Installing A/C unit

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Adam Metoxen, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

Has anyone or know anyone that installed a a/c unit on a popup camper before?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Something like that, it's best to take it to a dealer for that manufacturer. [2C]

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I have twice... whats the year make and model of your camper? Then we need to find out if the roof has built in supports. If your camper has a 14X14 inch vent the air conditioner will go right there. Not much to the install. The main unit sits on the roof and the ceiling unit bolts the main unit to the roof. Then just plug it into 20 amp outlet.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

Coleman fleetwood
    I have no vents on mine
    I did see 4 little spots that could be the outline.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Does the roof have a support on the underside of the roof? Mine does and has the a.c. installed. I think around 2000 they realised the support was needed.

Orchid likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The dots are were you cut the hole, not that hard to do, we can walk you thru it.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I have photos will post tonight.

8. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

Thanks everyone

9. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

Thank you

10. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Yes. In my case there was a roof vent that I removed. hardest part was lifting the AC unit onto the roof without messing up the gasket. My pup was "prewired" so all I had to do was route the wires and punch them down onto a block and I was good to go.

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sorry photobucket must have a headache ........ Anyway here it goes.
    Drill a straight 3/8 hole at each spot on the ceiling. With a pencil connect the holes, should be 14 X14 app. square. Mark the outside of the roof also, again you want a nice 14 X 14 square. Drilling the holes at the corners will prevent the roof opening from cracking at the corners. Now just cut the outer layer of roof ....don't go all the way thru. Now do the same on the inside, again not all the way thru. Now with a hacksaw blade, etc using the inter and outer cuts as a guide cut the foam in the roof. You should have a nice clean hole. With a nice new gasket (I wouldn't use a universal one) attach the gasket to the underside of the A/C. It should stick to it. Lay the A/C over the hole. You are now done on the outside. On the inside connect the duct from the ceiling plate to the outer part and install the 4 bolts to hold the whole thing together. Tighten the bolts snug ......... you will have to recheck them in a week or two and one a year after that. You do not want to squeeze the living daylight of the foam roof seal. Connect your power cord, install the ceiling cover, plug the A/C into the 20 amp outlet and enjoy nice cold air.

12. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

From what I see I have one support bar going across the ceiling. Will this work?

Jason46902 and Orchid like this.
  13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Yes Thats the support.

14. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

Ok. Just making sure one is good or do I need two.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I wasted money having mine installed when I purchased my OFF-ROAD POPUP new in late 2008.

X2 on having the RV PLACE install the roof mounted air conditoner - They have the proper tools and do several of these installs a day I would imagine...

Everything works great and I too have a single ceiling support for my A/C install...

Mine is prone to ice up easy however probably due to the tent bed ends having fabric covering... Mine ice's up when it is very humid outside...

This is about what mine looks like inside my POPUP camper
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Our style of camping in a good 90% camping off-road back in the woods somewhere without shore power running off my larger battery bank and the A/C unit never gets used... I bet it hasn't been turned on in four years or so now haha...

I am going to remove it and install a second fantastic roof fan... Parked in the shade of the trees and playing games with opening the right window vents allowing you to pull in the cool nite air works great for us...

By removing the excess weight involved on my roof will allow me to add some solar panels on the roof to maintain my batteries some when in high SUN... I need this more than I need air conditionng haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine has one support. It's 18 years old and looks fine . So I would say one will do it.

Orchid likes this.
  17. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

Thanks everyone

18. Adam Metoxen

Adam Metoxen New Member

Ok, so how about wiring the unit up for power? Any ideas? I do have one way

19. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Most of them come with a regular 120v plug. Mine was factory installed and the power cord just ran to the edge of the roof, down the side of the canvas and into the dinette where you’ll need a dedicated 20 amp receptacle

Orchid likes this.
  20. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Your camper has a 20 amp outlet, usually near the convertor. The A/C has a Heavy duty cord with a male plug end that you run along the ceiling with a plastic conduct or ( to be fancy you could run it inside that roof support), let it hang from the ceiling, and just plugs into the 20 amp outlet. The cord doesn't run in the canvas and you unplug it when closing up the camper so the cord doesn't catch in the bunks. I ran my cord in the roof brace, and at the roof line installed a male and female end on the cord. That way I could disconnect it at the ceiling. That's all folks!

Orchid and Adam Metoxen like this.