Instant Pot Recipes

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by nhlakes, Nov 17, 2017.

1. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I'm not much of a cook and don't particularly enjoy it. Fortunately my wonderful wife of 30+ years is an awesome cook, enjoys it, and spoils me by cooking great meals every day.

However I recently got the hint that camping may be more relaxing for her if she didn't have to cook all the time (although we do eat out a fair amount when traveling.)

Anyway, I foolishly offered to try to do more of the cooking while camping. :shocked: We usually have power and have an Instant-Pot at the house, which I hear can be pretty fool proof.

Does anyone use one of these while camping and, if so, have any easy recipes that can be prepped ahead of time? I did a search here and did not find much.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Have you joined the FB Instant Pot page? Very active, but lots of questions and ideas.
    Look at thisoldgal.com, pressurecookingtoday.com, skinnytaste.com, twosleevers.com, and PM me for more cookbook and link ideas.
    We don't always have power for camping, so the IPs will be taking their first trip this week. Yes plural, we have three - 6 qt, 8 qt, and 3 qt, in order of purchase plus the new Gem multicooker, which is like a roaster/slow cooker, not a pressure cooker. (The Gem is a replacement for our huge roaster, though I decided not to take it this week.)
    We've meeting friends for Thanksgiving, so it's sort of a potluck set of meals. I'll be taking the 6 qt and 8 qt IPs. They're bringing a cooked ham, so we'll use one IP to reheat that. I'll cook sweet potatoes in the other. For another meal, we're doing crustless quiche, which is easy, and will use some of the ham.
    I'm still deciding on another option, it may be one of the Indian dishes from Urvashi Pitre's IP book (twosleevers) or something else.
    For other trips,t he Gem may be an option, since you can bake or roast in it.
    If you like soups and stews, you could prep the meat and veggies ahead of time and cook those at camp. Fro the most part, we actually cook at home, and take things in meal sized packages to reheat, so the IPs are used at home instead of camp.

nhlakes likes this.
  3. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Thanks for all the pointers! I'm not active on FB, but my wife is, and she's always on cooking sites, so I will share the pointers and enlist her help in the search. (although i should probably wait a week since we're up at our vaca home through Thanksgiving and if I get her going on the Instant Pot recipes she'll likely run out and buy another one for up here ;) )

Edit: I spoke too soon. I found out our IP at home was a larger unit, you mentioned the 3qt, I watched this video https://twosleevers.com/unbiased-review-instant-pot-mini-duo/ from the site you mentioned, realized that one may be better for the Aliner with just the 2 of us, and now Amazon has one on the way. ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    kitphantom likes this.
  4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We bought the 3 qt mainly to be the replacement for our very good rice cooker. The non-stick liner in that peeled, in spite of being babied, and the IP wasn't a lot more money than the replacement liner would have been.
    We figured any use in addition to rice for the 3 qt is just a bonus. I used it for sweet potatoes earlier this week. This may be the one that gets taken more for camping, either solo trips for me or ones with both of us, when we have power.
    I'm taking the two larger ones this week, since it's easier for me to use the casserole inside the 8 qt than the casserole for quiche (same one I use for steel but oatmeal and custard) in that. The 6 qt will be good for the amount of sweet potatoes for 3 or 4 of us. (I had two long, skinny ones the other day, they rested diagonally in the pot.)

5. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    We made butter chicken from twosleevers.com in the 3qt instant pot last night. I think it will be a great addition to the camper. Thanks again for the tip!

kitphantom likes this.
  6. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We used the 6 qt on our Thanksgiving camping trip. We decided that the 3 qt will be handier for camping, both for space and the way we might cook on trips. We do most ahead of time, but the option to cook with the IP on longer trips when we have power will be nice.

7. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Kitphantom, thanks again for the 3qt instant pot recommendation. Made tiki masala with the 'fool proof' instant pot last night. I am working in MA for a few days, so I am up at our place in NH for the weekend, and my wife was not around to supervise (or help prep) the butter chicken recipe. So I took the even easier way out and just dumped in half of jar of store bought tiki masala sauce and a quartered chicken breast, hit the button and walked away. Then hit the the button on my little fool proof rice cooker (when the IP started to de-pressure) and again walked away. Came out great, despite my inattention. ;) . Looking forward to giving my wife a break and taking over some cooking duties on our trip to FL in the Aliner next month.

pasobuff likes this.
  8. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I picked up the Official Instant Pot cook book at Sam's for my wife...still waiting for her to read it.

9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Got the DW the Mini for Christmas. We have always used slow cookers, got 3 sizes. Toss in the stuff and done when you get home. sometimes over done...Now that its just us 2, and living in a 340 SF 5ER, It seems like a perfect match. I'm looking for a recipe for tonight.
    It may go camping with us, the little SC has...but Cast Iron rules at the campsite

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We do alot of cooking with a high side electric skillet with lid. Momabear has alot of great meals simmering in one of those with a lid. Hard to beat a good ole pot roast with all the trimmings cooking away. Works best with shore power but I have on a few occasions fired up my 2KWH Honda Generator and cooked using the high wall 1200W skillet when I am charging my batteries like I do every morning for three hours when camping off grid... I sometimes have to watch what else I am using the generator for haha...

I really need to pickup a high wall skillet with lid for the propane stove top I guess to make life easier.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    1st attempt.....Best hard boiled egg I ever had....well hard steamed egg.
    2nd attempt, Bourbon Chicken and rice.... Chicken turned out AWESOME... tender and juicy...
    The rice was delicious, but a bit overdone and mushy....
    2 chicken breast cut into chucks
    Bourbon liquid marinade pack
    4 carrots, 3 celery, 1 onion 3 garlic cloves. cut up in your preferred size
    1 box of zaterans cilantro lime rice
    2 cups of water
    Splash of olive oil
    pinch of salt and pepper.

Hit sauté, oil, onion and garlic till soft
    add chicken and brown slightly.
    Dump in everything else and stir
    I ran high pressure at 12 minutes, but will try low pressure for the next run, cut back on time if the rice is still overdone.

kitphantom likes this.