Keep it or pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by moose_mom, Apr 25, 2018.

1. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

Jun 19, 2013
    We have a 2007 Dodge 3500 diesel Megacab that we tow a Niagara HW with and we love it. It has 155k on it with the second transmission. Apart from redoing the front end a couple of times, being harder on brakes and such because of the weight, it has been relatively problem free. At the moment the top of the rear wheel wells are showing rust bubbles which has got us thinking maybe it's time to sell it, get a good return for it and buy something new. DH will be retiring in a couple of years and is pushing for the sell so that we can have a new vehicle paid for before we are living off a decent pension and savings, I want to fix it up and keep it.
    I would appreciate all thoughts and observations.

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Well and get yourself a new or new to you truck!

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    The miles that you drive it right now are the cheapest miles you'll ever drive. I'd keep it. And to pay homage to DH's wishes, start making a payment to a separate bank account. By the time he retires, you'll have enough to buy a new one and you won't even have to pay interest on it. Win/win.

pasobuff and jnc like this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    You can never fix rust permanently. It will return, probably about the time you retire. I'd say sell while it's still worth a good bit.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Keep it. 155k on a diesel is hardly even broke in. If you are concerned about where things are in a couple years, pay into a savings account just like you would if you had a car payment.

What part of the country are you in? I know rust is a bigger issue up north than it is down here in the south, although we deal with sun faded paint and cracked dashes/seats instead.

I would rather run it into the ground, and have enough saved up that I could get a new one when I retired and still not have a payment.

6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

That was the main driver of our choice to trade in our GMC. Small rust spots that started and would not have been cheap to repair. Traded it for our 2014 F150 and I was surprised at what we got offered for a trade in. More than I thought, and we negotiated the deal without a trade in.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would ditch it.

Premature rust is one of the biggest I would never buy a Dodge truck.

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    That should be one of the last 5.9 Cummins...

Not sure where you are, but you can't stay ahead of the rust forever....but you can do A LOT of real body work and still be cheaper than a newer truck that won't do what the 3500 will.

I am seeing the older diesels pretty well depreciate to a point and then stop, I sold mine for more than I paid for it. My gas truck I stand ZERO chance of doing that.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I say it's junk and I'll be by to pick it up tomorrow!

If you have a dodge transmission, might sell it. If it has the Allison transmission, keep it forever. That is the cut and dry in my land.

Save up and buy the next ride in cash. Keep the old dodge and laugh at it while it rust away and your kids fight over it. Cummins diesels and Twinkies will be the only thing left after the nukes fly!

10. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

Jun 19, 2013
    We live on the lower mainland in BC. Fixing the rust would mean a $4-$5k bill because the box would have to be replaced, painted, etc., cheaper if we could find one at an autowreckers. Yes, it's a 5.9, the fuel economy is ridiculous for a truck that size. In two years our mortgage could be paid off, his plan is to sell the truck, buy a new Toyota corolla(our daughter is inheriting the old one-over 500k and has had practically everything replaced over time, runs great). Work an extra year after the mortgage is paid off to by the truck.
    BUT I really love that truck....
    having a hard time letting go and looking for any reason to keep it

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    That is your reason. They write songs all the time about guys ditching their girls because they were unwilling to get rid of a truck, motorcycle, dog, etc. Turn the tables, then write some catchy country song, make a ton of money and retire early.

Problem solved.

J Starsky likes this.
  12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    If you love it, buy a nice flat bed.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I am in the run it to the ground crowd. and I like BelchFire's idea of making payments to yourself.

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    5k to keep a 177 KM Cummins 5.9 on the road is a deal. You will not get anything that nice for 5k.

I put a new box on my 7.3 Ford, paid less than 3k for a fresh from Texas box and put it on myself, was even the same color :)

I likely could have sunk another 5 k in body work in my 7.3 but it had nearly 300k

BelchFire likes this.
  15. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey Farmer Dave
    How did you go about getting a new box from Texas?

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I really love the idea of making payments to yourself in a separate account. in a few years you can revisit your decision. You get to keep your truck, but can pretty much already have enough saved up to buy a new one.

BelchFire likes this.
  17. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    ... and it's cheaper, because you don't pay interest -- you EARN it while you're saving. Win/win.

18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    PM sent