inspecting and greasing super lube hubs

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Mr Beasley, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Mr Beasley

Mr Beasley New Member

Aug 29, 2018
    We just purchased a used 2017 Forrest River 1640 ESP popup with super lube hubs. I have inspected and greased the bearings in our old Jayco popup many times, but that one didn't have electric brakes and the procedure was very straight forward. Do people inspect the bearings every year or just grease them thru the super lube some years? I'm concerned about starting this not knowing what I'm getting into, also F. Rv. says not to mix different brands of grease and I have no way of knowing what was used before I got this. I have seen F. Rv. video on this but it seems to skip over a few key steps. Does anyone know of a good step by step description or video of manually greasing the super lube bearings? Any help or encouragement would be really appreciated.

2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    The biggest issue is to not over grease them.
    I see a lot of buys pump a half tube in each wheel, then blow the seals out of the back.
    Mine get a pump or two, and that's it. I still take things apart once a year and inspect the bearings, but I'm picky like that.

Raycfe likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Ditto ...... plan a time to clean and repack them yourself, Get new seals and a tub of grease. You will now learn to repack the bearings, know when they were done last, and what grease you used. Great piece of mind.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I clean and repack ever couple of years. I use a NLIG #2 (Chevron Ultra Duty) chassis grease, have used this grease for over 20 years and no failures.
    Not knowing the bearing condition or if any grease is on the brake shoes, the wheels need to come off for inspection

5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I use Lucas grease usually.
    Because it's good stuff, and they buy it by the case at work. :D

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I inspect and hand pack my bearings. Not as often as some but auto manufacturers used to suggest you do it at 25k. I've never used the zerk fittings on my Jayco.

I don't think the mixing thing is so much about brand, but type of grease.

7. Mr Beasley

Mr Beasley New Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Thanks for all the information. I guess I got what I needed and will get started.