JayCo Popup Rebuild (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by DFire2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Today's progress was routing drawer faces and cabinet doors, painting them. But our biggest job today was building the inner frame for the far-side cabinets...

First though, was the routing, came out really nice!
    [​IMG]

Then the painting...
    [​IMG]

And here's the fun part, getting the cabinet supports done and getting the fit right for the fridge...
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow we plan on finishing that cabinet, hopefully get the drawer sliders installed! It's a long process but we're making headway!

2. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    So today was great. I got the cabinet supports, drawer sliders, and fridge mount all done!

Got the fridge all mounted and everything. Ended up using a couple pieces of leftover 1/2" plywood for a "floor", then a couple more on the sides to hold it straight. The fridge did though have to be somewhat "modified". The two feet on the floor were adjustable, however the back ones were simply just bumped out metal, so I had to get out my angle grinder and cut them off, I'll get pics of it my next time out there.

The drawer slides didn't come out as perfect as I wanted, so I had to re-cut and remeasure some of them, using some shim pieces at times. The bottom drawer needed it's own special mount because it doesn't go all the way through (wheel well).

Fridge mounted.
    [​IMG]

First drawer working!
    [​IMG]

Bottom drawer done. Better view of fridge mount.
    [​IMG]

Full assembly back in the camper.
    [​IMG]

And with drawers...
    [​IMG]

I ended up having to assemble all 3 pieces of the cabinet together outside, then lifting it in and through the back bunk with the help of my wife and dad. My wife and I could lift it easily together. I doubt this entire assembly weighs much, maybe 80lbs at most.

My wife mostly worked on the doors and drawer faces, applying multiple coats of paint and sanding lightly in between. I should be able to get the cabinet doors mounted tomorrow. Wife says she wants the counters to be stained a dark shade, like dark walnut. This is news to me, LOL. So I'll be cutting the counters up, staining, then letting set dry while finishing the inside of the cabinet, mounting it to the camper, and wiring the electrical.

3. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    I got the supports done for the smaller cabinet today.

I figured out the inset hinges were actually NOT what I wanted, however, i used the vise to flatten them into what I wanted.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the bottom of the fridge where I had to hack off the permanent (not so much now) feet.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I didn't get to mounting the drawer sliders, the weather kinda prevented further construction ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Drawers all done! Lots of pictures, too!

This is my outdoor workspace...
    [​IMG]

Getting the last of the drawer sliders done...
    [​IMG]

And with them all finished!
    [​IMG]

Now to put the cabinet back in the camper...
    [​IMG]

I installed an extra outlet below the breaker box mount, it will be used for easy access to the fridge power plug...
    [​IMG]

Also installed the outlet next to the door in the cabinet...
    [​IMG]

Now for the drawer/face assembly!

First thing was to center the drawers on the faces, glue and brad them together...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to find the center to drill the knob holes...
    [​IMG]

I drilled the first hole, inserted the bolt, then....uh oh. The knobs each came with a 1" and 2" bolt. Well my drawers are made of 1/2" ply, so yeah the 1" bolt was flush with the face, no threads. So I used the 2" and was too long. I had 2 different ways to solve this a) cut the 2" bolt b) set the 1" bolt into the wood. Since I didn't know where a pair of bolt cutters or equivalent was, setting in the bolt was the best option...
    [​IMG]

And we have threads!
    [​IMG]

And all the knobs put on! Just applied the last coat of paint and sanded down the roughnesses...
    [​IMG]

That's all for today. I'll be screwing down the cabinets to the camper floor next, and hopefully do all the electrical!!

5. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    No work done today, but the drawers came out awesome!
    [​IMG]

DanielFlorida likes this.
  6. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    Waiting to see what your plan is for securing the drawers during travel. This is a very ambitious undertaking. Good job!

7. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    I'm really not sure if I need to. The friction on the wood sliders I think will be enough to keep them closed during transport but easy enough to open, if not I have a backup plan using neodymium magnets and tiny steel plates...maybe.

Could always use the child proof drawer latches too.

8. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Today I got the cabinets fastened down to the camper. Drawers and doors complete! And I started on the electrical, but ran outta time.

First for the doors, I traced out my hinge holes. Oh, i bought a pack of 25ct 3/8" screws for this...wasn't enough screws...but I did what I could.
    [​IMG]

All cabinets finished!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to extend a power wire for an outlet...
    [​IMG]

I started with the power box today and didn't get very far...then realized I forgot about my little "power auto-switch" feature I'm installing, which pretty much reverses my progress on the power box wiring.
    [​IMG]

I have a video I took, but having issues uploading it...will link it later.

9. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Video uploaded!

10. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Lots of stuff done today! Counter tops cut, routed, and stained! One coat looks good enough for what I wanted. Also got electrical wired up and tested!

So the pictures...

Just starting on the counter tops...
    [​IMG]

So far so good!
    [​IMG]

...except one piece. Apparently my electrical center cabinet was not mounted square to the wall, so when I went to set the pieces in place (sry forgot to take picture) I was about a 1/4" short on one end and flush on the other, so I made an inch or so piece of same length and glued/clamped them together so I can hopefully redo this cut to match the cabinet angle.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, onto the progress. The tops have a 1/4" round on bottom edge and bottom edge.
    [​IMG]

Original wood color vs stained color (and no, she is not picking her nose!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were given some carpet pieces (in nice shape), so I cut them to make accent rugs so to speak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Per the electrical, I only had one wire to extend, luckily.
    [​IMG]

All electrical wiring complete! (Like my pen-scratch breaker legend?)
    [​IMG]

This stain came out PERFECT!!! (counters not fastened, just set in place)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll be applying some poly to the counter tops for a finish coat, then hopefully getting that piece re-cut and all. Still have yet to build the step piece.

11. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Member

May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    When you go to re-cut the one countertop, leave yourself at least 1/2 inch excess. Then set it in place square with everything except the outer wall. Use a compass to mark your cut line by running it along the wall. Then trim accordingly.

Awesome progress so far BTW. Look forward to seeing the finished project.

12. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Pretty much, but instead of a compass, I'll just trace a line from the cabinet underneath and cut ;)

13. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Very nice work. I admire those who take the time to build NICE. A slapped together camper looks nice, but will be a disappointment long term!

14. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    The nice part is the cabinetry doesn't even weigh that much, the smaller cabinet I could really lift over my head, the bigger one with the attached bench was easy enough for my wife and I to lift into the camper. I think the counter tops weigh as much as the cabinets though since they're 3/4" ply.

15. gothlips

gothlips New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Colorado
    How did you secure the cabinets in place?

16. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    The actual cabinets themselves? I screwed them to the floor using 2" wood screws, also a couple into the walls to help keep them stabilized.

17. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Ok, so today I started finishing that one counter top. This little project of it's own took much more time than I thought, but completed (besides stain) in about 2hrs.

Here is a starting picture. You can see the mismatched edges more towards the back.
    [​IMG]

So my original plan was just to shim it from underneath or something to make them match. But after a little bit of moving the board around, getting the back corners to meet properly, while keeping them both at same level, I gave up that method. My other alternative would be the fix the two counter tops together via edge. I thought about using dowels, but don't have a tool to make sure the holes are drilled to PERFECT dimensions. So that idea was out. Next one? Use a biscuit joiner? But I don't have one...or do I...?

This is a 1/4" trim molding bit, but doesn't every tool have 1001 uses? [:D]
    [​IMG]

Since my counter tops are made from 3/4" ply, I simply set the bit starting cut 1/4" from the base, making a perfect middle cut. Next thing I had to was find a scrap piece of wood and cut about a 1/4" piece for the "biscuit".

I have never used this bit yet (just bought the bit set about 2wks ago), so I wanted to test it out on something to prove my theory. I piece of 2x6 sounds good. I cut it in half via miter saw then use my biscuit method to "join" it back together. Let's just say I'm glad I did a test run...look at that edge...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unlike the 1/4" round bit, this bit has to be kept perfectly flat at ALL TIMES! Or this happens to your edges...

After learning this bit, I decided to take this bit of knowledge go to the counter tops!

I first did a good 6" test cut just to make sure all was good.
    [​IMG]

Woohoo! Then I just finished that cut, and also cut the other counter top as well and tested my biscuit piece.

I on purpose did not cut all the way through for obvious reasons, lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks great right!? But what about holding these together while the glue dries? So back into the camper I went to see my cabinet supports and where they were. Guess what was under this seam? NOTHING! (as shown below)
    [​IMG]

So now I can make myself a good underneath brace! I took some scrap 3/4" and went to work! Using some clamps to hold the counter tops in place for hole drilling and such.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All glued and screwed into place! Notice my daughters doodling, hence why this part of the counter tops is on the BOTTOM!

Well that's it for today! Tomorrow? Staining, water sealing, poly coating, fastening!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]