Ice at the campsite when you have iceless coolers?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by mpking, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    My suggestion is to get a better cooler. I have a Yeti I bought years ago, but if I needed a great cooler now, I'd look at one of the many knock offs.

Ice only lasting 6 hours in unacceptable to me.

I pre-cool the Yeti. This step is critical. I put a frozen 2 liter soda bottle in the night before heading out. Then 3-4 more frozen 2 liter bottles when packing the food. Make sure the meat is frozen hard. I still have ice in the 2 liters in 5 days.

If you had a small yeti-type cooler, pre-cooled, with maybe 2 frozen 2 liters, or a frozen gallon jug, then fill up the rest of the cooler with ice cubes, you will have plenty of ice for an iced coffee for the drive home.

Pommom70 likes this.
  2. Pommom70

Pommom70 New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Ohio
    Tried keeping ice in the yeti cups in the fridge, didn’t work well. We decided to get a small Ozark Trail Yeti knock off to hold ice. It will keep ice for several days. We requested one for Christmas from the kids.

3. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    I buy refrigerated, flavored, "iced" coffee. Also there is a squirter that is caffeinated that you could add to a cold glass of milk.

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Now this is a interesting solution we have not experimented with. (Both the bottled Ice'd Coffee, and the squirter). Do you have any info on the Squirter?

5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    The current ones on sale are by MIO in the grocery store. The first I bought for boyscout camp was by Folgers.

6. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Mar 15, 2013
    One other possibility - any place you can find some dry ice? That will keep the ice hard frozen for quite a while (until you need it).
    My Extreme marine cooler keeps ice for 5 days without dry ice though.

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I think some people are missing the point. I have all the iceless coolers I would ever need! My problem is perfect relaxation to be had by my wife includes an Iced Coffee. Pretty hard to have ice, when all my coolers are electric. Dry Ice, and Yeti's are solutions to "different" problems.

I'm just looking to have enough ice to fill a tumbler cup once a day, for 3 days.

Current solutions I'm pursuing are
    • I have a 1 liter Double Wall Vacuum cup that I'm going to fill with Ice, and leave inside the cooler. I bench tested this in my cooler, and it had usable ice left in it after day 3. (Probably would make Day 4).
    The Mio's and the Ice'd Coffee in a cup are an interesting solution we hadn't considered, and I'll have her experiment with. Although she's recently discovered "Greek Frappe", so I think we'll be on that kick till at least next January. (Same problem as Iced coffee, still needs a bunch of Ice)