just wrote out my summer plans

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by mountaineerFAN1, Mar 13, 2019 at 5:19 PM.

1. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 New Member

I'm so excited!!! We are setting our pup up next weekend to clean and inspect. (I posted on the dewinterize board for help too as a newbie at this). It will be used by friends the first weekend in April and then by us two weekends later.

All summer we go every two weeks except the end of July and the weekend before school starts --- should I make reservations at out favorite place or just pull out and land wherever? Note: due to equipment for disability we need electric hookup, but water we bring our own and our filter. We can travel about 4 hours from home comfortably.

I am a HUGE planner, so I like checklists and itineraries. But there's something about exciting about the thought of just pulling out and flipping a coin!

PopUpSteve likes this.
  2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Due to work issues, I usually have to make plans in advance. That being said, the best times DW and I have had is when she picks a direction and I find a place.

mountaineerFAN1 likes this.
  3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We usually make reservations for the holidays as soon as we can. Otherwise, we don't normally need to make reservations more than a few days in advance.

A couple years ago, because of work and weather I paid more than $100 in cancellation fees.

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

we like to camp in state parks. and here in Maryland - if you need electric hookup, then you usually need reservations. the electric sites book up fast. I find the similar situation for new york state and Penn state parks. commercial campgrounds you may have more luck finding an electric site on the fly (but NOT during a holiday)..... FWIW, we always make reservations. (and they are usually made before the end of Feb).

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You're lucky! I don't attempt to camp over holidays... my normal weekends are booked 4-11 months in advance... I'm a bachelor, so I just pick weekends and go... weather be damned lol

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

just Like galsofescape if you need electric hookups you almost always have to make reservations here at the very least a week in advance, holidays longer. Then again I stick primarily to state parks. I’ve gone out on the fly once but even after pulling in Around 4 found all electric hookup sites gone, but plenty of non hook up sites were available. If I’m going to the beach, months in advance is needed. If you stay at a private campground I don’t have a problem finding a site, but do have a problem finding a site that is quiet. Most of my camping are weekend trips so If I find I have time I just figure out where I want to go and during the week make reservations. It’s not quite as easy to plan way in advance as a lot rides on my finances, my volunteer job and if I’d be able to take off from work. Or I promise mom I would watch her dog when they go see her sister “sometime”, but don’t find out when until I get a text...”The dogs are in your house, we are leaving to RI for three weeks”. They are always spur of the moment type people.

7. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

I'm definitely a book-in-advance type. I'm finding that campgrounds (both public and private) fill up around here. At least the "good" sites - the ones with the hook-ups you want and that aren't next to a dumpster or road or something. Also for us, our weekends always fill with kid activities so by booking in advance it ensures we get family camping time.

8. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

If we had more time off we'd love to just pack up and go! We both work a lot so we plan our trips out months in advanced to make sure we try to get the best sites as possible as well. We do a mix of both public and private campgrounds as well and all of the good campgrounds really pack them in quickly.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We're definitely plan-in-advance, for most trips. In many of the places we like to go in the SW (incl CO), they can be booked far ahead, even in dry-camping USFS campgrounds. We start talking about trips sometime in the fall, since many place we camp have a 6-month reservation window. Our camping season usually begins in March or April, goes through Thanksgiving. We meet Tucson friends for Thanksgiving, in AZ state parks, we'll make our reservations when I see them next week.
    We also plan so that we take the best advantage of my husband's schedule, since he has alternate Fridays off. This year, they coincide with both Memorial Day and Labor Day weeks, so we get an 8 night trip for 3 vacation days. And, we did learn how to go camping on holidays, we avoided them for a long time. We just go places that are more remote, don't have a big draw for the party-only crowd, etc. North Rim of Grand Canyon and a small USFS campground in Colorado, more than half an hour from the nearest town, are reserved for those weeks.
    Planning is part of the fun for us. Some trips have multiple deadlines, so we work with those. For example, we need to reserve 6 months in advance at Grand Canyon, but for Courtenay's backpack portion of the trip, permit requests go in 4 months in advance. That means he makes a request for the time-frame we have reserved, which sort of limits hi chances for more popular routes.

10. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 New Member

Ok, plan ahead for electric sites. Got it!

I have been reading a lot of tips for cold weather camping. We lived in TX and SC, so 40 is cool and 35 is pretty daggone cold to us! We just picked up some of the foam floor tiles to put under the mattresses for comfort. I make the packing lists and food plans, my husband takes cares of tools and setup equipment.

It looks like it may be down in low 20's when our friends use it! I've suggested they take thermal underwear and extra blankets. What's your favorite tip? (And please don't say, stay home!) :}

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Quite a bit you can do to help. Question is, does your camper have a furnace? If not, an electric ceramic heater could help take the chill out of the air. Use Reflectix in your bunk end windows and if you have enough in the main windows. I made blackout curtains which do a pretty good job keeping the heat in as well. If you have time look into PopUpGizmos which think of it like a solar blanket for your bunkends. If it’s breezy the hard part is finding the gaps and block it from seeping in. I’ve done all of these and every little bit helps.

12. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

This gave me a chuckle because I went outside this morning and it was about 35 and I thought "oh it's warming up today, must be spring!"

I also have the foam tiles and they provide a very nice bump up in comfort and insulation. Probably easiest and most impactful mod we've done. We use an electric heater on cold nights. We've camped down to maybe 40 degrees at night and that kept us warm. We don't even have gizmos or reflectix or anything like that. I imagine that would keep the heat in very well, we just haven't gotten around to getting them yet.

neighbormike likes this.
  13. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Gizmos help alot (they also help with keeping the tents cooler in the heat and keep the tent ends clean - so useful). Then use of an electric heater and/or the camper furnace will keep the temps in the camper up.

One thing to be careful about though - people exhale alot of moisture and that will all condense on the inside of tenting - so be sure to crack open a window. air tight is not your friend.