Is Higher Ground Clearance Better for Towing?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Nani2, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We are looking at Forest River Flagstaff pop ups to tow with our 2017 Sienna. The SE Models have 15" mud rover tires with 12" ground clearance. I have read several suggestions to raise hitch. Would this help in towing?
    This is totally new to us and we want to make it easy as possible .

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The extra ground clearance is for off road use. The added height many or may not help any with tow-ability depending on the TV arrow dynamics. As long as you Tow it level or slightly nose down (1"-1.5") you should not have any trouble.

3. Sharkdude

Sharkdude New Member

when I towed a utility trailer with my dodge minivan, I used a 2 inch hitch with a 5 inch rise to keep the trailer level while towing

Blackripley likes this.
  4. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Keeping things level is the most important factor in this case...

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Hitches are dead cheap, especially at Walmat (less then $8 online). Buy a hitch with the necessary drop.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I agree. Higher center of gravity usually means less stable side to side but for the amount we are talking probably won't be noticed.

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

More ground clearance always a good thing

8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity did you dictate this message?

9. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Member

Yes, get a hitch with a five-inch rise or so. In modern vans, because of the foldaway seats, the receiver is pretty low to the ground. Your hitch will still be lower than the rest of the trailer. Not that it matters. How high or low the hitch is does not change the center of gravity or towing dynamics of the trailer. The weight distribution remains the same. The only effect is which direction the beer will migrate in the fridge during travel.

10. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Less of a concern with single axles, but not towing a trailer level on a double axle will shift more weight to one axle, causing premature wear and could have some handling issues. Again, not as concerned on a single axle, but probably a good idea to keep it as level as possible, or the hitch just a tad higher.

11. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Member

I have a Flagstaff off road SE and had to use a 7-8" bar rise to get mine level for my GLK that has a very low receiver. I had the receiver installed and verified the ball at 18" and discovered with my trailer that was too low. Towing the trailer gave me a distinctive V between the trailer and the TV Adding an adjustable height bar made a big difference and now the connected camper is level. BTW E Trailer had a great price on the adjustable bar. A cheaper solution, if you have a good level surface to begin with is just level it up and measure the hitch height, then buy a fixed bar with the correct rise to level your trailer-TV combination. I didn't have that luxury.