irab88's 1983 Coleman Sun Valley Build-Up Thread

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by irab88, Mar 18, 2011.

1. irab88

irab88 cruisin' in style! (1983 style, that is)

Mar 17, 2011
    (mainly just to post pictures of my trailer, but also to show the general repair and restoration)

i want to turn my camper into something that looks good and works great. i got it for about $350 on craigslist

i towed it home for a good while on the freeway, and it rides surprisingly nice. i knew it was back there, but i was able to pass, and had no fear of losing control. all turns were smooth and stops took only a little extra room

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to-do:

-flip axle to top of spring
    -fix outside
    -fix doors
    -re-wire (truck and trailer)
    -clean
    -re/seal
    -waterproof the fabric

and there'll be more as i find them, but it's a good weekend project start. i'm going to pop it out tomorrow and post some more pictures

2. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    popped it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pupateer

pupateer Native Texan

Jul 30, 2009
    Houston
    Nice! :) Looks to be in pretty good shape, definitely looks camp worthy from the pics. Of course, there's always room for improvement with any camper. Just don't spend too much time working on it and not enough time camping in it... That's what winter is for.

4. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    [rant]

winter for you is spring for me (weather-wise). winter here is blistering cold and miserable. i know that northerners have it worse, but at least there aren't 3 million dumb-a55's on the roads at the same time (yeah; 3,000,000).

[/rant]

yeah, i'm really happy that it's almost ready for camping. a seam or 2 i have to stitch up, new tires, and airing it out. it's been closed waaaay too long. one of the support tabs needs to be re-welded, and there's a hole in one of the screens. but nothing i can't handle

5. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

Mar 10, 2010
    You definitely have something pretty close to camping ready right off the bat, from what I can see. Just get those zippers repaired, do a good cleaning, and you're pretty much good to go. Over time you can improve on it by replacing flooring, etc, but you should go with the suggestion of the previous post and camp first and tweak later. Summer's fun time after all. :)

6. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Don't know how you could go wrong for three hundred fifty bucks!

7. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    thanks guys!

there is some water damage in the roof, which i'll replace. but the one seam that has deteriorated (below) is the only thing i'm really wanting to fix right off the bat. it's not the weather, it's the bugs. mosquitoes are awful around here, and down at the beach, too. all the zippers and other hardware works perfectly! no issues, save one stabilizer foot, but nothing a little pb blaster can't handle
    [:D]

[​IMG]

8. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    so the "tear" in the above picture was in the velcro for a screened-in room (i assume). there is another strip like that on the other side of that panel. easy enough to run through a sewing machine. as for the canvas, only about 3 major tares. good thing i learned how to repair that kind of stuff at school!

the next major purchase is going to be new tires. the ones i have now are so cracked that i'm afraid to inflate them to the recommended 50psi. pop.

aaand i got it registered this weekend, so new plates should be coming in soon. sweet

9. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Nice camper for the money. It looks to be in good condition and you have a great plan to make it nearly new. Nice.

10. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    It seems to be in great shape! I love the older pop ups, they have so much character! If I had handy-woman skills, I would want one of those! and for $350 is awesome! Congrats!

11. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    thanks, b.r.t.

i've come to realize that this trailer is less of a mobile home and more of a tent-on-wheels. i won't be putting too many commodities in it, but i'll at least try for electric and water storage. i'll post more pictures as i do more stuff to the rig, but for now, happy camping!

12. greatlakers

greatlakers New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I like the galley, especially the size and the counter space between the sink and cooktop. It does look like it 'flips' rather that 'lifts' which would keep you from storing in it.
    Love the vintage feel of it. You should look into getting some orange Tupperware, plastic folding chairs, and an Intelevision to hook up to your TV/VCR combo.
    Go pac-man!

13. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    haha, yes! and blast nothing but ac-dc, doobie brothers, and journey.

the galley flips, so storage might be an issue, but i think i can get around it. we'll see. anyway, i'm not planning on keeping a bunch of stuff in it. just the stuff i use on a regular basis. i was in boy scouts, so i know how to pack light, and we had a jayco kiwi for a while (cross-country trip), so i know what's useful to have. this seems like a nice combination of the two.

as for the exterior, i hope to get it looking like 8 years old by fixing dents in the metal, and cracks in the plastic.

14. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Lake Orion, Mi.
    I've already done most of the stuff you listed on my son's and my 87 Sun Valley. Check out my Sun Valley album in my webshots album. If you are not going to use the screen room you can just take the velcro strip out and zip the bunkend directly to the panel next to the door. I was lucky and only had to fix a separated zipper. After working the zipperhead all the way back down, I was able to tighten the zipperhead and haven't had any more issues.

15. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    thanks dave! i looked through a couple of your posts, and there's some good info there. at some point the front and rear abs caps need to be fixed, and the roof as well. i saw several topics here about those issues.

16. tlgenterprises

tlgenterprises New Member

Oct 20, 2010
  17. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    thanks! i'm limited by how much time i have (weekends and friday evenings). i would love to do an a/c install, but my budget is also a little tight. i found a good source for a de-humidifier, which should work well for a while.

i loved looking through your thread, it gave me motivation to start the roof repair

18. tlgenterprises

tlgenterprises New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Just food for thoughts. The A/C opening is the same as a standard RV vent opening which is 14 X 14. So whileyou might have the A/C yet, you can actually reinforce the roof / ceiling with steel bars and at the same redo the inside ceiling.

19. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    thanks for that. you all are so helpful. yeah, that sounds like a good idea while i have the roof off anyway. i'll probably make my own roof, kinda. i'll use the same external and mechanical parts, but use 1.5" foam and try to have no wood.

[MOD]

20. irab88

Mar 17, 2011
    today i cleaned up my tail lights. well, in the process, rather. scuffed and buffed 'em this morning, and bought a can of stained-glass spray paint, which will be sprayed on the inside:

[​IMG]

so, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon, i'll have some nice looking tail lights. and i'm meeting up with a friend to flip the axle