Jayco suspending production of folding trailers, temporarily ?

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by kitphantom, Jan 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I subscribe to an online RV newsletter, and one article today was about Jayco temporarily suspending production of the Jayco line, until demand rebuilds.
    https://www.rvtravel.com/jayco-halts-production-of-folding-trailers/

2. MattF350

MattF350 Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    Good thinking, business wise. Supply and demand.

3. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    This should help the used popup market. If you can't tow the TT a pup is the only option other than a tent.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    PUP sales are down. A small TT is as cheap or cheaper that the PUP's are as in everything else if it cannot support itself then the money is used in another area that is making the money it's a shame as Jayco has made PUP's for a long time, over the years I have owned 3 Jayco PUP's all new and a couple of used ones and they were decent units. But it is a sign of the times and keeping a business afloat.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Depressing. Jayco already was bought out. So things were already changing on their build quality. However I just hope this isn’t a sign to what is to come. The reason pop ups are so expensive now I think is because there are so few brands on the market now and dealers can crank up the price as they ate up all the competition. Grant you the price for small TT and hybrids have gone down drastically and dealers are able to lie through their teeth that small vehicles like a minivan can tow them no problem. For a person who hasn’t done their homework soon find themselves upgrading their tow vehicle sooner then they expectedy or allow the camper to wither away unused because it wasn’t fun towing it.

7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Katskamper likes this.
  8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Makes me glad we upgraded to our high wall (my dream PUP!) last fall in case prices start rising on the used market!

9. Rayar3

Rayar3 New Member

Jan 27, 2019
    The Jayco dealer was using the fact they were stopping production as a selling point to me. I just couldn’t wrap my head around the artificially inflated MSRP. $17k for a 10’ box and “discounted” to $10.5k didn’t seem like a deal. Maybe they need to stop and reboot.

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Perhaps if/ when they bring them back, they will have figured out how to put a little more quality into them! (Yes, I am aware quality is an industry-wide issue and the problem isn't limited to popups.)