Jonesing to go camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by crazymama30, Dec 2, 2018.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

I am not a cold weather camper, nor do I care to tow the pup on icy roads. I so am getting cabin fever. I think I might try to go scope out some new boondocking places.

For those of you stuck at home during the winter, how do you cope?! I never missed camping this much before. Good thing I am working extra shifts this month, I wont have time to miss it.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I feel your pain. I look at maps to plan next year’s trips. Review my camping photos and read our Southen member’s trip reports.

Camping Family likes this.
  3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Become unstuck.

Work on camper and, if possible, head south. Currently installing Weboost cell booster and Victron battery monitor, and TPMS. I work for myself and always try to take Jan off. Will head south for a 3-4 weeks after the holidays. Will probably do ~3000 miles. If the Pats make it to the superbowl then we will try to be back home for a superbowl party in early Feb. If not, who knows.. ;)

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Work on the camper and make next years plans.

5. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Roads are too bad to head south, and I don't want to pull the pup on icy roads and the roads to the south? Get much worse before they get better.

I would love to work on the pup, but it is under a carport and there is not enough space to pop it up. I don't want to pull it out of the carport and pop it up as we can get anywhere from 4 inches and have gotten 3 feet of snow before. Plus, I am too much of a weenie to work outside when it is below freezing.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm just like you, although I can do some freezing temps, when it gets to the negatives I draw my line. I then rely on posts on here and live through others camping trips. Planning trips for 2019 is also a great way to help, or researching any big trips I want to go on. However taking off on a week day is very difficult for me so usually can't go far.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I admit we're blessed to have a longer season than many in more northerly regions, but we still tend not to camp in the winter. These days, our last trip is usually for Thanksgiving, and first is generally in March.
    I cope by planning next year's adventures, and mods/repairs. The campers have always lived in our driveway, and we did a renovation on our first one there during an especially cold winter. Couldn't do that now with my creaky joints, but with the TT we can turn on heat and work inside; under the cover,since it has zippers for access.
    This forum and some FB pages, along with general internet info and our books, also help me cope

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Even if you're not wealthy, as Shakespeare intimated, the world is your oyster, so many things to do, so many places to visit. 'Though some here may find this heresy camping is not the be all, end all of life :shocked: ... forget camping for awhile and look for other interesting diversions to occupy your time until warmer camping weather returns, there's plenty if you look. :)

Pommom70 likes this.
  9. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We usually plan a trip south as we hate the snow. But this year i rented a house in a ski resort for a week. A bit remote but it will be fun. I rented 2 snowmobiles for a day for me and wife to ride with 2 kids. We also planning other trips. I work on my motorcycles planning track days and road trips.

i got a drone this winter and been learning to fly and race with my son in our backyard. few glow sticks and a few racing drones....its fun

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If I can't go out, I will try to spend a weekend driveway camping. I was going to go camping for Christmas weekend, but decided I really needed to skip it so I can focus on some other things instead for a change. So my next trip will be in January. That will give me time to do some cleanup and reorg in both the clipper and the FnR before heading out again.

I do think having the two campers is taking up a lot of weekends even with just one trip a month. I spend the first weekend prepping the clipper (filling and emptying tanks, etc), then camp the next weekend, then do clean up the next weekend, then prep the FnR, then camp, then clean up, and repeat. Seems like there are no weekends to do other things. So, by taking December off camping, I have 4 weekends to do stuff for the house before starting in on the campers again. Will be much easier when I'm retired!

11. paepae805

paepae805 Member

This is a perfect thead to be started. I am having withdrawals myself. I got our new PUP in June so we had about a half of season in and looking forward to a full season next year. I got ours in the garage in mid October for a long winter's nap. I have been doing the same in planning some trips for next year. We are in the midst of getting vacation days secure for next year so that has forced me in a good way to plan weekend getaways.

I also got in the mail this weekend my black friday purchase a 17" Blackstone Griddle. That was nice to get. There are a few other items I want to get as well for next season. There is also the yearly RV Show here in Green Bay at the end of January that I am looking forward to as well.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Stuck? We occasionally wintercamp and of course we ski. We XC daily and started up here a few weeks ago.. I'll add some photos in case someone doesn't know what snow is about.
    Deep CH snow adventure woop.b.jpg
    Gromit and Sandy  ski in CR.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    stacey short and nhlakes like this.
  13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I know all I need to about snow! Thank you very much!

Like others, I live vicariously through others on this and a couple other camping forums who are fortunate enough to live in warmer parts of the world. I also became a reluctant collector of Coleman lanterns earlier this year. I have three that are not working as they should. My plan is after the Kansas City Chiefs win the Super Bowl in February to spend a few Sunday afternoons at the kitchen table "working" on these lanterns. [:)C]

neighbormike and nhlakes like this.
  14. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

Are those recent pics? Is there snow in Houghton already? We've avoided it so far other than a few dustings down in the Detroit area. The trouble with our season here in Michigan and I'm sure in other northern areas, is that you really only get a few months of ideal conditions to camp, then you're cooped up the rest of the year dreaming about going again. Plus, everyone is trying to squeeze their vacation into the same window of time so the best parks are overcrowded. I envy the people in the really warm climates who can camp at off times and spread their vacations out a little further.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We do not have the snow or ice enough to slow us down, however all the rain lately and the recent hurricanes we have had, and all the rain (most of the camp areas are torn completely up) makes me hesitate for awhile anyway, at least until all the downed trees have been cleared up and the heavy rains have abated..

16. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Speaking as a Michigan Tech grad… yeah, there's snow in Houghton. Maybe it'll be gone by May. [LOL]

17. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Maybe try a Camp Driveway? It's a good way to test your heating system—and hey, if it doesn't work out, bolt to your warm bed and figure out what you need to make it more comfortable later.

18. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I sure understand your feelings.
    We live in southern NM, and usually can go camping almost all year. Little buddy heater, for day use, solar panel for battery health, layers of both clothing and blankets; these things make camping possible. Several years ago we met family in Albuquerque and all camped in a little RV park. we had icicles hanging off the edges of the small class C. (not a good idea)
    this year we went on a trip to the west, and missed some good camping weather over thanksgiving. Like others, we are hardside campers. always a class B or C or travel trailer. A few times we camped in pop ups in March and the water froze. nothing cracked, and we had fun. the younger one is, the easier it can be. Unless you are taking little kids, then it's another story.
    cabins and snow days, etc. all good ideas.
    we have a lot of good locations that stay relatively mild, but one time we went camping and our furnace conked out and we were miserable. So I think if you can't watch for mild spells in the weather, or head south or west, go out doors, read blogs, make plans for spring.
    for us, spring means terrible wind and dust, so we actually have to plan for those.

19. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

No, those photos are from years past. We've had snow for maybe a month up here, but its still rather shallow and not the best for XCing yet. If you go to the dogs blog, you'll see some. http://trailmuttreports.blogspot.com/

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Windy season can be miserable! I had to spend the night in Lordsburg, on my way from ABQ to Tucson a couple of years ago, when the dust storms were so bad. They closed I-10 about the time I got off the road, which I didn't know until the next day.
    We have a non-camper trip planned in Feb., but that should be OK. Sort of camping though, we're staying in a cabin at the Tucson KOA.
    I have plans to go to Tucson with the trailer at the end of March, so I'm hoping to get there without having to stop on the way out. Since I'll be south of Tucson for the last part of the trip, I'll stop in Willcox on the way home, which will be good if it is windy/dusty, since it's usually not too bad in the morning.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018