interior lights/fan will not work on '02 Rockwood Freedom

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by briamycon, Jun 21, 2012.

1. briamycon

briamycon New Member

May 25, 2012
    i am baffled. New camper to us, everything works except the roof interior lights and vent fan on our 2002 Rockwood Freedom PUP. the air conditioner works but not the lights (i know they are on seperate power) but i cannot figure out why these won't work...nor does the previous owner

help
    thanks
    Brian

2. mtnkube

mtnkube New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Do you have the sink counter top flipped up in place and if you do check to see if you have a switch that triggers the lights to work when the sink is in the upright position. My rockwood has that type switch to prevent the lights from staying on when you put the top in the down position and causing problems.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Next in line to check is to follow where the wires go to the roof. Somewhere along the canvas or lift post must be some wiring.

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

There is a safety cut off switch for the 12v so that in case you forgot to turn off the interior lights on closing .... all would not burn up ... or melt!

That switch could be either just above the lifting post (usually driver's side front), or it's located right where the flip over sink is located. That switch can simply become stuck, with a little WD-40 doing the trick, or it might have to be replaced.

The A.C. - on the other hand - is a 110v item with a different connection.

5. NotSoRoughingIt

NotSoRoughingIt New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    My coleman had the same problem when we first purchased and it was because the switch located where the Galley swings up was stuck. I cleaned up the switch and presto lights working.Its a good thing to look at or it could be that when you swing up your galley its not fully engaging this switch.

6. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Apr 5, 2008
    Mt. Washington, NH
    also check to make sure there is not a GFI or other breaker tripped on the converter too. we have a separate depression switch on the converter too.

7. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    I have a '07 Rockwood. If your other 12v items work, water pump, furnace, outside porch light etc. then check your fuses. If not a fuse, then check the shut off switch under the gallery. See if it's going up & down. There will be a wire running up one of the lift posts that power the ceiling lights, near the top is a connector that some times gets loose.

8. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    On mine the wire had simply fallen off the switch.

Put it back on and walla lights.

9. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    You may also check your fuses. Not just for a burned out fuse either.
    I had an issue where the connector for the fuse had been open up where the fuse wasn't getting a good connection.
    A little squeeze with some needle nosed pliers and the fuse was fitting snugly again.

10. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

On our Palomino - which is also made by Forest River, there was actually a loose wire under the bench near the inverter. I also caused our lights to stop working, but when you sat on the bench, they would work again. Just check under there, and if all else fails, that might be the problem. Good luck!!

11. briamycon

briamycon New Member

May 25, 2012
    Thank you all so much...this is still a mystery.

The shut off switch under the sink looks to be ok,
    as do the fuses,
    but the GFI outlet is not 'resetting or testing' so i fear that might be a problem.
    I haven't looked into the wiring yet but will.

ugh

12. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    My 2011 Rockwood had a problem on it was the fuse out at the battery pulled out and replug it back in and it work also check wire going up to the roof

13. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    The GFI outlets would not have anything to do with the 12v lights and fan on the ceiling. (The outlets are 120 volts AC, from an outside electrical source). The 12v items get there power from the convertor converting the 120v AC to 12v DC or the 12v camper battery (if equipped). It's either the wire going to the lights along one of the lifter posts. Mine is the street side front post, there's a connector on top that can work lose. Either that or it's a fuse, I believe it is one of the red ones on the convertor fuse panel. Replace with same amp fuse.

14. briamycon

briamycon New Member

May 25, 2012
    just an update - our battery had a dead cell. seems to have fixed the problem of the interior lights (the side light by the door now works) but i haven't popped the whole thing up to confirm...but it's looking good

thank you all