It's more than a restoration project ...

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by carriermnky, Feb 18, 2017.

1. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    You're doing a great job! I'm impressed. I just bought my first PUP and she needs a lot of work too. I plan on stripping down the roof this weekend and rebuilding it the following weekend. Thankfully I have no floor rot. Mine is a 10' camper so I plan on pulling out the sink and cabinets to give me more space. Somehow I will need to figure out how to add support to the walls since I am pulling the cabinets. I'm sure this website will have advice. Keep up the great work and definitely keep us posted on your progress.

2. IngieBee

IngieBee New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Hey there, I just wanted to say that you're doing a great job so far and that I hope you're not discouraged. Really these things are not that complex. The one main thing I suggest is that you not throw away your interior Furniture pieces. The other thing that's important is that although all the interior stuff is thin and seems cheap, the popup is made to be very very lightweight. Even if your car can pull a heavier camper, you still have to pay attention to the axle of the camper. It can only take so much. Right now I'm in the middle of trying to fix up a popup as well. It might be a little easier for me, although I'm a woman, because I've done a lot of work in our house and I worked in the business of construction. But really I think it's not impossible to do even for the ground up if that's what ends up happening to you. So please do not get discouraged because it looks like you got a big project in front of you.

Mostly store the aluminum skin safely you will need it. Also safely store all the vents and doors, the trim just all the little parts. Make sure you don't lose them if possible. That kind of stuff can get expensive to replace. The wood structure underneath the skin is not that expensive. I suggest when you're putting this back together again to use screws and pre drill the holes, because I find that it's actually easier especially if you have a electric screwdriver. It also makes for a nice tight and strong finish. If you manage to finish this project, you will know everything about your camper, how to fix any problems, and probably feel more confident in camping than anyone else in their popup. By the way I also put laminate flooring in my popup I figured it was worth the extra weight and it looks awesome.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Thank you both tls2971 & IngieBee for such great support. I'm getting a lot on here. I need and want it. It's good to learn and know it's given with great heart.

Ha, discouragement...picture this

when I took the last skin side off, and the front fell forward and off the subflooring... it was almost in slow motion (can you say "crickets").

I just stood there for a sec and reassessed... well.. this WAS a blessing to strip her down. I still can't believe it wasn't secure to the subflooring. So far, I'm not in that frame of mind yet. Hoping I don't get there, (she schmirks) the wiring and the lift system has given me some anxiety. Just reading here every night and doing a little every day after work is keeping me steady.

Oh IngieBee, I have saved ALL small parts in one container, all metal has a picture and tagged before removing, all lights have pictures of wiring and tagged too.

Great advice for those who haven't worked with wood to pre drill holes. I have no problem admitting I know this, yet didn't follow through and cracked the old wood right in half! It's so brittle, but even with new wood it's the best so it won't crack. So... as I put her back together, no short cuts.

As for the furniture/skin... too late I took her to the dump. My mom (Pop has passed, he would have been great to pick his brain in this area they LOVED to RV) told me to really watch the weight distribution. So when I start to put her back together the must have's, like 13 gal fresh water container, pump, fridge, battery, LP tank, shower/toilet (built in), the wood for the two bunks and last drawers/seating, the iron cookstove, flooring is heaving too, will all be considered where best to make sure when after loaded I don't create a problem. :/

So I'll work with the great advice and more. I LOVE this place. Keep it coming and I hope that my thread too will one day be helpful or motivate those who never have done this before.

DanielFlorida likes this.
  4. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I decided to work with the flex seal and seal all around the edges of the subflooring. I'll then wrap it with aluminum trim. I kept on spraying right up the framing too. I'm sure it'll split during all the movement, but at least there's an effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Carriermnky, you're doing a GREAT job.

Now I can see why you are considering re-doing the wiring.

Keep up the good work and keep posting.

tls2971 likes this.
  6. 4BeachBums+

4BeachBums+ Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Carriermnky,

Thanks for sharing! I love following all these rebuilds! We are in the middle of a complete rebuild. We purchased a 1997 Flagstaff and though it looked like it had some water damage (sides of the roof and front storage trunk corners), when we got into it, we ended up taking it down to the trailer and starting over. We saved every little piece/part (as Ingiebee suggested) to use as a template. We have put diamond plate on the front and rear and rewired everything. We only have a few exterior things to do. We are in the middle of the interior, the kitchen area. We are putting a shower in using a laundry tub, another idea I got from this site! We were very surprised to see the actual construction of pop ups. We are confident that our custom pop up will be more than we could have hoped for! We purchased ours Feb 2016 and we are still at it. We work and have family so many things pull us away. We can't wait to get camping one day soon! Good luck and keep the faith! Popupportal ROCKS! [8D][PU]

7. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    That's awesome 4beachbums+!! Where's your link to share I want to see that diamond plate!! I'm doing that too. I'm also going to do the Shou Sugi Ban Japanese burning technique with cedar planks for the sides. Yup. Love this community they've built here.

8. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    She's almost ready to start to stitch her back together this weekend.

I've made her body parts my lock screen! Is that morbid?

[​IMG]

coolcat, IngieBee and Andy Danhof like this.
  9. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Not morbid - I think we all have a few loose screws...

10. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    [LOL][LOL][LOL]

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Looking fantastic!

12. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Thank you!!

Orchid likes this.
  13. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    Carriermnky, I emailed you the manual. Hope you get it alright.
    My floor is completely out of my pop up...yea...now to paint the frame.
    I hope you get your camper back together soon.

14. Andy Danhof

Andy Danhof New Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Sheboygan, WI
    Looking great!! I popped my '96 Dutchmen this past weekend knowing that I was needing to replace the canvas and ended up finding more rot in the roof than I had hoped. Loos like I may be doing a roof rebuild myself. I have a friend coming over in couple days to offer his advice. Oh well, I have 8 to 10 weeks before the new canvas arrives, hoping to knock out the roof rebuild in a couple weekends put the new canvas on and be ready to roll by mid June. Have you started your roof rebuild yet? I'm hoping I will be able to just replace the sides and reseal everything. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how the progress is coming.

15. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Yes I sure did! And I most def replied with a big thank you. :D You're a BIG heart and am thankful to have befriended you on here.

kreeves likes this.
  16. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I think I'm making it may last project, BUT!!! From all that I've seen, it should be (cough cough) easier than what you expect. Post a link to your build I want to follow all of you guys.

JUNE! You DOWG... oh crap did I say that out loud? :/ Don't mind me, I'm just jealous. I won't be able to order my canvas till around June. 6-8 weeks dang... now I'm a little bummed... but that's okay.. I'll go camping before the year is up then. I was shooting for July... flick a tear..

17. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Wait you took the whole floor out!? I should have as I lay the planks... I see some warps.. :/

Oooo you get a pretty new bottom hehehehe

18. Andy Danhof

Andy Danhof New Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Sheboygan, WI
    Yeah, that may be optimistic but we'll see. The friend checking it out today is a professional carpenter so I'm hoping that will give me an edge in the roof work. I hadn't thought about starting a thread for it, but that's not a bad idea. Good luck with your rebuild, keep up the good work.

carriermnky likes this.
  19. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    Yes floor completely gone AKA out. I have the sides and the top held up with ratchet straps hanging from my garage rafters... Oh the pictures... Once new floor I'm taking to local RV dealer to put a new lift crank on it. Doesn't go down like it should, so bring on the professionals. Carriermnky, so nice I could be a help.:smiley:

carriermnky likes this.
  20. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Heck you can share here just wanted to follow and share ☺