Is this normal behaviour?

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by ThePatrams, May 5, 2017.

1. ThePatrams

ThePatrams Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Alberta, CAN
    So happy - the camper is set up in the driveway, and I'm inside busily cleaning, de-winterizing... and laying on my bunk reading and pretending I'm camping :) DH caught me out here "working" and he is laughing at my weirdness.

Seriously, this is third afternoon I've escaped to do camper stuff. But the stuff? Yeah, I'm really just hanging out in here, enjoying the camper smell.

This is normal, right?!?

Heartman_wa likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Yes

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Absolutely normal.[:D]

4. Ductape

Ductape Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I do it as often as possible......

5. Tracy D.

Tracy D. Member

Jun 24, 2016
    London, Ontario
    Normal for a camper!

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Works for me!
    I liked being in our pups when they were open at home. Now we have a TT, so it's much easier to escape to it. We did that one evening last summer, when the power was out. I've been threatening to go out there to work on my quilt - inside, I get side-tracked by chores, internet, and so on.

7. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My gf didn't even really like camping a year ago, this year she's almost been nagging to go.

I was on the crazy side making sure everything was to spec do our first trip wouldn't have issues.

If we had a bigger space I would probably have slept in it.

8. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Normal? That's defined as "the same as everyone else"
    You're asking a community of campers... so, of course, it's perfectly normal, by our standards :)
    Your neighours may think you're crazy, but they're just jealous!

Go ahead and enjoy Camp Driveway, like the rest of us crazy people...

Ian, the man from Scotland

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our popups made great places to watch the birds in the trees next to the driveway and in the feeders there. TT doesn't work as well, and we had to cut down one of the trees, but it's still nice to watch them from inside the camper.

10. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    It is something you don't have to do. Excellent self administered therapy.

11. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Sometimes I go in mine to hide from the children. They busted me for hiding in the bathroom...

12. JWeible

JWeible Member

May 11, 2015
    My daughter likes to eat her lunch in ours whenever it's popped up because we are fixing something or cleaning it.

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    If he thinks you are weird now, wait until you start on the mods

jmkay1, D_Gibb and kitphantom like this.
  14. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Set ours up last weekend to do a little pre-camping tlc, woke up 3 hours later after stretching out on one of the bunkends for a few minutes...lol

Tracy D. likes this.
  15. Carlsbad

Carlsbad Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Normal? I had a truck camper once. I would eat lunch in the camper in the parking lot at work.

16. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Absolutely normal and standard behavior.

I myself this week took some time to fiddle with the hot water heater (not a euphemism, trying to replace a cracked brass check valve [LOL] ), and in between checking other systems, laid down on a bunk to watch an instructional YouTube video... or five... and woke up an hour later.

17. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    I worked with a friend who bought a house 3-4 hours from work, he bought a used truck camper and lived in it in the parking lot during the week, and drove home on weekends for several years before he retired.

18. Chloe

Chloe Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Just to add to all the supporters...
    Heck, yeah! We don't have our camper yet, but I see it as an extension of the house, just like a patio or porch. You need to live in it to see how it all works, yes? :smiley:

19. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Normal? For many but certainly not for all. I have never camped in my driveway and have no desire to do so. In fact, only time it is open is when being cleaned, fridge loaded for a trip, or winterized. Other than that is sits closed up and off to the far side of a three vehicle wide driveway.:D

20. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My POPUP is setup in my back yard near the edge of the woods line and I have a neat little spot nestled under a tree with my house fire places logs on two sides... I also have a firepit here... I have run 120VAC out to this location tapped into a 20A receptacle in the garage... My 20AMP service runs all of my POPUP appliances including the air conditioner however I have to watch what is being used at the same time otherwise I end up tripping the garage house breaker... Great place to test out my latest mod battery bank changes... We also have a great off-trail camping location at Westmoreland State Park which is just some 25-miles or so from here. Will go there to really test out some of my mod changes before heading out on the road somewhere...

I do all of my post trip cleaning and taking inventory of things I need before going on the next off-grid camping trip. The fantastic fan works great sitting in the shade of this big tree...

Great place to catch a quick afternoon snooze... Many of nights with a couple of us sitting around the firepit poking the fire and listening to the night sounds of the woods... Gives you a good perspective on what all of the yard birds do before settling down for the night... My Cardinals are the last birds to use our bird bath water setup near this point.

You can see my back yard woods line in my profile camper photo... I have recently done some changes with my wood pile situation and need to get some back yard setup photos going... We are very blessed to have the county folks here let us do this with our back yard camping setup... We have many visitors when the county wide power outages occur during bad storm days... Sometimes you even here "Darn - the power just came back on" hehe....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]