Is there a switch to change from AC to DC power?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Josh B, May 18, 2019.

1. Josh B

Josh B New Member

I just bought a 1999 Rockwood pop up. AC works great. Is there a switch to change from AC to DC power? Hooked up fully charged battery and nothing works. What am I missing?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Does the 12 volt equipment work when the camper is plugged in? If yes >>>> check the battery protection fuse in the power panel (convertor). It will be the first thing to blow if the battery is hooked up backward. White to ground (-) . black to positive (+).

3. Josh B

Josh B New Member

Yes. Everything works when plugged in to 120V from house. Is the converter underneath the bench where the water tank is at? Forgive me for being a novice.

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The converter will usually be built into a cabinet or bench. From the front should be a plastic flip-open panel to access the fuses. Should be an ugly brown that doesn't match very well. I'm sure they've changed over the years but that's the idea.

It should be accessible without going into any cabinets or anything.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sometime after 1996 they stopped using a switch for DC power since the converters had some ability to charge the battery. There should be a fuse in the power center for the battery and another at the battery itself. you need to look down low for the power center. FYI, the big black cord that plugs into utility power terminates at the other end @ the power center, so you could find that cord and follow it to the back of the power center.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Details needed. So, are you saying the Air Conditioner works great or the AC power works great? You won't be running the Air Conditioner on DC power.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Don't expect any 120v outlet to work on battery, only the 12v lights, furnace etc work via battery.

theseus likes this.