Is this something to consider? 1990 Spacemaster for $745?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by truckinusa, Nov 10, 2018.

1. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1990-Starcraft-SPACESTAR-1224-5003825312

I know it says a different price, but they got it on facebook for $745. It supposedly has a broken cable system. The top is supposedly good. Is there anything to look for? Maybe only good for parts?

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    750 to 3000 is a huge price difference in listings. To me that is a sign of trouble. I would be hesitant to trust anything when the seller can't set an accurate price.

3. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Its a dealer. I'm sure they are trying to milk every dollar they can out of a turd. Maybe they broke the cable? I dunno. There are facebook pics with boards of wood holding up the top

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    It's worth a look if you're local, just be mindful that you aren't going to be able to inspect it properly if you can get it open. Without being able to inspect it properly I would beat the price down as much as possible, at least under $500. I can see one of the adjustment turn buckles hanging under the camper. Cable is cheap as are replacement lights. Worst case is strip and sell or reuse everything thats good and have a nice utility trailer. Best case is you invest a few hundred more and have a nice camper to last you several years. I don't know about the Spacemaster 1224, but the Starmaster 1224 is a big PUP.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    So why list it as $745 on facebook?

When I bought my FnR, it was listed at one price on craigslist and for $500 more on an RV broker webpage. The difference was to account for the cost of the broker.

Here, there is no reason to have such a marked difference in price. If the dealer is sure he can sell it for $2000 or more (hence an asking price higher), then why list it so low on facebook? Defeats the purpose of the higher price.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Just might be a scam is being run too. Either way I would be leery about it. As stated that is a big drop in price.