Installing an electric Water pump

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Mojeb, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Mojeb

Mojeb New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Have a 92 Coleman. Currently doesn’t have a water tank and is fitted with a hand pump faucet. My plan is to install a normal faucet (cheap builder grade ones since they are very small) and an electric water pump. I plan to have my 7 gallon water jugs outside the camper and have a hose go from the outside to the pump then to faucet. This allows me to have more space under the sink for storage and have water loaded on my truck and not the pop up.

So my only issue is I don’t have power. Apparently the converter doesn’t work and I don’t even have a battery. I’m looking at installing a small battery underneath the sink to run my pump. It’s 12v and 3amps

What solutions do I have without spending $150+ on a big ass deep cycle battery ?

Attached Files:

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I would replace your converter so you have 12v. If you're looking for other ideas, any battery you use will have to be recharged...

Something I've done before, is use a lithium drill battery. I had a spare drill and battery, so I deconstructed the drill and cut off the base where the battery insets. Then extend some wires and presto, I now had a reliable, rechargeable source of dc power. The lithium battery lasts a long time, and recharges in about a half hour.

Another option is to use a 120v ac pump. That would solve your power issue.

3. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    A group 24 deep cycle battery should be plenty.. and can usually be found for around $80 or$90 if you look around.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Assuming you're camping at sites with service, just hook up to the city water connection. Otherwise, a 12 volt deer feeder battery should run a water pump for a couple of days of normal usage.

5. Mojeb

Mojeb New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Yea won’t be camping at many sites, mostly out in the woods. I thought about replacing my converter, but for 200 bux ,eh. The pump is basically the only thing I’ll use the battery for , I have battery led lights inside the camper that give off plenty and won’t be using other electronics .

I’ll look into the deer feeder battery.

6. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    I wouldn't recommend putting the battery inside the camper. Most batteries will be lead-acid and will off-gas hydrogen while they are charging.

7. Mojeb

Mojeb New Member

Aug 14, 2018

So I would take it out to charge. It would only be in there for the three days I’m camping. That’s why I’m looking for something small and not overkill