Jekyll Island CG...First Trip of the Year Booked

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by scubacamper, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Okay with the Government shutdown EVERYTHING as far as our State Parks here in FL for President's Day weekend is SLAMMED so we looked to GA and Jekyll Is. has a CG at their island SP that seems pretty nice but we've never camped there...anybody have any thoughts. I spoke to the young lady at the Ranger station and until Late January none of their sites are specifically reserved so right now they have us between 2 class A's but she said when we check in to let them know and they'll see if they have something better for us as they will still be able to manipulate the spots.

If anyone has any thoughts on this place I'd be interested though it's about the only thing available at a decent price $43 per night, close to home.

Thanks

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We camped at Jekyll Is in december, for 2 nights. I dont think is a state park? It's a private campground. Very nice place to visit. CG is okay, showers are very old. I think the entire Island is private, is great. The beaches are are well preserved and are what you would have found in the 1940's with the natural growth, but the beach showers and walkways are from the early 2000's.

In the early 1900's, the island was a private Island owned by a handful of the very wealthy. Very clean island and many things to see on it.

CS are close together, not sure I would want to be between two "A". Very nice bike and walking trails. We would go back but only for 2 nights.

FYI, there is a entrance fee to the island, like $6. You can use you receipt to get back on the island for the next 24 hours, then you pay again.

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I wrote a review of the campground you may find useful. I have our favorite sites. Bring your bikes because you'll love the trails. If it's too cold for you, you can easily get around by golfcart or car.

The short version is that JI is a public private island. The state leases property to owners. The CG is private and is not much to write home about. We stayed there in february and most Class A people never came out. It's quieter than the summertime!

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/ga-jekyll-island-campground.88176/#post-1121896

scubacamper likes this.
  4. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks for the insight, this was helpful and since it's only 3 nights we'll survive plus we'll be spending a lot of time at the beach (yes in February) and at the Turtle Rescue Center. Also the young lady on the phone said they have been making changes to the campsites...up grading and making the sites better which may mean a $ increase in the future...again, thanks.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Awesome. We like the beach in February. Enjoy the turtle center. You get up close and personal with the turtles in the hospital. They might have a release scheduled when you go down.

scubacamper likes this.