Issues with sink in new PUP

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Desird97, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Desird97

Desird97 New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    We finally got to use our new Jayco 10sd but ran into an issue where the sink won't drain. I removed the drain plug (pic below) and the water would drip out very slowly, but the sink would pretty much remain full. However, as soon as i lifted the sink unit about 3 feet high all of the water came gushing out. I had a friend, who is pretty familiar with PUP's, look at it and he said it looks like a faulty design. I believe the '17's are different than the 16's as my unit folds over the dinette (pic below, don't have one where the sink is up)and not down in front of the fridge, so there is quite a bit of drain hose the water travels through before making it's way out. Is there some other valve i should be opening to allow air in to help with the flow? Anyone have any thoughts/advice on this?

Thanks

Aaron

Attached Files:

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    It's possible that the drain hose is just a little too long and that it's kinking somewhere before the actual outlet port.

You can always install a cheater vent inside the camper. $6 will get you one at HomeDepot.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-ABS-PTC-In-Line-Cheater-Vent-39012/100204205

Lots of folks take the external route and mod a drain vent that attaches to the drain fitting outside the camper.

[​IMG]
    http://www.thepopupprincess.com/pop-up-camping/our-gray-water-system/

There are tons of sink drain vent mods around, use the forum search link to find them.

3. Desird97

Desird97 New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Mine drains out of the bottom, not the side, does that make a difference? I looked for a kink and didn't see anything.

4. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    It's also possible that there's something lodged inside the p trap or drain hose but I still think the hose might just be too long so that when the sink is set up, the hose kinks. Folding the sink up stretches out the hose, the kink disappears and the water can flow.

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    ^x2^
    If you can lift the sink 3' high, the hose is awfully long.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like the design is different on the newer Jayco's sinks. I had a 91 Jayco 1006 that had a flip over gally. On my old unit the sink's sewer line was not attached to the sink itself, but to the base of the cabinet below and the sink used a gasket to prevent leakage. When you said you lifted your sink 3inches and it all gushed out, did it gush out onto your cabinet or threw the hose? If it gushed threw the hose I'm aiming that there is a kink in the line as others said when the sink is in position. the other could be a food particle got caught in the line unless it was like this the day you bought the unit.

7. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    You mean new, as brand new? if so get your dealer to check it.

8. Desird97

Desird97 New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    I actually lifted it 3 feet and then all the water drained through the hose. I can't see a kink anywhere, even when it is fully down. The unit is brand new and 2 weeks ago was the first time we ever took it out, doubt anything is blocking it, especially since the water flows once i lift it up.

9. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Well, hopefully someone else has a solution for you. Keep us posted if you figure it out.

10. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Why not just take it back to the dealer and have them check it out?

11. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Your hose forms a giant P-trap. Between this giant P-trap and the existing P-trap you have an air lock. Someone at the factory put in a hose that is longer than what the specs called for. That's my guess.

12. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just bought an '17 Jay sport 8SD and have the EXACT same problem.

We went camping in it for the first time last week (picked it up last Tuesday), and I would just lift it a bit and it would drain. It looks like the problem is the fact that the hose runs flat so long that its actually just slowly draining - not kinked. I haven't worked on it enough to fix the issue, but nice to know I'm not the only one having the problem / I'm not crazy for thinking it should drain faster.

13. Desird97

Desird97 New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Exactly, i really think it is just a bad design. The dealer I bought it from is over an hour away so its a pain to take it there just to have them tell me they can't do anything. And i really don't want to cut the hose, but i think that is going to be the solution.

14. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    dont cut the hose, replace it for warranty purposes.

15. aggiepm

aggiepm New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Did you ever get this figured out? I just bought a 2017 Jayco 8SD and I have the SAME issue. The water wont drain unless I left the sink up a bit towards the storage position, but it doesn't seem to actually be kinked in there.....

16. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Oct 2, 2018
    Sounds like there's to much hose looping up, and that is causing a vapor lock. A drain vent would fix that, but so would a straight drop without the excess hose looping. Just posted this to another person on another forum who was having the same issue.

Here's a pic of my previous Starcraft 2406 where I used an external drain vent I made.

[​IMG]

17. aggiepm

aggiepm New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    The Jayco Sports starting in 2017 drain from the bottom not the side anymore, so a vent like that would not work, not sure how you would put in a vent with a drain on the bottom.....

I am contemplating putting in a vent on the sink drain itself, kinda like how an overflow works on a bathroom sink.....

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Pictures? You could always add a vent, maybe the undersink kind? Depends where its located and how long of a run you have? I dont have a starcraft. But the vent and a larger drain hose worked for me.

aggiepm likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I use this, pool hose. This is for the sewer connection at a campground. Its teed at the bottem because the drains on the colman are on diffrent sides, sink on one side , shower on the other. So this thing gets screwed on the drain, then a hose to the shower side and a hose to the sewer intake. The pool hose is much larger then the garden hose most use. So it drains better.

20. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Here lol sorry.

Attached Files: