ideas on adding extra support to the sliding beds

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by jujtacoma2010, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jujtacoma2010

jujtacoma2010 New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I noticed that on one of the sliding beds, the 2 metals poles that supports at from the bottom was a little bent. These are the 2 round metal pipes that you have too hook either to your bumper and underneath the bed. I guess my kids are getting heavier. What can I do to add more support?

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Not sure what p'up you have, but most slides are rated around 1000 pounds. Do you have a manual for yours? You can download one here on the portal if you don't.

As for a bent support pole, I would see about replacing any that are bent because even though the setup "may" be rated for 1000 pounds, anything bent reduces that capacity (whatever it may be in your case).

If it weren't bent, I'd say don't worry about it, and after you replace the bent pole(s), you should be good to go unless you have another outstanding issue.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We had a Coachmen once that came with a bent bed support pole. It was only a slight bend, but made me nervous.

The support poles were hollow, so we put lengths of rebar in them, to keep the bend from worsening.

jnc likes this.
  4. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

Jan 2, 2009
    North Ridgeville Ohio
    Those bunks hold 1200 lbs.

5. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    If it's like my Jayco you can make new supports from 1/2" EMT from any good hardware store. Cut it to length and squeeze the ends with a vise.

6. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Good idea. Also if you have a fence company nearby they could make some, possibly stronger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

They do, but when people damage the poles, in other ways, I imagine it compromises the integrity of it. If a bent one gave, there would be much more damage to deal with.

On our Coachmen, it was obvious the bend was not from using the bed. The pole had been used for something, not related to the camper, at some point.

8. mikracer

mikracer New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    I recently purchased a pup and the previous (original) owner installed some extra support bars that attach to the end of the bunk ends and have bars that fold down to the ground. It's basically a bar that covers the width of the bed and is attached with heavy duty velcro. You then attach the support bars to the crossbar and the support bars go to the ground. The crossbar and support bars do not stay on the bunk end when the trailer is folded up, they are stowed in a carrying case he also added.

9. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I had a similar issue. First problem, the factory rod inserts were waaaay too close for the rods to be inserted - even with the help of another adult lifting up the bed! Second, I've been road hard and put up wet for too many years and it has taken a toll on my back. It's a tough position to be in while lifting & forcing in a crouch. I used threaded rod. You don't need to add the adjustment nuts for your back, but you can set the support rods to the exact distance required, even cut out a bent section while adding structural reinforcing to the support rod. 1st pic: modified support rods: 2d pic; placed in position loosely. 3rd; spun nuts up to take up the preload.
    APartModified.JPG ARearLoose.JPG ARear Extended.JPG

Popiworks likes this.
  10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Still able to crouch under the bunk and lift on my shoulders, but can see this idea being useful in the future. Thanks for sharing!

11. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I bought cargo bars from Harbor Freight to put under the bed for extra support.

RollTideRick and XKPin like this.
  12. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    SKPin: What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

13. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    I created one support for both sides by using three pieces of threaded pipe (cut to size at Lowe's) and 2 elbows. It makes a "U" that I put onto the nipples on the tongue and it gave excellent support to the bed above.