If an electric log splitter was available, would you use it?

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by rslaback, Oct 13, 2017.

1. rslaback

rslaback Member

Jul 21, 2012
    1. My family most recently camped at Big Bay State Park on Madeline Island in Northern Wisconsin. One of the things I had least planned for was the wet. Everything was wet. Springs ran through camp between sites and naturally all the firewood was wet enough that the first night we ended up with smores via the camper stove. I was able to get enough wood split into enough small pieces that eventually we got a fire going each night but it was more hatchet work than I normally do in 4 camping trips. Nearly every piece had to be split.

2. The room inside my wife's Highlander has been getting pretty cramped as our kids get bigger so this time we took my Avalanche instead. The mileage obviously sucked more but it was more comfortable for everyone and there was a ton more space in the covered bed than the Highlander could ever offer.

3. We almost always camp at electric sites. This has been especially true since I put an electric on demand water heater in the camper so we no longer have to wait 45 minutes for dishes water to heat at each meal.

4. I own an electric log splitter. It's no bigger than a large duffel bag.

I am very strongly considering the next time we go camping that I toss the splitter along with an extension cord in the back of the truck. I'm all about sharing and was tossing around the idea of each day placing the splitter out at the end of the driveway to our site, plugged in, and putting a sign by it to let other campers know they are free to use it if they would like.

So, if you were in a campground and noticed that you could have free use of a splitter instead of hacking everything up with a hatchet and rock would you use it or does that cross one of the sacred lines of roughing it?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Maybe.... I have yet to see a wood wet enough that I couldn't get it to burn with a propane torch and some Coleman fuel/kerosene/motor oil, all of which I carry.

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    Perhaps I'd use it if I really had the need, but cannot imagine I would have the need.

However I certainly would not consider hauling a log splitter to the site and then putting a sign up that is free for general use. I use a hydraulic splitter at home and can only imagine an electric splitter is similar. The odds of someone - possibly a kid - damaging it or worse, damaging themselves, is way too high.

If you should decide to so, I'd make sure you have a good lawyer. :( Sad state of our society.

Loaning something to a responsible camper in need is one thing, but putting a sign out that something as potentially dangerous as that is free for public use sounds like trouble to me.

Ductape likes this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I agree with nhlakes - you're opening yourself up to some serious liability by letting others use it.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    That would be strange. How many people are going to carry their firewood over to your site and split it and then carry back. Would you let people take the splitter to their site? I would just bring the splitter for my own use and if a neighboring site asked to borrow it I would let them.

JiffyPopJunkie and Ductape like this.
  6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    IF I had regular firewood and IF there was a sign saying I could use it, and IF I had firewood that needed to be split that I happened to bring, for some reason, then HECK YEAH I WOULD USE IT! But, a lot of holes in the swiss cheese have to line up before it's viable for me, but if they aligned, I'd use it.

I normally burn a local recycled product called All-Wood Brand... made from wood chips and sawdust from a high end cabinet place that uses only hardwoods (no plywood or MDF). Certified for cooking use. It's superb, and I prefer it to regular wood any day. A 60# tote is $12... can't beat that with plain old tree.

http://www.all-woodbrand.com/

But if you're going to put a power tool out there and say I can use it for free, and I have use of it... I'm going to use it. Heck, I'd probably leave some smoked salmon as a thank you. But I agree... if it is left unsupervised, you could get folks you wish wouldn't to come over and play "let's see if it will split THIS" and either get hurt or bust it. It's the way of things.

7. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    I have to say the all-wood is pretty cool. But I'm not near AK anymore and the commute would be tough.

I have stayed at Big Bay for years now and I bought a good splitting axe for that reason. Love it because the wood at most parks seems to be wet and has to be split. I admit I'm not a boy scout and suck at lighting a fire.
    [​IMG]

This last trip I used a wood pellet fire pit I made and it rocked. I brought along two bags of pellets and burned fires the whole time. Was great. Had a fire started in 1 min with no fuss. Just added pellets as needed. There is a small learning curve to burn in this pit but the hassle factor is worth not fighting firewood. Sadly, you can't really stoke a big fire, but you have no smoke and a nice fire to relax by. 20170519_212158.jpg

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I've never needed to split firewood at a campsite, manually much less with a splitter.

I echo the liability notes above too. Last year I broke a finger in a freak logspliter accident (wood spread out and jammed my finger against the lever, preventing me from easily pulling it out OR stopping/reversing the machine)

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I suspect the local camp ground management would frown on this...

There is already signs saying you can't bring in your own firewood and more signs that say you can only use firewood from downed trees or branches.

I bet if I fired up a motorized chain saw (Electric or Gas) there would be a Ranger show up right away, Definitely here on the East side of the US... Maybe out West or up North where things are really dispersed type camping you could get away with it.. Never seen a log splitter being used at a camp site...

We always bring in firewood (three or four split up wood) for the first night...

The camp grounds here on the East side of the US most often have firewood for sale to use...

We only have a big fireplace in our house for heat here in Virginia and we go though alot of firewood for that.. Getting ready for the winter months here is splitting up firewood. I used to swing the ax but of more recent times I get it done sitting in my outside chair under my favorite shade tree and splitting my small and large round firewood using a heavy hand mallet and a couple of steel log splitter wedges... They smack up fairly easy around here... Usually three or four good solid smacks using two wedges on a 18-inch log gets it done... I can drink my good ole fresh ground and brewed bean coffee and listen to good ole country music on the radio...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I always carry several packs of these STRIKE-A-FIRE fire starters on my trips... Have never failed me yet getting a fire started...
    [​IMG]
    Google Image

Roy Ken
    King George, Virginia
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Around here gathering of firewood is prohibited at state parks, but you can buy it from the park host or front office. I personally would not leave it out there for people to use - huge liability issue for you personally. I don't do campfires anyway, so I don't have to worry about hauling wood or buying it when I get there. If I really feel the need for fire I will bring my propane firepit instead.

11. rslaback

rslaback Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I should've added a couple points.

Electric splitters require two hands to operate. One pushes in a button to run the pump, the other operates the directional control. They aren't impossible to get hurt on but it is a lot harder than a traditional unit.

In Wisconsin there is a firewood ban throughout most of the state because of the emerald ash borer. You are only allowed to transport firewood a maximum of 10 miles in most cases so most campers have to buy wood at or near the park.

12. tfischer

Same here in MN, regarding transporting firewood.

But don't the campgrounds near you sell the wood pre-split? If anything, I find the firewood sold here is split *more* than I'd like, as it burns really fast (depending on the campground)

13. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Whenever I buy firewood, I have to split some of it down into kindling.

14. tfischer

Ah. We just start the fire with crumpled newspaper :)

15. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I use lighter fluid (don't breathe a word of this to my old scoutmaster), but sometimes, it's not enough to get the logs glowing, especially if the wood is green, which happens all too frequently.

16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    All of this firewood talk has finally got to me... I think I will go make me a good burning bon-fire under my favorite outside sitting tree and smoke up the place around here.. Got several neighbors that likes to do the same thing so when one of us does it pretty soon you see two or three bon-fires going...

I got a bag of junk mail to burn anyway...

Wife got me one of those 2-in-1 RCA wooopie-do TABLETS from HSN for upcoming birthday and I have been adding things to make it as portable and usable as I can get it and run the programs I spend all my time on everyday... This runs off of WIFI signals and has bunch of ram and memory to do alot of things with...

It certainly does down-loading live TV signals from the Internet as well as a few ones I missed because I was watching something else... My Tuesdays and Fridays are a busy TV day for me... Get to watch the ones I missed that are on at the same time the next day. I am a NCIS - GOLD RUSH - Curse of OAK Island guy here... Then they mix in NASCAR and NFL on me hehe...
    With this nice little toy I do some of this sitting under my favorite sitting tree in the back yard...

I have a big feeling I will be replacing my really old and slow Verizon MIFI box to maybe the Verizon MIFI JET-PACK... My older MIFI lacks through-bit speed...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]