JUGS-Water Ones That Is

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Ashley Hancock, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Ashley Hancock

Ashley Hancock New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    We are redoing a 1996 Coleman Fleetwood Taos, it has a pump sink we are sticking with because we like suffering. We need a new water jug for it as the old one is original and filled with orange grime. Do we need something special to work with the pump sink?
    Would this work?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTI0GA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_14?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B000MTI0GA

Dan from Troup likes this.
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Don't see why it wouldn't work. You jus want to be able to secure it when traveling to prevent spillage

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I assume you placing it where the old one is. If so, as long as it fits then do it. As Joet stated above, just make sure to secure it. Also remember to clean and sanitize it before you use it. Also remember to let it dry out after a trip.

4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Click bait brought me in, turns out I'm a sucker for puns. Piers Anthony might be an old high school influence, but I'm not all super Scifi. Worth a read if you're looking for a good old book, folks.

I've used jugs of all types as water storage. So long as you cleaned and sanitized them, whatever holds water. My dad keeps gallons in those old huge tide bottles. They have a nice spout for cleaning / dumping water and since they are Tide they must be clean.... I'd bet he drinks out of them, too [?:~{]

You can find old 5 gallon jugs from some Asian food places. I keep drain oil in a free one from the place in town but would make a nice water jug. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5QBIY...&pd_rd_r=7c43e56b-85d6-11e8-914f-9f4b0c666b45

WVhillbilly likes this.
  5. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Funny title. [RTM]

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Just remember that a tube for the hose thats fit thru the cap needs to go all the way to bottom.

J Starsky likes this.
  7. J Starsky

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Zip tie a weight to it - old plastic spoon? I'd done that running syphons from can to can before. Hot, Juggy tip, Ray!

8. sceri

sceri Active Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    If the "JUGGS" were filled with orange grime, I'd look to replace the lines as well....

9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Can't speak to the "Juggs" ...well I could BUT...welcome to the PUP from a fellow photog north of the 4th.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

"Orange grime" is probably just rust/minerals from the water. Not pretty, but not bad for you either.

11. Ashley Hancock

Jul 12, 2018
    So the pump sink will work with any water container then? How do you recommend securing it?

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    One other thing to make sure of is that the pickup hose is sealed where the hose goes into cap of the jug, if it leaks you could have a problem and at the very least lose your water.

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
  14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You can get creative like 2 eye hooks and a ratchet strap, a box that it fits in snug or use the metal strapping that @generok linked to build a holding rack. I dont recommend using Bungee cords because they move to much.

15. J Starsky

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Strap steel could be the best and cheap idea. You'll find it in your local hardware store. Not hard to remove either.
    https://goo.gl/images/yxa5Wf

16. sceri

sceri Active Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    Maybe so, but I still wouldn't want to drink from it; especially if I didn't have too....

17. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
  18. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    If this sink is going to provide drinking water don't you need to make sure the jug is safe for food products (human consumption) ? That septic jug may leak chemicals into your water.

Edit. Its a scepter not septic jug, I miss read the amazon link. My first question still stands.

Ashley Hancock likes this.
  19. Ashley Hancock

Jul 12, 2018
    Great point. I think I will probably just bring bottles of water. So the sink will be washing hands and rinsing things off. Which I do guess still qualifies.

20. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    IF you have the height to fit that style of jug for water, I agree there is no reason that it shouldn't work. The original jug that came with mine is much 'flatter' and has a larger footprint, so it does not really need to be secured into place, the weight of the water itself holds it. It just sits on the floor in the cabinet that houses the sink, directly above. We use our on-board water only for hand wash and preliminary rinsing of items like you stated above. Bottled water for drinking/coffee if needed.

One thing I found with my setup, if the hose to the pump has any bends/kinks, it does not draw as well from the jug.