Jayco 12hmd Step Problem

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by rogotoo, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

1. rogotoo

rogotoo New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Just got back from my first long trip with my ntm Jayco hardside 12hmd, a two week trip from Florida to Ohio and back. Awesome trip and the camper worked great. Was in temps from a few days in the 90's to a few nights in the 40's (wasn't expecting that at all in June lol). I wasn't real sure about the cool cat unit when I got this camper but it worked like a champ through the extremes of weather I encountered.

I have a friend that has 10 acres in north Florida and I stayed there for the last few days of the trip but when leaving I hit a pothole hidden in the weeds and heard a loud bang. I got out and walked around the truck and camper but didn't see any problems. When I got home I unhooked the trailer and started setting it up to empty and clean out and I couldn't get the step pulled out. That's when I realized that the bang I heard was the step bottoming out and the step frame was bent.:mad: I got out my trusty tape measure and found I have 16" of ground clearance to the frame but only 10" to the step frame. Now I have to decide whether to try and straighten the step, replace it or just remove it and get a portable step. At the moment I'm leaning toward just building a step box that I can use for extra light storage that will fit in the doorway when traveling and removing the step to avoid this problem in the future.

Anybody else ran into a similar problem and how did you solve it?

2. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    If you can straighten it, go for it! You might have to unbolt it to really work on it.

My dad's bounder had power steps. The were bent again and again, each time with a different fix. Sometimes just a few bends with a pipewrench, once we had to cut and drill a support arm. After all was done, I cut the lowest set off - it was always hitting curbs, campsites, dirt... He was 1 foot away from a stepstool last he made me work on them!

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    If you can straighten it I would.
    If not, build a step.

This is what kept me away from "normal" pop ups. Many of them, especially the older ones, ride really low.
    Roads where I live are awful, so that wouldn't work.

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    I finally replaced mine. The best selection I found was on on etrailer.com. I went with a 2" drop instead of the original 5" and use a Folding step when needed. We're much happier with the reduced drop on the first step out of the camper and the new step has gone almost 4 years without getting bent.

Be sure to measure the spacing between the mounting bolts on your trailer before you order. Even then you may have to redrill the rear holes.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Just hammer it out and save a few bucks so you can have a beer and relax after some fun with a hammer & metal.

J Starsky likes this.