Installing an awning

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Gene Knouse, May 7, 2019.

1. Gene Knouse

Gene Knouse Member

I just bought a 2000 Coleman that does not have an awning, so i bought one, it don’t have the mounting rail either.

So my question is, on mounting the rail to the top, do i need to get bolts that go through to inside and put on nut? OR do i just use short screws to mount rail?

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If the roof /side boards are solid, you can use screws. If in doubt long screws with nuts on the inside

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

also do not forget to use butyl tape under the rail to waterproof the screw holes.

4. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

When I stripped off the ABS shell and coated with Grizzly Grip, I had the same dilemma since the awning rail got stripped off also...
    I ended up drilling all the way through and used butyl tape, and stainless nuts, bolts and washers to attach.
    On my '98 Coleman, there is nothing structural inside the roof that I could tell....my drill went straight through foam and the inside ABS...
    I also sealed the drilled holes with 3M 4200. May have been overkill, but I didn't want any leaks.

I didn't want to drill holes in my roof, but it was actually a pretty easy job....

Good luck!

Erik

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The OP's Niagara will have an ABS Strata roof unless it's been replaced in it's previous life. The original awning rail was glued to the ABS roof with adhesive which was a specific Fleetwood part. Any Fleetwood popup of that vintage that has an intact ABS roof is a rarity and ought not to have holes drilled in it so if it were my trailer I'd not add a rail or awning at all but instead use a stand alone straight leg canopy next to the camper.

[​IMG]

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  6. Gene Knouse

Gene Knouse Member

thank you guys!!!!! I just ordered the tape to seal (I was going to use silcone, but this will be easier) and I might do both screws and bolts, the rail that Camping World gave me has like 20 holes to mount, so I might bolt every third one or something, and screw the others.... I don't plan on leaving the awning up when I am not at campsite anyway, so should be good....

7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

The weak point is at the railings ends. I'd do bolts and large washers for at least the 1st two of the ends there.. (front and back attachment points)

8. Gene Knouse

Gene Knouse Member

sounds like a good idea.... thank you