from a small truck like 94-D2 suggested and incorporating that into the fabrication for your generator and storage box? It could tuck up under the framing of the tongue and be readily accessible. Or a piece of rod bolted through the cross-framing in the tongue to support the tire with a plate and (large) wingnut?