IF A TT IS DARK, WHAT IS THIS!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by 94-D2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I read lots of posts about the dark side. I began my pup life 17 years ago with my 2001 Niagara. My last trip in it was Death Valley in the springs of 2011. I nearly went to the dark a few years earlier and pulled out at the last minute. We eventually went to the behemoth pup Avalon in 2011. I modified it and made it bigger and better, enjoying the confomorts and amenities of a TT in a pup package. Now, nearing my retirement, our glamping desires have evolved to incorporate future family and glamping guests. The ultimate demise to the dark has brought me to an extreme level. DW and I now enjoy both ends of the glamping spectrum both with our beloved Avalon and now this. We have retained our puping life style and incorporated our 5er into out multiple camping personalities. So, if the hybrid and TT persona is the dark side, I must have joined the ranks of the underworld in this........

24B2C23A-E363-40C2-9595-2040551F8CF7.jpeg

2017 Bighorn Traveler. 41’11” 15,500 lbs GVWR. 4 slides, over 420 sq feet of living space. It has an apartment! (2nd bed room). Go big or go home LOL!

Happy Campin’

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That is the Darkside's Overlord palace. AKA The Death Star

KS-Scout-dad likes this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It's a load on a single axle truck is what it is....lol

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    LOL Death Star! Nice!

It’s only 2500 lbs on the kingpin and 200 for the auto sliding plate. Plenty of spring pack and 5K air ride suspension. After market diff cover with 2 1/2 qt over OEM full synthetic on a Dana 70 HD 35 spline riding on LT295/75/R16 E’s wth 4:10 gearing. Not too worried about the single axle with 8500 lb GAWR and 6800lbs of load capacity on the skins.

No doubt the wider track of a duelie is a more stable platform but not about to drop another 60-70K on a new puller. I’ve got 6K of upgrades in the old girl and have every confidence in it. It is set up to do the job. I do however expect the transmission to be rebuild and bullet proofed. A double overdrive will also be in order at that time which will effectively turn my 4 speed into an 8 speed. May even drop gear ratio to 4:55 or 4:88. Time will tell. The 4:10 seem to be enough now with 800 ft lbs of torque.

KS-Scout-dad likes this.
  5. jnc

Yup you don't need a duellie to haul a big trailer. I will say that I love dragging my little Coleman pup with my F350 its like hauling a shopping cart around.

6. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    That, my friend, is a fine looking retirement you have coming up! It's fantastic that you have two campers to enjoy all the types of camping you like. My DH and I were just discussing how we could use at least 3 types of campers to select from based on destination, weather, who's going, etc. Enjoy your new mini-home!

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    I bow down to you as looser in the quest for the "Death Star"...We are only at 36Ft, 3 Slides and 324SqFt....
    BUT...we are at 32 years and still going with Canvas, and are Full Time living in the 5er...

All kidding aside very nice rig, enjoy your up coming retirement, and drop by if your ever near WNC....
    I'll make sure to make a spot big enough for you to park in our little campground....
    BTW... whats that need... 100 amp? LOL

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Uuuuhhh. Yeah. I think you're covered. [LOL]

9. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    "I must have joined the ranks of the underworld in this........" Wow that is the biggest 5th wheel I think I've ever seen!!!! way to go. Glad you're still around here too.

KS-Scout-dad likes this.
  10. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Death Star for sure and very nice. I wanted to go the Death Star route but DW said I won't be able to get to my remote boondocking locations in the mountains so we found a great 24RKS AR-One that I can get into almost all the places I was able to put the popup in.
    [​IMG]

xxxapache likes this.
  11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Thanks for the kind words all. The 5er came at least a year early than we planned, but then the sudden excitement only adds to the adventure doesn’t it. Yetavon, this rig is 50 amp with an auto 30 option (although I can only run 1 A/C on 30 ). I have half of your pupping experience (cudoes to you for that). I don’t think I could do a full time gig. DW and I are on acreage and really want to maintain a home base, plus I could never part with my 6x6 atv or shooting off my porch like a Hatfield. Bergman, apparently I’m not special enough to see the pic you put up. I only see a grey circle with a line in it but would love to check it out. No way I’m getting this thing anyplace remote, which is another reason we are keeping the pup.

Anyway, ready for new and enhanced adventures. And combining both camping styles and God willing, for at least the 32 years as others have. DW and feel very fortunate to have the pup, the 5er and all the awesome folks we have met over the years and are really looking forward to this next chapter.

xxxapache likes this.
  12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    That's no moon... it's a space station.

Nice rig overall!

jnc likes this.
  13. yetavon

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    We bought 3 acres for a home base, building a small campground, and still shoot off the porch. miles of trails out the back door. Not as many as we had at the old place, but that's now closed off...
    Full time or tiny house living... the 5er is our home and will be using the HTT for heading out your way when I retire in the next few years.
    We are at 4 months here and survived single digit temps overnight for a solid week.

14. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Make sure you seal up that exhaust port hole so no rebel fighters can drop a bomb on you.

thethird152 likes this.
  15. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    That sounds like that would make a great movie concept, LOL!

16. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Moar pics please ! :smiley:

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Where's that campground?

18. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
  19. jnc

Very nice. Now you got me wanting one. That's it I'm selling everything and retiring to a Death Star! Oh ya I still have about 20 years to go:(

20. yetavon

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Western NC. Basically our home with a few parking spots for visitors, water, dump station with bathhouse and pavilion and power in the works.