Jeep Cherokee as tow vehicle

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by 3amigos, Oct 1, 2018.

1. 3amigos

3amigos New Member

Mar 18, 2018
    we recently bought a flagstaff T21tbhw...aframe trailer. We love it! We are considering a new tow vehicle and have been told many tow this type of trailer with a Jeep Cherokee. We would be looking at a a v6 engine that has a towing capacity of 4500lbs. Our trailer is 2500lbs unloaded. We pack light. What are your thoughts on this vehicle paired with this trailer? Thanks!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    It should work fine according to your numbers. Make sure you have a tow package, but if it doesn't, you will want to beef up the tranny cooler and maybe add some air bags for the suspension.

3amigos and Rusty2192 like this.
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    There is a saying that almost no one here has heard of. "Just because you can do something does not mean that you should "
    Check online resources for professional opinions.
    Ike guantlet for Jeep is one.

xxxapache and 3amigos like this.
  4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Tow capacity is definitely in check. The only thing that really needs more consideration is the tongue weight. That pup has a dry tongue weight of 372 lbs and it will only go up from there, especially if you put much in the front storage trunk. Check to see what the Jeep (and any other TV candidates) can handle both with and without a WDH. Then check to see if the pup can handle a WDH.

3amigos likes this.
  5. 3amigos

3amigos New Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify...our trailer doesn’t have the dormer, so tongue weight is 309 unloaded.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Figures a Toyota guy would say that about a Jeep. I'd say it can handle it because Jeep meant it that way. You're both in about the same weight classes...

1380ken likes this.
  7. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Toyota vs Jeep has nothing to do with it. Get up and get over it. My two trail riding buddies both have Jeeps.

8. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I bought a Tahoe to pull so I'm quite over both classes, I assure you [:D] Heck, I send my minivan in to do all this pup pulling duty, no sweat @ 190k. [MOD][MOD][MOD]

9. Tkantak1

Tkantak1 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    My wife and I bought a new Jeep Cherokee With the V-6. It pulls our 2500 lb camper pretty well. just give yourself plenty of space to stop. Fast stops can get a little hairy.

10. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    If your pup has electric brakes, I suggest you invest in a brake controller. I have one and it makes a big difference even though I have a half ton RAM as a tow vehicle.

I wish my boat trailer had electric brakes.

11. Tkantak1

Tkantak1 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I do need to invest in a brake controller. However, Im not so sure the electric brakes on the trailer work. I suppose it probably wouldn't take much to get them working if they don't?

12. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    There are a bunch of videos on YouTube on electric trailer brakes and brake controllers. Electric brakes aren't very complicated. Even better if you know someone that can help you out!

13. Tkantak1

Tkantak1 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I will definitely look into it! Stopping is gooood LOL

BikeNFish likes this.
  14. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Brakes are nice. Our truck's braking system is rated to stop the weight of truck-plus-popup without trailer brakes but it feels better with them.