Is $5200.00 a good price for a 2004 Fleetwood Utah Pop Up?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by ddbbd, Dec 11, 2010.

1. ddbbd

ddbbd New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I'm thinking of buying it and I've never owned a pop up or a tt. It does appear to be in great shape has AC/Heater, Hot water, slide out, couch, fridge, CS potty. Very clean.

2. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

Dec 6, 2004
    Asheville NC
  3. gec66

gec66 New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    It will somewhat depend on your local market, but when I was shopping late fall for a Utah or Bayside every time I looked at one that somebody wanted less than $6000 for the condition didn't suit us. In my area $5200 is a steal. According to NADA, average retail with the a/c is $5640, but even off-season I could not find one in near showroom condition for retail and ended up paying $6300 for a 2004 Bayside that fit our condition criteria (very picky!).

Be sure to check the roof for signs of water damage. Fleetwood continued to have problems even after they got away from the ABS roofs. The biggest issue in the 2004 range was not getting a good seal between the roof tracks and the roof. In some cases there was no sealant used between the track and roof during manufacture. Others here have written about a DIY repair or a PM repair so you can search and find different threads on the subject.

Besides the roof issue, Fleetwood seems to build a top quality product and we liked the build quality and features well enough to deal with any roof issue that arises with the aluminum roof. I can't say the same about the ABS roof. We decided that the risk and cost of repair was just too great to risk it. The 2003.5 and newer have either aluminum or filon roofs. Keep in mind that RV build quality cannot be compared to automotive standards and no matter what you buy it will required maintenance and repairs over the years.

Here is a link to the RV section of NADA if you want to look up used values.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
  5. ddbbd

ddbbd New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Excellent information I appriciate the effort. My TV is a 2005 Z71 or worse case a 2000 Trooper (rated to pull 5000). I'm thinking this might be a good deal if it's not gone before I can get it.

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    IMO, that is a good price.
    I love the Utah layout - it feels HUGE inside.

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I agree with Twisty, if everything works and is in good condition (such as fridge in all modes, furnance, HWH etc). With the slideout, it feels spacious. Be sure to have a friction sway bar. We had to buy a bigger tow vehicle to have enough power to climb all the mountains one encounters out West.

8. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    I have a 2004 Utah and it is a great popup to me and worth the price you are looking at.

9. yogi

yogi New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    We love our '04 Utah! The price does sound good if the shape is good. It has a ton of room!