Just Venting

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by BirdLand, May 2, 2011.

1. BirdLand

BirdLand New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Just need to vent - I returned from a weekend at Delaware Seashore State Park and CANNOT BELIEVE the amount of trash that people leave behind at the walkway bordering the inlet! I mean, there are all kinds of unused bait, remains from gutted fish, coffee cups, beer cans, fishing line, cigarette butts, and also several 5-gallon buckets that were obviously used by restaurants. Some of the litterers bagged up their trash into plastic bags and tied these bags to the railings lining the inlet; on one hand it was nice that they bagged their trash and secured it from blowing around, but if you're willing to make that kind of effort, why not take it to a dumpster (need to mention that DSSP is a carry-in, carry-out park, and this is clearly posted)?

Sorry to go on, just needed to vent - I'm sure a lot of people have similar concerns - thanks for listening!

2. yogi

yogi New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Unfortunately, from what I have noticed at the elementary school I work at, many many children are clueless about littering. I was born and raised here in Oregon, and I recall having Woodsy the owl and the Native American with the tear running down his face, school and most of all, my parents teach us not to litter. I have beat this into my kids heads their whole lives. I am not trying to put blame on anyone or sound as though I'm against other cultures, but it is many of those kids who have not been taught this. I have to assume their parents weren't either. Of course, there are plenty in our own culture guilty also.

I get the kids at school to help pick up trash in the playground during recess. As we go along, I am always saying how horrible it makes our world look and what it would look like if nobody ever picked up their garbage. They are very understanding and willing to help if we just keep reminding them.

I believe it is our job to keep pushing this lesson and speak our peace out loud as we pick up after these people. Teach our children to teach their friends and family to keep our Country Green. [{:)]

3. I try to teach young boys that lesson, and it does startle me that some of them not only have no clue about littering, but seem almost indignant about having to clean up after themselves.

To be fair, I've met a fair number of adults with the same attitude.

Check out Leave No Trace for some good tips. This is what we teach our boys in Scouts.

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    This is a thread I wanted to start for quite awhile. Litter is a major pet peeve of mine. It is a rare CS that does not have some type of trash on it. Maybe small pieces, but still shows carelessness. Why bother going someplace if you do not respect it.

5. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    It's the world we live in now days. So many people have no consideration or respect for anyone else. They pass that same attitude to their children....look out only for number one and to hell with everyone else.

Progress may be great for technology and medicine, but as far as manors and appreciating and living with the simple things in life...it sucks!

6. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    My son was born and raised in the keys when he has in kindergarden they were teaching them about ecology. We were on the bridge near our house watching dolphins and tarpon when marine patrol pulled up to the bridge my son demanded they come up to the bridge and see the trash left behind since we always brought a trash bag we were picking the trash up to our suprise the officers began to help the little guy pick it up and they thanked him for his efforts they also gave him a card with a number to call if he saw someone leaving trash on the bridges. the really bad thing is that every bridge has several trash cans at the entrance which is also the exit so you can place trash

7. mommabear

mommabear New Member

Apr 15, 2011
    it really is terrible that although our kids are being taught to recycle and such indoors...but are completely clueless outdoors!!! were very dilgent with our kids training on this, with being military, when we go to a site to camp we clean it up on arrival...( hate setting up the tent on beer caps!!!!!!) and we do a garbage sweep each evening and a full sweep when were leaving. Tthe odd thing is, dispite my three kids ability to recycle, compost, reuse ect...and their diligence when camping...they still leave popsicle sticks and juice boxes all over the back yard [?:~{]

8. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Charles
    lol.....good to see that my kids aren't the only one's that know what "police call" means or "police their area."

9. NetDad

NetDad New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    My kids (all boys) get this lesson all the time. We are active in scouting, but even before they were old enough for that, I made sure they knew how to leave a CG cleaner than when you got there.

My extended family gets together every year at one CG. Usually 40-60 of us. Since I have one of the longest drives, I don't leave till the morning when I can get a full drive. In exchange for not having to do a lot of dishes and stuff the last night, my boys and I pattern walk the whole part of the CG we all used. Most family leaves the evening before. So the morning of departure we pack up the PUP and then do like I was taught in scouts: line up and criss cross walk the whole area picking up everything that nature did not put there.

The place is always cleaner than we find it when the family arrives. The CG owners love us I am sure.

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    We do an annual "lake cleanup" here and usually have about 100 volunteers show up.When I take the kids for walks we always pick up trash I make a game out of it and they have a blast. What I try to hammer home is something I learned from Recycled Fish www.recycledfish.org and that is "Our lifestyle flows downstream" meaning that while you may be in a parking lot miles from water but eventually that candy bar wrapper will end up in the water. To me it is less about the appearance than the ecology but whatever your reasons for "leaving no trace" Thank You :)

11. maromeo

maromeo Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Over Easter Weekend we actually had a park ranger thank us for leaving our site so clean. She said it is horrible how some campers leave their sites, with garbage and all kinds of things left behind and they expect the rangers to pick up after them. I have taught those rules of picking up after yourself, throwing trash into the trash cans or bag it up if we have to carry it out. The other thing I taught my children is to respect other camper's sites. Do not walk into or through unless you are invited.

I made sure my DD was there when the park ranger talked to us so she could hear for herself how much they do appreciate it.

Mary

12. huizarr

huizarr Member

Nov 19, 2009
    We 'police the area' while we are camping. I always tell my DD's we have to leave it better than we found it. It was something I was taught in boy scouts. Now I want to pass that lesson onto my kids. These days I see 2 Timothy 3:1-5 being fulfilled and I think it is a shame.

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    hizarr - Did the same with my kids and they are now responsible adults.

14. BirdLand

BirdLand New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    for everyone who mentioned Scouts, school, and the LNT campaign - I couldn't agree with you more. I think that hearing an idea from multiple sources really validates it for a child. I also agree that parents play a big part in shaping the child's habits. My own personal example: I never thought about the aesthetic or environmental impact of cigarette butts, until my mom found out that I smoked (as she did) and told me that I was free to smoke at home provided I safely disposed of the butts in the trash where they belonged; if one butt, match shard, streak of match carbon, or tobacco shred was found in the yard, my smoking privileges would be permanently revoked. We all quit smoking many years ago, but her lesson of "leave it as clean as you found it" is something I will never forget - I never really thought about it till then; but it has become my personal standard. It really hit home; if she hadn't intervened, I might not have realized the litter impact until much later in life, and who knows how much more cigarette waste I might have deposited. It sounds silly, but her rules really made me think about life's larger picture regarding litter.

Sorry if that's an over-share; just needed to say that even though your child might be rolling their eyes while you talk, they really DO listen sometimes! Don't think the parental lecturing/rules are always ignored!

Again, thanks for listening and sympathizing!

PS. for those whose children still forget to pick up after themselves, my two are 13 & 15 and despite much nagging and such, still forget...don't beat yourself up, as any parent knows that the best that you can do is try your best/hardest!

15. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Like many other things in life, it's how you were trained and how you train your kids. Some people grew up (I guess) with no training and will continue through ignorance or apathy to be slobs. Thank goodness, most campers, from my observation, have a healthy respect for the outdoors, their personal campsites, and how they conduct themselves. We pick up after others and get annoyed when we find litter sitting around the garbage collectors. Now that is just plain lazy and stupid!

16. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Oct 12, 2008
    LNT is fantastic- raise my kids by the same philosophy being a former scout myself (in a previous life). And for the Geocachers out there, they have the CITO program (Cache In Trash Out).

17. momule

momule New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I think that us campers are more sensitive to litter than most. I would encourage everyone, and especially those with children, to put 13 gallon bags in their back pockets and use them while camping. The empty bag weighs nothing and we try always to bring back something to dispose of correctly when we go out on a walk around. Just seeing others do that plants a seed which is one of the reasons why I do it. We always leave a place cleaner than we found it and we are no saints in any way.

18. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

May 20, 2010
    I understand the frustration...

When I was climbing Pikes Peak last summer on foot, I kept running into human feces in the craziest places. Right next to streams/rivers, 2 feet off the trail, sometimes smack dab in the MIDDLE of the trail.

People just don't seem to have a healthy dose of respect for the great outdoors anymore.

- Hakrjak [:)C]

19. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

Jan 3, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    I can understand your frustration, you may know that I belong to ORCC. ORCC has a Stream Team that cleans streams in Missouri. So we see everything form beer cans/bottles, trash, tires, but the biggest thing we see, are plastic water bottles and pastic grocery bags. The plastic water bottle/grocery bags has to be the worst containers ever invented for the environment.

I posted on another thread a product that is available, its called TRASHAROO. Its a large lined canvas backpack for your rear tire or tailgate. Its a great product, it will hold a lot of weight. If your boondocking and your in a location, that you need to haul out your trash, this is the product you want. Trash stays outside the vehicle and contained.

20. BirdLand

BirdLand New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    We always take trashbags along and pick up whatever trash is in the area, whether it's on the beach, campsite, park, wherever. I started the thread to simply vent about how angry it made me that people do not dispose of their trash properly.

I also did something else rather than being outside picking up such trash; the idea came to me while typing my original post (which was typed while I was my pj's, btw).

I looked up the email address of the store whose name is emblazoned on about 85% of the bags (this has been the case for the last couple years; it is not a widely known chain like Acme or Thriftway - there are only a couple of stores in the states neighboring the park). I sent them an email saying that while I realize that they can't control their customers, would it be too much trouble, for the sake of their environment, to please post a couple signs (or something similar) reminding their customers to please not litter.

I received a reply indicating that they have received numerous complaints about the problem, and that they are implementing plans to start charging for/eventually phase out the plastic bags (unfortunately, just because they say that doesn't mean it will happen).

I do agree that we must act upon our ideas, but just because I am not out picking up 24/7 doesn't mean I don't do it when I am out and about (as opposed to just having showered, changed into pj's, and in for the night). However, I also think that communicating about concerns can be productive as well, even if it does only take the lowly form of venting - it can draw awareness to a problem and give people a chance to exchange ideas as to what to do about it.