Jayco Engineers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by CatzWilson, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:19 PM.

1. CatzWilson

CatzWilson New Member

May 28, 2017
    Memphis (Shelby County)
    IMG_3182.JPG IMG_3183.JPG Red Flags...
    Just got our new pup and took out for a night... it's been at the RV shop for repairs. There is a wide gap on the outside the door frame. The door closes snug inside its frame once hung but the quarter panel looks to be pulled away... we had to stuff plastic bags and rags in the gap. The RV dealership said they're waiting on the engineers at Jayco for recommendations. I'm not liking how this feels.
    We bought this Jayco brand new and feel we bought a defective pup.
    Anyone else have this trouble?

Attached Files:

2. Douggro

Douggro Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I'm gonna ask a silly question: what are those hinge plates for on the door frame that have nothing attached to them?
    Have you checked that the side walls of the door side are true down the length of the body? The top seals correctly? You can check the true of the walls with a piece of string pulled from the front to the rear corners.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    The hinges are for the travel door. Catz, I had the exact same problem on my '14... perhaps not quite as extreme, but same spot. I didn't want someone else messing with it so I loosened up the aluminum trim and "cheated" it square. Recaulked and secured then added filler shims on the inside... it's been good for three years. All I can say is this industry really needs to step up their quality control - no one seems to even care.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sadly all camper manufacturers need to step up with quality control not just Jayco. Too many new ones are spending time in the shop for warranty work than out having fun. One would have thought you would have less problems with new, and in a way that's true once you get the bugs worked out first.

5. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Agreed... the first summer with mine included numerous surprises/ projects but has been pretty good since.

6. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Keep in mind that many (all?) RVs are built on piece-work.. the more you build, the more you get paid.
    So things get rushed, or done the quickest/cheapest way and quality suffers. As long as it looks good enough to get it out of the showroom door, that's OK. I've spent the first few months of owning a brand new Jayco hybrid, just fixing stuff. Things like fastening down the interior wall that simply wasn't attached to anything at one side...

7. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My guess would be there is something in the door rail on the outside that is pushing up on the door to make it crooked or that the door latches on the ceiling are to far back?

We're camping now and it seems the only way I could make that happen is by twisting the door in the direction of the back of the camper. The outside door rail prevents me from pushing it out to make a gap that big.

Weird

Attached Files:

8. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    The OP has a one piece door... the opening in the box is not square.

9. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I feel like you'd be able to eye-ball it and see it's not square. How's the travel door fit? I feel like as off as this is the travel door would be a dead giveaway to this type of gap.

I should add I was just saying what I can tell from our own campers (I have one, my father purchased one). Not that it is built correctly.

We're just starting to have issues with ours, (purchased last year July), so I'm starting to wonder on the overall quality.

10. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Unfortunately, I had the same issue with mine (and it was new)....

11. curls

curls Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Our 2006 Jayco has the same issue.
    I may one day do what neighbormike did and cheat it square.
    I do find if I tighten the stabilizers on the door side about 1/2 to 3/4 of a crank more than "snug" I must slightly bend the frame into a slight 'U' and it closes the gap at the top of the half wall at the door enough to be noticeably more snug fitting.