July / August 2010 Recipe of the Month

Discussion in 'Recipe of the Month' started by PopUpSteve, Jul 19, 2010.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    July / August 2010 Recipe of the Month

Title: Campfire Cobbler (Dutch Oven)

Cook Time: 60 minutes

Serving Size: 6-8 people

Ingredients:
    • 1 stick butter
    • cinnamon or brown sugar
    • 2 envelopes instant oatmeal
    • 1 yellow cake mix
    • 2 cans cherry pie filling

Equipment:
    • cooking spoon
    • dutch oven
    • can opener
    • largebowl
    • knife

Directions:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Empty pie filling into cast iron dutch oven.
    [*]In large bowl mix cake mix and oatmeal. Cut butter into dry ingredients to form crumble topping. Pour mixture over pie filling.
    [*]Sprinkle cinnamon or brown sugar on top of crumble mixture.
    [*]Place ducth oven on top of 6-8 hot charcoal briquettes and 6 to 8 hot briquettes on top of lid. Bake 45 min to one hour. Be sure to rotate duch oven and lid to avoid burning.
    [/list]

Comments and Thoughts Welcome!

Click Here to learn how the contribute a Recipe or Read Previous Ones!

2. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Plumas County, CA
    Sounds good! [:)O]
    While working at a scout camp, we had a weekly cobbler contest. Ate some great cobbler and some not so edible cobblers. One troop used fruit cocktail and added walnuts to the crumble topping. Makes me hungry thinking about it. :)

3. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

Will make sure DH sees this. He does DO cooking demos for Cub Scout pack every spring, and is always looking for a new recipe. Sounds like a good one!

4. bobkat

bobkat Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    What size of DO do you use for this recipe?

5. Buddy Ter

Buddy Ter New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    The measurements look like what I use for my 12".

That's a great idea, adding the instant oatmeal. I wonder if you could skip the brown sugar and cinnamon if you used brown sugar and cinnamon oatmeal. I'll try it and report back.

6. Bishop Ramblers

Bishop Ramblers New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Hellol,
    I am new to DO cooking and am having a great time learning how. Thank you for this recipe! I used this recipe while camping this weekend [CP].

I used my 10 inch DO and I made a few modifications. I used quick oats instead of instant, I did not have any instant on hand. I used Splenda brand brown sugar along with cinnamon and some nutmeg. It turned out fantastic!

I love the idea of adding walnuts to this recipe, it would be a nice addition. I did not have any available, but will stock the walnuts and make sure I try that on the next cobbler.

Thank you again!

7. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

May 30, 2008
    Herndon, VA
    we do this same recipe, and we use the 10" DO

8. mrsk

mrsk New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I've made DO cobblers often, and recommend lining the DO cobbler with heavy duty foil first. That way you have easy clean-up. Also, if you don't have canned pie filling, you can use canned fruit and add sugar and corn starch to it. Did it with canned peaches over the weekend and it was fabulous!

9. huiru

huiru Guest

I did not have any available, but will stock the walnuts and make sure I try that on the next cobbler.

10. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Apr 5, 2008
    Mt. Washington, NH
    delicious! 'nuff said

11. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    For the canned peaches version - do you pour in the juice or just the peaches?

12. HammelBrau

HammelBrau Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Boise, ID
    We cooked this TREAT up a couple weeks ago when camping with several families. FYI, we did 1 can of light cherry pie filling, 1 can of regular (DW trying to cut calories) and it came out fine. We even sprinkled chopped pecans on 1/2 of it for the nut-lovers in the group. This was a real crowd pleaser, for sure. It even had several leaving that weekend saying they were going to go purchase a DO so they could do desserts like that.

My question, to the cobbler/DO pros - how in the wide wide world of sports do I easily clean my DO after doing cobbler? Most of my DO recipes to date have been full of fluid (meat cooked in beer) so I haven't had much issue with cleaning up. After this recipe, I had some good cherry pie filing caked/baked on to the sides of the DO. I have seen people in the past line their DO with foil and I'm guessing that might keep cleanup to a minimum, but guessing my DW might object to this as it is contributing foil to the landfill (a feller just can't win these days)!

Any input is welcome. Thanks MUCH for this crowd-pleasing recipe!!! Cheers...jeff

13. alexliz05

alexliz05 New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    I tried it this weekend and it was delicious!! I used 2 cans of apple pie filling & cooked it on the gas stove.