Ice storm in Michigan!

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Matt Benoit, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Lost power around 10am today. 1/4"+ ice and freezing rain. Latest estimates show 310k without power. Only one on my street with power... Thanks too my Harbor freight generator!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Awsome!

We got about a foot of snow from the same storm with a possible three more to go today. I was thinking during the peak of the storm that I would need to use my generator if we lost power. I'm glad that it wasn't needed!

Are you using your generator for the furnace? If so, how does it handle the furnace startup?

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    We have baseboard heat (boiler). The generator only has to power the circulation pump, and the control board that powers the thermostat and the self ignition. Maybe 300w total. I actually have my inverter generator hooked up to the house right now. It uses far less fuel than my 4000w noise maker.

Sorry to hear about all that snow! At least it won't hang around long!

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    That's what we were saying in March! You would think living in Minnesota all my life I would be used to it but this is really unprecedented for us. We just beat the all time total for April snowfall (21.8") yesterday and more is expected today and on Wednesday.

The ice is usually off the lakes by now but I have been hearing that there are some people driving on the lakes in north-central Minnesota because the ice is still over three feet thick. Bizarre.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    neighbormike likes this.
  5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We are having an Ice Storm As I type.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yesterday morning everything was fine. Zero snow left on the lawns here. Roads were clear, driveways were all clear, come on summer! Then around 9:00 AM is started raining. Until now, we have about 6 inches of snow/ice pellets combined. Very windy, but luckily, almost no freezing rain. I think its just a little too cold for freezing rain. It's all coming down as ice pellets, so the tree branches are getting a bit of relief. Its supposed to turn just above freezing tonight and get tons of rain.

7. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    had branches on a pine tree that are 8-10 ft up and the tips are on the ground cause of the weight of the ice. luckily still have power though.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We got 2 1/2 inches of rain, heavy winds (up to 40 mph gusts) night time temps about 38 deg.and a small tornado about 50 miles away. However you folks are catching it with all the snow, sleet and hail and I would much rather have our weather than yours. . Seems like Mother nature needs to let things settle down until next winter. Good Luck and Happy Camping

9. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Raining now but a solid 1 1/2 inches of ice on the ground here

10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario

11. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    In a couple of months when it's sweltering hot and 99% humidity here in Alabama, I'll be wanting to trade places with you folks. But not right now. Y'all stay safe.