Jack for replacing a flat tire

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by sblanck, Nov 26, 2018.

1. sblanck

sblanck Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Greetings,

I took off the tires on our pup because they are out of date. I went to use this hydraulic jack I had in the pup but wasn't tall enough to get it off the ground. Luckily we haven't had a flat tire. Does everyone just use their vehicle scissor jacks to elevate the pup for a flat or do you have a specific jack that came with your pup?

2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I either use an old scissors jack from a previous car, or I bring my smaller hydraulic lift jack that goes to about 16.5" high and works also. Prefer the hydraulic jack as it has more options and easier to get up in the air.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  3. sblanck

sblanck Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Will have to look into getting a scissor jack that elevates high enough.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    You could put a block under the jack

kcsa75, Sjm9911 and Fless like this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I bought a bottle jack just for the camper

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Just like above, I bought a bottle jack. The jack that came with my tow vehicle is too tall for my camper if I had a flat so bought something smaller. I can always use the TV jack to supplement my smaller jack if I need to. However because the base on the bottle jack it so small I don't trust it on uneven surfaces so have to figure something out if Im on uneven ground.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I have (but have not used yet) a Easy Lift Trailer Jack.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I carry a bottle jack in my TT. I also have several pieces of 2 x 6 for just in case.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    A small bottle jack under the spring plate does the job nicely.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have a small bottle jack for local travels and also at times carry a small floor jack, I have a piece of 3/4" plywood for under the jacks in sand etc. I also have at my disposal my leveling boards

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I carry 2 bottle jacks , and my wood levelers. You never know where you will get a flat. And odds are the ground will not always be level. Better safe then stranded!

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I carry an old scissor jack from a truck, and a pack of lynx levelers with caps. Even with a truck jack it will not get the tire high enough to put on the new one, although you would be able to remove the old one (don't ask how I know!)

The lynx levelers get used when I have an uneven site and need a little more height for the stabs, so they do double or triple duty for me, although I use a BAL leveler for side to side.

13. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    That's sweet

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Yup, I think I'll give it a try in the spring.

Best to put down the stabs as a safety measure with whatever method you use.

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Test it with every new camper and new TV. I have always been lucky that my TV jack has always worked on the camper I using. I might need a block of wood, but it works. Don't need a extra jack. Now the tire iron is a different story. It fits about 25% of my campers.

Been on the side of the road 5-6 times using the tv jack.

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I thought about doing that, as all of my TVs had good scissor jacks. Unfortunately they are all stored in such a way that it would be difficult to pull out without unloading a bunch of stuff first. I found it easier to just keep my spare jack and stuff together and it rides inside the door for easy access.

My Aspen has the jack stowed underneath the middle seat, so a little easier to get to unless I have the truck packed to the gills (which is often the case when I do actually have a blowout).

Katskamper and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I never even checked my tv jack. Had a few bottle jacks in the garage, put two in the storage box along with my wood levelers. I can jack the pup up to 3 feet if needed[:D]

18. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010

BINGO :)

19. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    I uses the screw jack from my TV. It's mounted under the right front seat with a wing nut and the handle just snaps out of clips under the hood. Have to carry a different lug wrench for the PUP.

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    They work great with leaf spring trailers, but if you have a torsion axle you may want to test before you need it.