Indoor or outdoor cooking

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Canoe2fish, Jun 29, 2014.

Where do you cook and eat; indoors or outdoors?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2014.
  1. Always outside

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Always inside

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Inside only when raining

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Whatever seems easiest at the time

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. Only prepare/eat light meals inside

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Just wondering what others do. I'm tearing my kitchen out when I strip and remodel my trailer....we never use it. Not even for light meals.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    We do have a microwave.

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

4. davej

davej New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Outside cooking only. If I wanted to cook inside, I would have stayed at home!

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk

5. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You'll get a range of answers on this one. If you never use your kitchen and want to remove it for more space there's nothing wrong with that. If you're thinking of reselling the camper later not having the kitchen may be a problem.

6. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    What is there to remove? In mine the stove is indoor/outdoor and all that's left is a sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    A lot of folks remove the whole top half of the fold down cabinet and make counter space out of it with better storage cabinets built in the bottom that's left.

8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    We cook outside at home to about 25% of the time...even in the winter

9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    All of the above! Cook out and in, eat usually in but sometimes out.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Whatever works for you, but if new to camping, you might want to make a few trips before making major changes.

We prefer to cook outside, but one reason to buy a pup for us was to have an alternative place to cook when the weather was nasty, or for heating water in the morning. We have ended up using the indoor stove more than we thought we would. For us, however, removing the sink was a quick fix to create more counter space.

Having a choice as to where to cook makes camping more flexible for us. For instance, when we started re-heating the sloppy joes for the Quad-State Rally yesterday, it was windy enough that we had problems getting the big Coleman camp stove to stay lit. We ended up reheating them for over half an hour inside, before the wind cooperated enough to finish them outside.

11. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It would be great to grill outside in the winter. But I just can't bring myself to do it when it's -20 (without windchill) and there's 3 feet of snow

12. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Apr 14, 2014
    got a patio door? Put the BBQ right in front of it. open the door, tend to cooking food, shut door and repeat...you only leave the house to set up and put away :)

13. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Franklin, NC
    Outside, 100%. We tore our kitchen out and have never regretted it. To each, his own. I treat my pup as a tent on wheels, I sleep in it and camp in the great outdoors. I know many people don't share my philosophy, but that's the good thing about it, they don't have to. What ever works best for you.

Dback2k4 likes this.
  14. Derik

Derik New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    This is my thought exactly. We have never cooked inside nor do we ever use the sink. I'm planning to rip the sink out of mine but leave the cooktop as we use it outside so this allows for a safe place to stow it while travelling. Our trailer came with a piece of countertop to put in its place when removed. Generally, we don't use the propane cooktop either; however we found that with my kids the fire simply takes too long first thing in the morning to make breakfast.

I discussed removing the sink with my mother who was hesitant at first bringing up the point about selling in the future which I quickly asked her why we would ever sell? LoL. The only way I'm getting rid of this trailer is if it is going in for scrap and needless to say, she was in agreement.

15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    There are so many types and seasons of camping (as in young, old, solo, couples or large families), as well as climates where people camp, that it is nice to have the ability to chose one's own style and equipment. We car camped on the ground for many years, still might with the right circumstances, and also backpacked (DH is off doing that this weekend, with a trail work crew. Doubtful that my blown back will allow me to backpack anymore, however [:(].)
    I grew up watching my mom cook on a Coleman camp stove, so cooking outside never seemed strange to me, though we don't do campfire or charcoal grill cooking. I never thought we'd cook inside. Then, after a few trips where weather events created real issues for cooking, once we had a pup we decided we would keep the cook-top as an alternative. We often camp where any restaurant is an hour or more away, so really nasty weather (even with a table canopy) could mean a meal of granola bars, cheese and crackers or whatever other cold lunch items are in the cooler. Not a terrible meal, but if the weather is that nasty, we probably want something hot.

We cook different meals inside than we might outside, we seldom have complicated meals while camping, but we go even simpler inside. And, cooking inside doesn't mean we don't spend most of our time outside, weather permitting.

For some of my solo trips, or when we are making a quick overnight stop on the road, having the cook-top makes things easier. It also means I don't have to cook outside in cold weather and the dark on some trips, since the pup has extended our camping season to most of the year. I could have gone to one of the restaurants on this trip to Grand Canyon, but it sure was nice to be able to do most of my own meals while DH was backpacking below the Rim:
    [​IMG]Sunshine at last, Grand Canyon Nov 2011 by kitphantom, on Flickr

16. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Jun 25, 2012
    Since it's just the two of us and the kids and spouses prefer their tents, we don't need tons of space-even for a week. No microwave (gave it away) and no toaster oven (in garage on shelf) we don't cook inside. Our stove top usu sits under the table so there is some space on the galley. We have read on the Portal of all kinds of storage ideas and have used a few/made our own. We will keep all in tact. I like to be outside or under our canopy or Fast Up anyway.

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We just finished the first trip in our TT, using it mostly as a hotel on the road, and guest quarters at my MIL's. This is the type of trip that is less "camping" than "traveling", so we prefer to keep cooking as easy as possible, though we have been known to pull out the Coleman camp stove and heat up our supper (we bring things such as chili or soup from home). Since we had electric hook-ups for our nights on the road, we actually used the microwave for some of our meals. It was handy enough that we've decided that we'll keep the microwave, though it will be just storage on many camping trips.

18. tanyaewa

tanyaewa New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    I love my outdoor camping kitchen setup as much as my home!
    We are pretty fair weather campers though - but could set up the add-a-room finally if need be
    This is full Setup.
    No power? no microwave. Just a few nights? No oven. But this was Thanksgiving dinner!

[​IMG]

19. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

Apr 13, 2008
    Garland, TX
    All cooking is down outdoors over the fire. Have a coleman stove that always goes along for the ride, it has never been used.