Keeping Popup Plugged in During the Winter

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by mattlreese, Oct 9, 2018.

1. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    As the title says does anyone keep their pup plugged in during the winter to keep the battery charged? I know I could buy a trickle charger, but plugging in the popup is easier.

Pup is garage kept if that matters, garage is not conditioned though.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    When I kept my camper at home, I always had it plugged into shore power.

3. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    If outside un hook battery and put a small solar panel on it. Works for me.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I've seen this question pop up once in a while. There really isn't a right or wrong answer. It's all about personal preference.

Keeping the pup plugged in 24/7 does not appeal to me because it seems like overkill to keep it plugged in just for the purpose of maintaining the battery while everything else has power, including the propane detector and anything else that may be drawing power (intentionally or not).

I store my pup outside during the season and inside (unheated & offsite) in the winter. I always disconnect the battery during the season, then reconnect it and plug in the pup a day or two before I plan to use it. I remove the battery in the off season and use a battery maintainer on it.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  5. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    I store my camper outside during the summer and closed up in an unheated garage in the winter. I keep it plugged in all summer and then in winter storage I disconnect the battery but leave it on the camper and keep a good quality maintainer on it.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    It depends on the converter in the pup. Some will boil the battery which kills life. A trickle charger will also boil a battery. The safest is a maintaine,r preferable a multi stage one with a desulphurization stage. When a battery sits idle, sulphur builds on the plates which kills output

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I remove the battery and store it in the basement. Checking its state of charge every couple of weeks and recharging only as needed. Never have to worry about freezing and if I need a 12 volt power source for a winter project it right there.
    I only plug the camper in if I am outside working on it.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    It depends.

I always upgrade the converter to a quality three stage converter and keep them plugged into power.

Do not leave a poor quality single stage battery boiler plugged into power.

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Had a 3 stage converter in the old pup and now the Darkside unit. It stays plugged up because it doesn’t draw much so why not. I also keep a Schumaker Smart Charger just in case, that I’ve had since my boating days. One thing that won’t happen if I can help it is we get somewhere and the battery is dead.

I remember back in the day car batteries would not last the night, let alone storage but we just hooked jumper cables up and went on. I bet my 2 adult kids don’t even own cables anymore and when was the last time someone asked you for a jump? Seems like once the car makers were forced into Roadside Assistance and the Ins Companies followed suit, batteries seem to be made a little better, lol

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    This is what I do as well, I just bought a maintainer and will go that route. Is freezing not an issue for you in the winter, or does the maintainer help with that?

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    A battery shouldn't freeze if it is kept charged.

I store my boat in my unheated detached garage year round. In the winter, I bring the trolling motor batteries into the basement and use maintainers on them there. As for the starting battery, I unhook it but leave it in the boat with a maintainer on it and have never had a problem.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Mine stays outside next to my shop, I leave it plugged in 24 /7 all the time, my unit has a 3 stage convertor. Being in Fl we camp year round so it stays ready to go.

emoney likes this.
  13. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    In Minnesota, freezing is always a concern, but a fully charged battery won't freeze on a good quality maintainer. I've seen some super cheap maintainers that I steer away from, although I've not tried them.