Is anyone having end of summer time "let down"???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by funmom21, Sep 2, 2013.

1. funmom21

funmom21 I am a DW with a wonderful DH and 2 DD teenagers

Hello Fellow campers... I have 2 DD that are going back to school tomorrow and due to a health issue I needed to cancel our last Labor Day trip [:(] My daughters are so excited to go back to school but I am bummed because we can't just jump into the car and go on a quick trip. We plan on doing some trips during the school year but I feel that they are going to be filled with the anxiety of homework and other school stuff. We have a 10th and 8th grader so not much time to have these fun times with them. Anyone else having the "end of summer let down?"

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I know how you feel, but Fall is one of my favorite times to go camping. It's still warm enough to go to the beach, but Fall in the mountains is the best.
    We are having a Halloween rally, if you are interested.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=73810.0

3. RevJD0266

RevJD0266 New Member

We just bought our first pop up and it needed some work so our first trip will be after the kids fo back to school. But its been a non stop "are we going camping yet"? First trip will be in lakeport state park in october can't wait.

4. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Why don't you do a little driveway camping could be fun for the DD's and they can be sick all they want just get them a bucket.

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

For me, it is more like end of summer relief. I am glad to saying good bye to the humidity of Illinois summer. Let the briskness of fall redden by checks and the warmth of the campfire toast my toes.

6. skysummit

skysummit Member

In south Louisiana, we're entering our camping season....at least I am. I cannot wait to get out of the stagnant south Louisiana summers. Summer air down here is so thick, you practically need gills.

7. candleems

candleems Member

Yooper... right there with you. The sooner the better.

8. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

no way, the best time of the year is coming up. This month we will do 2 weeks in the Smokies and then the NC Fall rally in Oct. The Nov. outing is still tentative.

9. froggie

froggie New Member

The summer, except for the extreme heat, has been over for us for 4 weeks. We've been in school for 3 weeks already. [:(] I am ready for fall camping. Got a quick trip planned for Sept 20 and a week off for Thanksgiving in November. It's really been too hot and dry to camp comfortably the last few weeks, anyway (100+, burn bans, and low water tables).

10. kpic

kpic New Member

Hopefully the rain will stop so we can enjoy Autumn. [:D]

11. Jean

Jean New Member

Big time over here. My daughter has an assignment due the first day of English class which should be pretty easy. She put off doing it, and now just sits in front of the book. This is familiar territory for us, so although we have one more camping trip planned, I'm afraid its' going to end up with her doing homework and us staring at her.

Sigh.

And then, after that one more camping trip I go back to school. There definitely won't be any more camping after that.

Jean

12. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Definitely summer "let down" in this house! It doesn't help that we had about a month and a half of summer this year. It rained. And rained. And then rained some more. All the way through until mid-July. That's after it was cold, cold, COLD until mid-June! And now that it's Labor Day, fall seems to have rolled in with a vengeance! But nicely, we've got a couple fall trips in the works yet. So the camping isn't quite done yet. :)

13. Jeni Ann

Jeni Ann Member

Yep. In the BC (Before Children) days, We would do more camping after school started and it was our fave time. The plan was to go back to that again. But now I am employed in a grade school, so ... I suffer from the end of summer blues all over again. (But I LOVE MY JOB [:D])

14. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Summer does go too fast. Fall camping is good, but the days get shorter, and it gets dark sooner. Here in MN we're counting down the days til the end of the camping season. [:(O]

15. skysummit

skysummit Member

That's our exact plans...a quick weekend for Sept 20 and 5 days in TN the week of Thanksgiving.

16. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

well the first half of camping season here was spent in a wheelchair. and the DW would not let us go camping. when they put me in a walker it was time to camp. wouldn't you know walkers don't work in campers [:(] very good. needless to say I was not able to carry anything. and it really wore me out to camp that first time. the next 2 times were not much better but we could relax [SNZ] a little. but therapy kept getting in the road [}:)] of any serious camping.
    now that I'm about done with getting ready to go back to work summer is about over. wouldn't you know. [:O] NOW I"M REALLY GOING TO CAMP> I guess I will take all the fall camping I can get. happy camping.

17. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Right there with ya camping brother- but its been more of a mid-summer let down. Last trip out for us was a quickie overnight in the first week of July. Been staring at the pup for 2 months. Alas another overnight opportunity has presented itself, and the weather is looking stellar. Its only one night, but I'm gonna take what I can get!

18. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I camped more this summer than I ever have before. I pulled my trailer 3,336 miles during 7 trips and 27 days/nights, camping in CO, OK, SD and WY. We do have a bit of the blues going but we had a more-than-satisfying season. Camping season really ends for us when my DGF goes back to her school district job [CK] [BBQ] about a week before the kids go back. Now, we are focused on our NTU winter hobby, a 1996 snowmobile which is nearly ready to roll out - as soon as the proper weather gets here. [%] [{}=] [:D] [Guitar]

19. funmom21

funmom21 I am a DW with a wonderful DH and 2 DD teenagers

Just a fun update... after the big back to school fights that my 2 DD's (teenagers) put us through during this last weekend and how Monday was nothing but yelling I have to say this: I think summer let down is gone.....
    1)they can go back to school as I very slowly slow the car down and kick them out of car (hahah- don't call CPS on me [;)]
    2) I can then come home do my work in peace and quiet and dream of our next camping trip.
    3) I must remember that the worst day camping is better than any day at home without my DH and my DD's at school [:(]

20. Indy

Indy Member

No, whatever the opposite of end of summer "let down" is, that's what I'm having.

Like Louisiana, the Houston summer is just plain MISERABLE and my A/C is not working for crap. My bank account has been bleeding as we paid for senior graduation stuff, then college stuff for my DS. I'm SO GLAD he graduated and THRILLED that he's starting college, but it hurts the checkbook for sure. We didn't get to make as many trips as we had hoped, but had one super incredible AMAZING 11-day adventure. We were supposed to have a short but exciting Labor Day getaway, until DH came down with bronchitis and DS came down with an earache, and the A/C needed repairs, and the car needed repairs, AND AND AND ... we decided we better take that as a sign and reschedule.

So, I absolutely CAN. NOT. WAIT. for things to slow down and get back into a normal schedule with weather that is bearable. Hurry up, fall!